1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Computer Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread II

Discussion in 'Computer Talk' started by Methos, Oct 7, 2009.

1. Samson

Samson Chieftain

Does anyone know anything about internet over power? I have been using a BT minihub to take power from one bit of the the house to another and it has been variable quality but mostly working. Since yesterday it has not worked at all. If I plug an extension cable in next to the source connector, take it to where it was plugged in and plug it into the extension cable it works well. I am guessing it is an electrically noisy appliance, or a failing electrical connection on the ring main but I really have no idea how these things work and fail. Anyone got any words of wisdom?

I do not know much about DBA's, but I think it is a completely different job to data science. It is various roles from administrative roles handling who is allowed to access which database, data modelling roles such as is your database normalised and have all appropriate foreign keys to really technical aspects such as what is the optimum form of mirroring / striping for your particular requirements of capacity / read / write.

2. cardgame

cardgame Obsessively Opposed to the Typical

powerline? they work great for some people, less so for others. depends on the quality of your wiring.

3. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

PoE, not powerline. I don't know anything about debugging though.

4. Quintillus

Quintillus Archiving Civ3 Content Supporter

Probably a bit late, but...

At traditional big companies, there are two main categories of DBAs, and data scientists would generally be separate.

- Systems DBAs are responsible for making sure the database systems keep running. Scaling, high-level performance, updates, deploying new hardware for databases, setting up new databases and performance monitoring for them, investigating what's going on when databases slow to a crawl, that sort of thing. When I read "Oracle DBA", and particular "Oracle database admin", that's what I think of as most likely.
    - Application DBAs are more focused on writing database-level code for software applications (what the "programmers" or "software developers" write). Often, regular developers aren't experts in database queries - they can write them, but maybe not very complex ones, or maybe the ones the regular developers write are very slow. Application DBAs specialize in writing these queries and making them run quickly and efficiently. It could be that the position you mention is for this as well, and they mention Oracle because that's their exclusive database, and while most application DBAs can switch between variants of SQL, each vendor, including Oracle, has their own extensions.

There often is at least some overlap, more so at smaller shops, but those are the broad swathes of responsibility. Sometimes the difference is called out in the job description, but just as often it isn't. And it's worth mentioning two more related specialties, including your chosen field:

- Data architects are responsible for building the structure of the database in a way that is high-performing for the company's tasks (versus using existing tables efficiently, as application DBAs do). For small applications, you can have any old developer design the tables, but for very large companies with lots of data, designing them in a way that scales to the data becomes a considerable challenge.
    - Data scientists are responsible for finding patterns and uses for large amounts of data. Nowadays the problem isn't collecting lots of information; it's finding out how all that information is useful. Data scientists make those connections, and while database skills will be useful in that, making useful insights and connections is a very different focus than the performance-focused, problem-is-already-defined role of the application DBA. It's more exploratory.

I suspect that most data scientists would not find DBA positions to be fulfilling. There usually isn't much creative freedom in DBA roles (even less if it's a systems DBA role), they're very technical, and as mentioned the focuses differ. It's certainly possible to become a master of DBA, and if you're the type of person who enjoys perfecting that data-performance-related craft, or being the guy everyone can count on to fix things when the data center goes down, it might be for you. But it doesn't have the creativity that you likely are expecting given your course of study, and is usually an underappreciated (and in other companies, underutilized) role.

It seems a little strange that a company would try to hire a data scientist for a DBA role. It could indicate several things, including not really knowing the difference themselves; needing a DBA, and having plans that involve some data science but not the money to hire both a DBA and a data scientist, and thus being happy to see a data scientist apply; or actually wanting a data scientist but not wanting to pay the (generally, though not always) higher data scientist salary, and thus hoping they could lure one in with a DBA role. The former would be concerning, especially if the tasks they describe are DBA tasks; the middle would likely leave you mostly bored, though it could help sharpen your database skills a bit if needed and it's an application DBA position; the latter might not be bad as a way to get a couple years of experience, before moving on to something that pays better or is at a company with more data scientists. And there is something to be said early in your career for a position where the pay isn't the greatest, but you can learn, have some autonomy if it's a smaller company, and earn some good recommendations. Just don't stay forever if you do well and hit the ceiling there.

Source: I'm a "regular software developer" who has worked at mid-size and large companies over the past 7 years, and my father was in IT for almost four decades, including a decade as one of the top data architects at a large corporation (which overlapped with the time when data science became its own distinct field; he knows several people who transferred from DBA or data architect roles into data scientist roles, when the field was new enough that you could do that fairly easily).

5. peter grimes

peter grimes ... Moderator

I'm having trouble figuring out if an SSD I bought for an old intel macBook would work in a newer Acer laptop. What are the specs that I need to know in order to figure this out? The SSD is 7mm Samsung EVO 840 SATAIII.

Laptop is Acer Aspire R15

6. Lemon Merchant

Lemon Merchant Smarticus Pantsidae Moderator

Should work. There may be a weird Apple connector on it, but you should be able to pull that piece off, and it should plug right into the Acer.

peter grimes likes this.
  7. cardgame

At this point in time, all previously-purchased SSDs are compatible with everything newer*

All you have to do for this one is connect the SATA port to the motherboard. One male-to-male cable. You will likely need to remove the Acer's hard drive to accomplish this. If it still has a CD reader, you may be able to reinstall the HDD there - I know it's possible on Macbook Pros. Haven't looked into Windows modifications of that nature, since there's too many variant models...

In the worst case that you still need the hard drive, you can put it in an enclosure and get a SATA-USB adapter and use it externally.

*Unless you're doing something dumb like installing a super-fancy advanced SSD (you'd probably know if you had one) into the cheapest most basic motherboard you can get

peter grimes likes this.
  8. Synsensa

Synsensa Warlord Retired Moderator

The Acer he has does have an extra slot for an SSD. Should be able to work alongside the original HDD.

9. peter grimes

Thanks everyone! Glad I can re-use that SSD. It was $300 when I bought it, didn't want to have to purchase a new one.

EDIT to add:

That's a great idea - it's a 1TB 5400rpm, so it would be an adequate companion drive for the future.

10. cardgame

wow, $300? When I bought my 500gb in 2015 you could get a full 1TB ssd for that price.

11. Michkov

Michkov Chieftain

You dont want anything spinning in a machine you are carrying around. Especially not such a big drive you'll have a hard time to recover from if damaged.

12. cardgame

Modern tech is not foolproof, but it is pretty good about that now. There's accelerometers in most laptop HDDs that will lift the needle/stop the motion when they detect surges.

13. peter grimes

You're right. I was wrong. It was 2014 and the drive cost $140.

stupid brain.

14. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

The accelerometers are in the laptops, not the drives. Many laptops (e.g. anything by Apple) have never contained such tech. (In Apple's case, because they switched the entire lineup to SSDs.)

15. aimeeandbeatles

aimeeandbeatles watermelon

I saw a bunch of attempts to access various files with "xattack" (which seems to be some sort of vulnerability exploiter) in the logs for a Joomla site. They all seem to have not worked though. Is this something to worry about, so long as Joomla's kept up-to-date and other good security practices are in place?

16. Quintillus

Quintillus Archiving Civ3 Content Supporter

As long as both the old SSD and the new computer use the same form factor, such as the 2.5" laptop hard drive form factor that it sounds like peter's uses, the drive can be migrated to a new computer. I wound up moving an older SSD into the laptop I'm using right now, after buying a bigger one for my main desktop.

Along with the 2.5" form factor (which comes in 9mm and 7mm height variants, but those are interchangeable as long as there's sufficient height where it's being installed), the other common one is called M.2280. It's a smaller stick size, and many of the super-fancy advanced SSDs available now use it, since it also supports a data exchange protocol that allows even faster speeds. It's becoming common to have laptops that support one traditional 2.5" drive, and one new M.2280 (aka NVME) drive. This is actually fairly convenient, since it allows using both a newfangled, super-fast SSD in a moderate capacity, as well as a traditional spinning hard drive to support lots of file storage. I would not be surprised if my next laptop has that capability.

IMO, the concern about spinning hard drives in laptops really comes down to whether you are liable to dropping the laptop. These days (2005 or later), laptop hard drives are built well enough that everyday movement is not going to cause a problem. Moving around with the laptop while it's on, moving it in a backpack while it's on, etc. - I've used hard drives for years that way, and they're all still working. All bets are off if you drop it, of course. But even if you had an SSD that was drop-proof, it would still be a good idea to have your data backed up in case it failed. They're pretty reliable these days, but no technology is perfect.

It depends on the model. Western Digital has made hard drives with free-fall sensors in the drives, for example, while IBM has put the sensors in laptops. I'm partial to the built-in-to-HDD option, since that means you would get the benefit if you made it into an external drive, too. Although as mentioned my overall favorite is the "proper backup + respect for hardware" strategy.

17. cardgame

A lot of M.2 are still SATA, not NVME

18. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

Does anyone have a bit more XP with video editing?
    I have a little project, where I'd need to put a picture into a part of the video (want to glue a face from a photo into a video).
    For what would I need to look online/would need to google for to find the right advice.
    (I already tried, but most stuff just comes up how I can add static images between movie clips)

I have Adobe everything available.

19. cardgame

you want to cgi the video with this new face in it? that's a bit outside my wheel house, but try after effects.

20. shadowplay

shadowplay your ad here

I installed an android update today, and now my phone is displaying the name of a different network than the one I use. Why would that happen? Should I be concerned?