Computer Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread II

GPU slots are industry standard. That will fit, yes. I'd recommend a 750 or 750ti you should be able to pick up for quite cheap these days. Anything GTX (graphics processing horsepower) will be much much more powerful than a standard GT (video output horsepower) card.

Last edited:
I got the exact same GFX card you posted independent of you posting it, spooky :D Already built it in and it is working fantastically. Thanks again for you help, Ive never played any Civ game with this staple of an FPS! :lol:

Short version: How do you make a directory read / writable in window 7?

Long version: I have just done a clean install of windows 7 on an SSD, and installed Civ4 from disk by just accepting the defaults. This installed Civ in C:\Program Files (x86)\Firaxis Games\... This all works fine, except for one mod (RoM AND) which tries to write to its \UserSettings directory. This fails and constantly fills the screen with error messages. The reason for this is the whole of C:\Program Files (x86)\ is marked as read only. I have tried to use windows explorer to set the permissions, this gives a popup "Access is denied. You need to provide administrator permission to change these attributes. Click continue to complete this operation." I click continue, it does stuff for quite a while, but then after the permissions are unchanged. I tried the command line, using "C:\Program Files (x86)>cacls . /e /p username:f" and it says "Access is denied" even when I have opened the command prompt using right click, run as administrator.

Last edited:
I just ripped out my old HDD that was corrupting itself yet I still want to recover files that I have. What products can I use to convert an internal HDD into an external HDD? Don't need an elaborate docking station, just a simple device that I can plug into an USB and stash away in my PC toolbox for later use.

I just ripped out my old HDD that was corrupting itself yet I still want to recover files that I have. What products can I use to convert an internal HDD into an external HDD? Don't need an elaborate docking station, just a simple device that I can plug into an USB and stash away in my PC toolbox for later use.

For the use case you're describing - not a permanent drive enclosure, but just something to connect the odd drive every so often - what I use it this Kingwin connector device. It would look strange for a permanently connected drive, but will connect almost any hard drive you need, including pretty old ones, includes all the cables you need, and is quick to set up for that odd time that you want to check something on an old drive. There's also a USB 3.0 version, but for twice the price.

For similar products, here's the list of what Micro Center carries. Most of them probably work similarly well, but I've only personally used the Kingwin. There are a couple that are a couple bucks cheaper, although they only work with SATA. As long as old isn't older than 10 years though, that's probably okay.

Not quite what you need for this particular application (since I'm assuming you don't want a type-C SATA adapter), but I'm partial to Plugable products. They put real effort into properly designing their products, so you avoid the Chinese mess that came with USB type-C, they provide firmware updates that other companies typically don't bother with, they were one of the first companies on the market with SATA to USB 3.1 Gen 2 devices, etc.

Is there any way to get around websites that will not load if you have certain scripting disabled? I run no script with Firefox, and certain wiki sites like the Star Trek memory alpha wiki and Civilization wiki won't work with scripts disabled. Namely the advertising websites, even if I enable the wikia website, it's still not enough. And I want them disabled for good reason. When you open memory alpha on Google Chrome with no abblocking, the ads are really obnoxious and you have to click to close a movie for every page you visit.

And as a side question, is there any way around having to watch previews when watching DVD's on the computer? I click on root menu and title menu but it won't take me there, I'm forced to watch the previews. This is with Netflix DVD's by the way. Right now I have it minimized and sound down while the previews play, and I figure I'll check Civ fanatics while they play.

Well my first question is a moot point now that Firefox quantum is out. This has to be the ugliest browser in the history of browsers. And why do they have to make it like Chrome? I hate it when companies try to copy popular things (don't get me started how all rpg's are becoming like Skyrim now, a trend I hate). Just because Chrome is popular doesn't mean you should change your browser to be like Chrome. Us firefox users use it for a reason over chrome.

Anyways, I lost all my add ons anyways.

As for the layout, I haven't found any mods that restore the classic look. If anyone spots one, could you please post a link here? In particular the bookmarks tab is especially horrid. When I click the left bookmarks icon it only shows my recently bookmarked, it doesn't show my folders like it used to, just a long list of random recently bookmarked websites. I have many many bookmarks, and I have to use folders to keep them organized. Even worse, they won't open automatically when you hover the mouse over them, you have to actually left click to open the folders. :( I find I can use the icon just to the right of the left icon to open the bookmarks folder. This is a little more useful, but you still have to close the bookmarks tab when you are done. They really messed up on this one. I hope I can find a mod to make it like old Firefox. I hate change. Also the tabs on top look ugly. I made them white again, but I don't like the box shape.

You can go into the customisation settings and add the normal bookmark folders to the menu bar, as well as remove the pouch icon etc.

Ouch, nice job Firefox. You really borked this one. Although I may be the only person having this problem based off the lack of support from a google search. I guess I'm forced to use Chrome at this point.

Any suggestions?

My computer is slowed down to a crawl at this point.

Last edited:
v55 extended release. You get security update, addons work and you'll have some RAM left

And why do they have to make it like Chrome?

Unintentional. Convergent evolution of design.

*shrug* Not really meaningful without context. By most metrics FF57 is drastically better performing than before Quantum. You can presumably close tabs until the CPU usage goes down to see which website is offending.

v55 extended release. You get security update, addons work and you'll have some RAM left

55 isn't ESR, 52 is. Not really much point. 52 ESR is out of support in six months anyway.

Last edited:
55 isn't ESR, 52 is. Not really much point. 52 ESR is out of support in six months anyway.

Thanks must have missed that, I went back to the previous version after 56 turned out to be a dud. Didn't bother checking if it was esr or just regular version.

Anyway the point still stands the old installers are found in the link below, pick one and stick with that until the next new version comes out. https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/

PS: Out of support doesn't mean it will magically stop working that moment, it's still working software. Maybe a bit unsecure but if you follow best practices you should be fine.

Ouch, nice job Firefox. You really borked this one. Although I may be the only person having this problem based off the lack of support from a google search. I guess I'm forced to use Chrome at this point.

Any suggestions?

Please see my thread in Site Feedback, regarding Firefox. I'm using Opera right now, since Firefox just decided to totally <mess up> everything for me on XenForo forums.

With Firefox I can't access Alerts properly, can't edit posts, can't "like" posts, can't quote posts, can't even navigate to someone's profile page to send a PM. Have you been having any of these problems?

So far Opera is working okay for me. I tried Chrome a couple of years ago and don't care for it. I absolutely will not use IE.

Please see my thread in Site Feedback, regarding Firefox. I'm using Opera right now, since Firefox just decided to totally <mess up> everything for me on XenForo forums.

With Firefox I can't access Alerts properly, can't edit posts, can't "like" posts, can't quote posts, can't even navigate to someone's profile page to send a PM. Have you been having any of these problems?

So far Opera is working okay for me. I tried Chrome a couple of years ago and don't care for it. I absolutely will not use IE.

I dunno, Firefox has been working fine for me on cfc across my four PCs. Have you tried disabling any/all add-ons?

IE has been deprecated for some years other than security updates anyway.

I specifically recommend against Opera, it got bought out by China. Any of Chrome/Vivaldi/Opera are going to render the web comparably, they all use the same engine.

Top Bottom