1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Computer Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread II

Discussion in 'Computer Talk' started by Methos, Oct 7, 2009.

1. haanuman

haanuman Chieftain

I have been using the iPad Air 1 for about 5 years now and it is working great. Since you don't need a lot of advanced features or gimmicks then you can get Air 1 instead of Air 2.

2. ls612

ls612 Deity Moderator

Does anyone know of a good bluetooth/AC wireless card to put into my PC?

3. cardgame

cardgame Sensual Kitten

4. ls612

ls612 Deity Moderator

5. Lemon Merchant

Lemon Merchant Professional Killjoy Moderator

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
  6. ls612

ls612 Deity Moderator

Because I'm all out of USB ports and I'm not all out of PCI-E slots. :mischief:

I guess I could get one of those janky 1xusb3 -> a bunch of usb2 port hub adaptor things but that isn't as elegant.

7. Lemon Merchant

True.

Did you have a looksie at the widget I linked? It might suit your purposes, and it's a card... :)

8. ls612

ls612 Deity Moderator

Yeah that asus card looks interesting, I may get it. Thanks!

9. cardgame

cardgame Sensual Kitten

PCI cards are better than USB as a rule of thumb, but if you're really out of USB ports you might also want a PCI->USB hub

10. Lemon Merchant

De nada. :)

Translation: "It is nothing"

Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
  11. stfoskey12

stfoskey12 Emperor of Foskania

I can't seem to rename my user account folder on Windows 10. Right now it's [first initial, middle initial, first three of last name], but I want it to be [first name] instead. I can't just go into C:\Users to rename it, and if I create a second account and try to change it from there, it seems to forget my profile. How do I fix this problem?

12. Lemon Merchant

13. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

Depends a bit on the application. PCIe tends to be better for storage or network I/O (and for wireless, it's iffy, PCIe is the more appropriate electrical connection, but USB solutions often have better antennas/positioning), but in the case of say, sound cards, all the best options are USB.

14. cardgame

cardgame Sensual Kitten

Sound cards are obsolete regardless :p

15. stfoskey12

I did that, but now I get the error: "C:\Users\[first initial, middle initial, first three of last name]\OneDrive\Desktop is unavailable" and then goes on from there about making sure the device or drive is connected and the disk is inserted. If I try to open any documents in Microsoft Office, I just get a blank gray screen.

16. Lemon Merchant

You followed the directions exactly?

17. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

Not really, onboard sound can't do Dolby Digital Live or DTS Interactive for surround over digital connections (so if you've got a laptop, you can only do digital surround output bundled in HDMI/DP, and no analog surround) and onboard DACs are pretty potato quality for analog connections, and don't have the voltage to drive many higher end headphones.

18. cardgame

cardgame Sensual Kitten

Unless you're using a bottom of the barrel hunk of junk, onboard sound is just as good as any sound card, that's why nobody uses them anymore. If you want high end headphones you get an external DAC/AMP entirely and still skip the sound card.

Although my DAC/AMP is powered through USB. Is that what you meant? Would that qualify?

19. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

No, I literally just listed a bunch of ways in which onboard sound is not as good as any sound card:

"Onboard sound can't do Dolby Digital Live or DTS Interactive for surround over digital connections (so if you've got a laptop, you can only do digital surround output bundled in HDMI/DP, and no analog surround) and onboard DACs are pretty potato quality for analog connections, and don't have the voltage to drive many higher end headphones."

Well I use several (Xonar U3 for DDL over S/PDIF, Xonar U7 for analog 5.1, DragonFly Red for headphones), that's an infinite number of times more than would be used by nobody.

The only difference between a USB DAC/AMP and a USB soundcard is whatever the marketing team felt like labeling it as.

edit: Not saying everyone needs a soundcard. Most people don't, but there are real use cases for them still.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
  20. stfoskey12

I think so. But I figured out a workaround of creating a new account, copying stuff over, and deleting my old one.