1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Computer Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread II

Discussion in 'Computer Talk' started by Methos, Oct 7, 2009.

1. Samson

Samson Deity

I have been playing Civ 4 since it came out, and on various systems it has crashed either to desktop or hung so that you have to go to task manager and kill the process. On a new Windows 10 machine when it hangs with graphical glitches and i cannot get to task manager. I get the cntl-atl-del screen, but selecting task manager returns a black screen, the only thing I can do is log out. Windows device driver is reporting my graphics drivers are up to date.

Any suggestions? Just a way to kill the Civ4 process would be of great help.

2. Synsensa

Synsensa - Retired Moderator

When you Alt+Tab, does the Task Manager window show up or is it also black in the little preview wheel?

If it shows up, you can Alt+Tab to the Task Manager and press the down arrow. Go back to the Alt+Tab preview wheel however many times it takes until you're sure that the Civ4 executable is highlighted. When it is, press Delete and it'll kill it.

3. Samson

Samson Deity

Alt-tab just gives a completely black screen.

4. shadowplay

shadowplay your ad here

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
  5. cardgame

cardgame Sensual Kitten

Kinda looks like crap to me, but I don't see the price and it does come with a lot of goodies included.

edit: oh, 350. Not terrible but personally I'd get a cheap motorola E or G for like 100 if money is the concern.

shadowplay likes this.
  6. shadowplay

shadowplay your ad here

It's on sale for $200 Canadian, which is like around $150 US.

7. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

shadowplay and cardgame like this.
  8. Synsensa

shadowplay likes this.
  9. shadowplay

shadowplay your ad here

Thanks for all the info. :) I think I'm probably going to go with the Nokia 6.1, since the 3.1 doesn't work on the Speakout network.

Synsensa likes this.
  10. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

It should, it supports the 850/1900 HSPA that Speakout uses.

Also available from bhphotovideo as an alternative to amazon - they've got a better listing of the specs.

11. Synsensa

12. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

Yeah, I would in general not trust any "frequency check" or "spec list" site to give accurate information, they're all content farms.

See official Nokia specs: https://www.nokia.com/en_ca/phones/nokia-3#details

Networks GSM: 850/900/1800/1900, WCDMA: Band 1, 2, 5, 8, LTE: Band 1, 3, 5, 7, 8, 20, 28, 38, 40

And actually, available from various Canadian sources. (Best Buy, Walmart, Canada Computers)

shadowplay and Synsensa like this.
  13. shadowplay

shadowplay your ad here

Do you expect the Nokia 3 will be supported for as long as the 3.1? I believe the former is a year older than the latter. It seems the 3.1 isn't sold in Canada, but I can easily buy one from the States and have it shipped. Probably worth it if it gets me another year of security updates?

14. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

Sigh, you're right, I really wish they'd use less confusing naming. Pretty much no chance the 3 is supported for as long as the 3.1 unless something unexpected truncates support for the 3.1, the 3 isn't part of the Android One program, while the 3.1 is.

shadowplay and Synsensa like this.
  15. shadowplay

shadowplay your ad here

Thanks again. I've ordered the Nokia 6.1 from BHphotovideo (I also got my laptop from them 2 years ago...they're often cheaper than amazon, and paying customs + credit card currency conversion fee is cheaper than paying sales tax.)

16. J-man

J-man Deity

What does an oracle database administrator do?

I've recently complete a course in data science (the word 'course' doesn't really do it justice, it's master level), my back ground is in chemistry (bachelor) but IT has more jobs.
    Last friday I was offered a position at a company to be an oracle DBA (haven't had an interview yet. Oracle database admin is pretty different from data science, the company will train me.

I really like data science and I don't know what being an oracle DBA entails and I really can't find a good source on the internet. I'm worried that I just waste a lot of time when I don't like it.

I hope someone can give give some good information (or a good source).

17. cardgame

cardgame Sensual Kitten

You're gonna manage big databases full of important data.

18. Samson

Samson Deity

Does anyone know anything about internet over power? I have been using a BT minihub to take power from one bit of the the house to another and it has been variable quality but mostly working. Since yesterday it has not worked at all. If I plug an extension cable in next to the source connector, take it to where it was plugged in and plug it into the extension cable it works well. I am guessing it is an electrically noisy appliance, or a failing electrical connection on the ring main but I really have no idea how these things work and fail. Anyone got any words of wisdom?

I do not know much about DBA's, but I think it is a completely different job to data science. It is various roles from administrative roles handling who is allowed to access which database, data modelling roles such as is your database normalised and have all appropriate foreign keys to really technical aspects such as what is the optimum form of mirroring / striping for your particular requirements of capacity / read / write.

19. cardgame

cardgame Sensual Kitten

powerline? they work great for some people, less so for others. depends on the quality of your wiring.

20. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

PoE, not powerline. I don't know anything about debugging though.