1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[RD] Conyers and Franken, Racism?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by BvBPL, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Berzerker

Berzerker Deity

I imagine Ellison has enemies within the Democrat base over his religion

Me too... Watching people fall from our pedestals is unpleasant.

Anyway, I'm watching Andrea Mitchell, she had Ruth Marcus on (a decent reporter) lamenting how Franken's resignation is not a good outcome for women and justice. Huh??? Tweeden is pointing out how she didn't ask for Franken to resign. She angered a bunch of Democrats and is feeling the heat. I guess Marcus thinks the better outcome for women and justice would be silence. Maybe thats why women are reluctant to speak up, even their 'allies' tend to disappear when they do.

2. Perfection

Perfection The Great Head.

I don't think there are many dems who dislike Ellison for being a Muslim but I do think there are a significant number who do see it as a significant liability (probably also true for him being black).

It's quite lilely these concerns cost him the DNC chair position.

3. Berzerker

Berzerker Deity

Yeah, thats what I heard. I was doin a little reading on Alan Dershowitz on another matter and saw he really dislikes Ellison and said he'd leave the Democrat party if he got that job.

4. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

Alan Dershowitz dislikes Ellison because Ellison isn't a bloodthirsty right-wing Zionist like Dershowitz. Ellison was iced out of the DNC chair race because his leftish politics offended the wealthy plutocrats currently in charge of the Democratic party; the primary justification they offered was an Islamophobic and racist smear campaign.

Kyriakos likes this.
  5. Berzerker

Berzerker Deity

I never heard Ellison say anything that would get him in trouble with the Israeli lobby, but I dont keep close track of him

6. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

You're a big boy, Google it.

7. Berzerker

Berzerker Deity

maybe this has become our current thread for sexual misconduct, so... Trent Franks R AZ is resigning amid accusation(s)

I did google that, Ellison doesn't seem to be anti-Israel, just a critic of their policies. But I didn't read thru the ample links.

8. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

He was caught on tape saying something mildly critical of the US monetary support for Israel and the control Israel seems to exert over our foreign policy in the region. This was enough for the Zionists to attempt to smear him as an anti-Semite.

Kyriakos likes this.
  9. Broken_Erika

Broken_Erika Nothing

You're either 10,000% pro-israel, pre-settlement without question or you're an anti-Semitic, terrorist, islamic-fundamentalist-atheist, commie, terrorist, leftist, paid Soros-troll, commie, anti-semantic, terrorist, anti-capitalist....did i mention commie-terrorist?

Kyriakos and JollyRoger like this.
  10. Katie88

Katie88 Warlord

Not really sure how you got that from my post.

But it seems relevant to bring it up when the OP is asking whether two people were treated differently because of their racial/ethnic groups.

And, well, there's a disturbing pattern emerging in the entertainment industry...

11. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

I'm not sure how you're not sure how i got that from your post. Your post made it seem like you think Franken being Jewish precludes his being white.

12. FriendlyFire

FriendlyFire Codex WMDicanious

God works in Mysterious ways
    Republicans have been so triggered and whipped up to a frenzy at this point they call a returned Jesus a Lier if he attacked trump.* Anything and anyone is permissible in the fight against the evil democrats

* I wish I was joking but CNN interview was mind blowing

13. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

I think we've been through this already :shake: TLDR: only germanic people are white. You can find documented proof in 19th century german racial theory. Educate yourself!

14. Katie88

Katie88 Warlord

Many Jews don't consider themselves white, and it's quite a polemic subject. But all that is beside my point, which was that in a thread about people being treated differently due to their racial/ethnic group and in a context where many Jewish entertainers have been found to be involved in sexual harassment/assault/rape, to the point where Larry David is making jokes about it on national TV(!), surely Fraken being Jewish is more relevant to the treatment he received.

15. onejayhawk

onejayhawk Afflicted with reason

The dialogue this morning is noting that Franken did not actually resign. Rather, he said he would do so in the coming weeks. Supposedly, this is to allow the Alabama special election to occur before an actual decision is made. I'm not sure I buy the idea that he could recant the resignation, but making it part of a larger party strategy is more plausible. One example was noted yesterday, replacing him with a woman. At the least he can stay for the rest of the end of year voting.

J

16. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

I have been waiting for you to pounce on that :lol: .

I think it's acceptable for a reasonable delay (weeks, not more than 2 months imo) for Franken to ensure his state is adequately represented at a crucial moment and there is an effective transition. Just because Trump didn't have a transition doesn't mean that was a good idea.

17. Berzerker

Berzerker Deity

I figure Franken didn't want his staff to be jobless during the holiday season

18. onejayhawk

I agree. Delaying til the session makes its full recess is acceptable. No firm date on that, so no reason to give the Republicans a date to anticipate a newbie in his seat.

As I noted, this is dialogue, ie a rehash of yesterday's news. I am guessing someone made a point of it on their program.

Not so much. He could have given a date early next year. This was scripted between Franken and the party.

A new article covers some of the points of the last dozen posts.
    https://www.realclearpolitics.com/a...ate_pickup_chance_for_republicans_135730.html

Here is one that disagrees with me about Gov. Dayton appointing Lt. Gov. Smith for just the interim and not to run for the balance of the term.
    http://www.startribune.com/gov-mark...-tina-smith-as-franken-replacement/462412193/

J

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
  19. BvBPL

BvBPL Pour Decision Maker

In contrast, Conyers had originally agreed to make a statement in the last week of November about the allegations against him and stating that'd he'd retire in at the end of year.. That seemed acceptable to Democratic leadership, but Mrs. Monica Conyers and Rep. Shelia Jackson Lee took issue with it. Mrs. Conyers and Lee apparently arranged for Conyers's statement to be pushed back a week which necessitated his immediate resignation instead of an end of year retirement.

That so much more national attention placed upon Franken than Conyers is remarkable. Certainly Franken's office is more important; not only is the Senate much more sharply divided than the House, but Franken's seat is much more likely to go the GOP than Conyers's. That said, Conyers was the longest-serving representative at the time he retired. He was the longest-serving elected black politician in the nation, ever. He was the only man to receive both the endorsement of both Dr. King and President Obama. The man is a civil rights icon. That Franken's resignation is receiving so much more attention is noteworthy.

20. onejayhawk

It's the pictures. Nothing stirs interest like a visual.

J