Computer Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread II

According to Defraggler the page file is in like.... 4 chunks. Some of it's at the beginning of the drive and some of it's at the end.

Question: What happens on Windows when you run out of drive letters? (I'm not sure of what circumstances would lead to having 26 hard drives and not RAID them, but...)

I don't think Windows supports more than 24 drive letters. (C through Z)

I could be wrong though...

so it would just fail if you tried plugging in a USB drive or something?

Update on my hard drive situation: I opened up the case to check the fan dust and saw that one of the mounting screws was a bit loose. I was able to reach it so I tightened it a bit. It's a 7200 rpm drive so I think it might've just been rattling around a bit. The S.M.A.R.T. data doesn't show anything weird so I think that might be it. :)

Last edited:
so it would just fail if you tried plugging in a USB drive or something?
I'm not actually sure, but unless Windows switches to numbers after the letters are all used up, I can't see a drive being identified. I don't think even a USB stick would work.

I'm half-tempted to test it out by using subst to mount a bunch of folders. Does subst even still work? I don't know.

I'm curious how that scenario would ever play out in real life. No way to have enough inputs to even make that a problem. I would expect an Excel type solution where the 25th drive is just AA drive or something like that.

a lot of USB drives on those splitter things?

Are there any options for running an elevated program on computer boot without the UAC prompt? Google is not being helpful (yes, I know how to add programs to startup. Yes, I know how to run a program as admin.)

You have to do it using the task scheduler, but I can't remember how to do it right now.

You should probably ask this question here.

In the Performance seciton of the task manager, there's In use (compressed). What does this mean?

Can you post a screen shot, please?

Can you post a screen shot, please?

While I'm here: does anybody else using the free version of malwarebytes get those annoying "UPGRADE TO PREMIUM!!! REAL-TIME PROTECTION!!!!" notifications that steal focus? I ended up uninstalling the damn thing because they were coming up near every day, I don't use it that much anyways.

I only open Malwarebytes when I need to use it. No reason to have it open otherwise since the free one doesn't do real-time protection. As its pop-up so helpfully informs you.

I use premium, so I don't get the popups anymore.

Aimee, in this case I have no idea what compressed means. Sorry.

Windows of the 10 variety has a feature that allows the OS to compress RAM instead of writing it to disk when it run out of RAM. Think of it as a zip file for RAM.

In your case you are using 5.6GB of RAM total 4.8MB of it being in the zip file.

Top Bottom