Computer Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread II

I was playing Civilization when all of a sudden the screen went black with lots of little green lines everywhere, looked sort of like a spiderweb. Then it crashed. Some weird graphical corruption?

Well, it looked pretty cool when it happened.

It's Windows. Crashes happen. Reboot and move on.

Not on properly set up computers; Win7 is rock solid in the vast majority of circumstances.

I put far more strain on my computer than the average user, and I haven't had any crashes on my main rig in well over a year. I reboot once per month, on the Wednesday after patch Tuesday, and can't remember the last time I had to deviate from my regular schedule.

Not on properly set up computers; Win7 is rock solid in the vast majority of circumstances.

I put far more strain on my computer than the average user, and I haven't had any crashes on my main rig in well over a year. I reboot once per month, on the Wednesday after patch Tuesday, and can't remember the last time I had to deviate from my regular schedule.

You don't know it's set up as best as possible. And even if it is, that's no proof. I haven't had a crash in the past year with my XP rig. That doesn't mean XP is crash proof. Dude, it's Winblows. :crazyeye:

You don't know it's set up as best as possible. And even if it is, that's no proof. I haven't had a crash in the past year with my XP rig. That doesn't mean XP is crash proof. Dude, it's Winblows. :crazyeye:

I'm not sure what your point is...

I pointed out that if you get crashes on Win7 (Vista too) that are anything nearing "frequent" (maybe say more than once every 4 months or so), something is wrong, and it's not the fault of the OS.

That doesn't imply that you can't still have something wrong without crashes.

Today at school in Firefox I tried to clear my private data and it asked me to put in a password for "Public Fox." What on earth is that? I tried to Google it at school but it didn't give me anything except a site in some other language, although I suspect it may have been a stupid school filter blocking results.

EDIT: I googled it and got this. But don't you think it's slightly dumb to prevent students from clearing the cookies? Unless there's a conspiracy going in....

Our schools have an old version of Firefox. Like Firefox 2 or something, depends on which computer it is.

Question: There's a 1394 port on my computer, is there any use for it? I googled it and found stuff on using cables, but I don't know what to attach to the cables.

Oh, I never realized about the IEEE part.

At least now I know I have one.

I have an internal drive designed for backups. The first time I tried to back it up it failed midway through, and I can't see anything inside it. When I look at it on My Computer it appears to have 9.5 GB of...something in it. Now that I'm upgrading from Vista to Win7, doing a backup has become slightly more urgent, but there's not enough space on the drive to backup everything I want. I want to clear the drive, but there isn't anything to delete...what'd be a good way of getting rid of that extra nine gigabytes?

EDIT: ...or I could just format it. :blush:

OK, is there a simple way to create an autoplay CD menu? What I want to do is take a couple free programs, stick them on a CD, and have a graphical autoplay menu come up so you can click on each and install it. Just very simple, for personal use. I found some complicated coding stuff.

EDIT: Just found this.

You found coding stuff because that is what autoplay is. Its a separate program on the cd that gives you a menu. There are fairly easy-to-use installer packages out there, but its a lot easier to just make a batch file or something to automatically run the installers for all the programs

Yeah, I'll try looking into that. Is there a way to make it so they don't all pop up at the same time, but one-after-the-other?

Also, occasionally, game installers will ask me to insert the second CD into the "floppy drive." Uh ... what? :lol:

Yeah. But you can't exactly call it a "hard disk" because that name was already taken. Maybe "firm disk"?

I suppose they just used a generic installer and forgot to change the wording.

Top Bottom