1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Complicity

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by hobbsyoyo, Jul 31, 2019.

1. Hehehe

Hehehe Emperor

Was that the impression you got from that? Let me highlight some of the key parts for you:

https://nypost.com/2019/06/29/nobel-prize-in-stupidity-holocaust-survivor-wants-aoc-out-of-congress/

I guess I should also note that he's the head of a Holocaust education group "From the Depths", so presumably he speaks for more than just himself

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
  2. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

My answer is not whether if you should be protesting, but what you should be protesting. There are always problems to agitate against. So you pick.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  3. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

Did he make the statement on behalf of From the Depths? If not then you are just making an assumption again.

edit: but again I am making the mistake of following you down the rabbit hole and helping your attempt to distract from the actual subject of the thread.

4. El_Machinae

There are many forms we can take to make the work a better place. Our money is the driver of other people's behaviour. Our spare time can be used to build the world. But, there's always something that should be protested. Every dollar can be spent better. People have just allowed their current lifestyle to be the expected standard.

5. Berzerker

Berzerker Deity

Didn't we just spend close to three decades blowing up Muslim countries?

6. Hehehe

Hehehe Emperor

Presumably. According to the article, the group offered AOC a tour of the actual concentration camps

7. jarred!

jarred! Prince

@Hehehe, you are using an argument from authority. Just because whomever you're quoting is an expert, doesn't make him correct. You would still need to prove that these camps aren't concentration camps.

Edit, I mean, refute the claims they are.

8. El_Machinae

None of this matters! It's not like 'acceptable' is a binary condition.

9. Farm Boy

Farm Boy You gave me my own tail?

Of course it matters. There's status to be had.

10. Gorbles

Gorbles Load Balanced

As the thread is well and truly on this particular track, let me just say:

Calling something a concentration camp is, by itself, not a reference to Nazi Germany. Plenty of countries have operated them, in greater or lesser forms.

If somebody, @Hehehe, that you yourself have noted is apparently new to the thread, simply mentions "concentration camps", and you jump to something about comparisons to Nazi Germany, that's on you. Not on them. They don't have to answer that fabrication, because it was invented by you, in that post just there.

11. Estebonrober

Estebonrober Deity

Fwiw im softer in complicity than most of you I think. I did not consider my family members who support this administration complicit until even after all this they still thought the policy was right on concentration camps. Voting for it moving forward is obviously complicit.

They are exactly like the concentration camps in Germany before the rise of the Third Reich. As the Weimar Republic which was quite friendly in comparison to the rest of Europe at the time established camps for dealing with the Jews fleeing Eastern Europe. Even before the Nazis took power they were vilified for political purposes.

There are numerous differences obviously but of course the point of comparing the two is that we should be wary of the course we are on.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  12. Socrates99

Socrates99 Bottoms up!

Yeah, my response was to your response to Lexicus. It was video of the Trump admin lawyer arguing that soap, toothbrushes and blankets weren't necessary for safe and sanitary conditions.

I never drew the comparison between Donny and Hitler. I only point out that the detention centers fit the dictionary definition of concentration camps. Also, no, he doesn't need to round up all Hispanics to fit the definition. Did you miss the word "political" in there?

13. EnglishEdward

EnglishEdward Deity

Complicity is one of those weasel words that people use in smearing, to try to make one responsible for something disreputable
    or illegal merely because one may have known something about it, irrespective of the fact that one was not actually responsible.

14. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

To be fair, I drew the parallels in the OP and they speak for themselves as many have pointed out. What is going on that is derailing discussion is the deliberate misconstruing of these modern concentration camps with extermination camps in order to discredit the entire conversation and anyone that has anything negative to say about the Trump administration. This is unfortunately a subject which demands nuance which is not something tolerated by people with particular political axes to grind.

I think this is fair but I'd like to point out that most of us are not intending to smear anyone. But you do raise another point which does get at the point of the thread - if you know something truly atrocious is going on, you are responsible to speak up or do something to try and stop it. What counts as truly atrocious and what the various levels of response should be is the question at hand.

15. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

I was watching Orange is the New Black and this season features the detention centers. There is a scene where ICE demands to see the papers of a man visiting his girlfriend in the center and decide to detain him in part because he couldn't talk fast enough to keep up with their questions. At the time I scoffed at it as a piece of theatrical hyperbole. Now I'm horrified.

16. Cloud_Strife

Cloud_Strife Deity

Ice have literally picked up people deemed "illegal" (basically non-whites) that have turned out to be us citizens and yet people still don't think theres any form of racism involved.

Phrossack, Lexicus and Socrates99 like this.
  17. EnglishEdward

EnglishEdward Deity

I am not accusing thread posters of using the word 'complicity' to smear, but it is used that way by lawyers, journalists and politicians.

Well yes, but sometimes merely surviving that is the most people can hope for.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  18. innonimatu

innonimatu Deity

Never, never and nearly never. Only though gifts or eating out (can't police the restaurant's owners...) have I ever consumed those things. It can be avoided, though you can't control what other people do. What I hate is the generalized hypocrisy I see around, of people pretending to be concerned as a means of signaling virtue.

El_Machinae likes this.
  19. Berzerker

Berzerker Deity

if we dont buy clothes from Bangladesh how will they make money?

20. innonimatu

innonimatu Deity

Making stuff for themselves perhaps? Instead of running the damn country as if it were an (industrial) plantation economy.

A world with less international trade would be a far better world. Some trade is necessary, most is just for the sake of squeezing some circumstantial profit through arbitrage. Labour arbitrage especially. Countries, especially smaller countries, can become trapped specializing on some few sectors for export, and utterly dependent on imports of stuff they could have produced locally.

Ricardo was one of the worst economists ever, for his comparative advantage thing.

You are not making a favor to the bangladeshi worker on miserable wages by buying the county's exports, any more that your fathers made a favor to the workers of the banana republics when they bought a banana. You are more likely to be empowering the exploiters over there to tighten their grip on power even more, to in their own interest keep their country stagnated as a producer of that commodity, than you are giving that country useful capital for investment on development.

In a world without capital controls the profits from exports of third-world commodities get immediately recycled into the financial markets, not invested locally. Very few escape that trap. Under those conditions increased international trade worsens the lot of third-worlders, rather than uplift them. The few countries that did develop did it by also controlling the terms of trade and the flow of capital and forcing local investment.
    Africa is currently a disaster area, and latin america mostly another. A few countries in Asia escaped. Bangladesh, unfortunately, is not among them.

yung.carl.jung and Lexicus like this.