1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Crusader Kings 2

Discussion in 'All Other Games' started by SouthernKing, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Double A

Double A ♫We got the guillotine♫

I don't actually understand the benefits of reforming. You no longer get +opinion for raised levies and that sounds like the most awesome thing ever.

I'm only in Act 6 Act 2, so if anyone spoils anything I will murder the plot of everything they like forever.

2. Nintz

Nintz King of the Britons

I just realized I never posted in this thread. Go figure.

Holy wars, including your version of crusades.

3. NBAfan

NBAfan boss

I bought the Old Gods, but haven't really played yet. I've been too busy with Victoria 2.

4. civ_king

civ_king Deus Caritas Est

Catholics have too high a tech level now, 1066 Tuscany shouldn't be more culturally sophisticated than Constantinople.

5. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Moderator

867 Europe looks good, but Basil the Macedonian looks like Basil the Muppet.

6. Robert Can't

Robert Can't Grantaire

Those big European kingdoms are funny to watch doing their thing. The norse also don't seem that OP.

7. MoreEpicThanYou

MoreEpicThanYou The most Epic.

You're getting close, there aren't any spoilers anyone could give you as big as, say, Murderstuck, or the events of Cascade.

8. Ailedhoo

Ailedhoo wonderer

You got to love the extreme trailer! :lol:

Link to video.

Also: glory to raiding!

9. NBAfan

NBAfan boss

Paradox has the best trailers. Have you guys seen their Leviathan Warships trailer?

10. Double A

Does the vikings total war invasion thing still work after that? Actually how does that even work?

Yeah I thought so, but I still want to be on the safe side with all these wonderful plush dragon limbs and mutant cats.

11. Synsensa

Synsensa - Retired Moderator

This game is too hard for me now. :( Damn you, Vikings.

12. Double A

Be the viking.

13. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

Vikings are the new Muslims Fatimids Republics Holy Roman Empire OP group. They'll tone them down a notch in the next patches, hopefully.

14. Nintz

Nintz King of the Britons

You can no longer invade other norsemen for free, but have a typical Holy War CB for dismantling Catholics, Muslims, and non-Norse pagans. You also keep the single-county conquest CB, though it is obsolete except for establishing a distant beachhead. And, once you hit the mid 11th century, the holder of the Fylkirate (you by default) can call "Great Holy Wars" like the Pope can call crusades and the Caliphs' jihads.

15. Antilogic

Antilogic --

I splurged and bought a P-dox DLC full price (first time for everything), and started playing as Mercia. Survived the first engagement with the Norse by forming a massive stack with the Wessex troops to defend my realm, although East Anglia fell to the Vikings in the end. Around 950 AD and I cannot get an invasion CB to take out Wessex and form England (and they have been very... prolific, so marriage and targeted assassinations hasn't been viable). At least I got out of Gavelkind so I can keep Mercia together and not give up the Duchy of York.

Things I am happy about include a healthy Kingdom of Asturias and Navarre holding out in Spain for nearly 100 years against the Muslims, and a much more dynamic middle Europe. Lotharingia looked like it was being beaten back, West Francia took Burgundy, but then Lotharingia inherited the Kingdom of Italy. Bavaria is now part of East Francia, Burgundy and Aquitaine seem to switch between subservience to West Francia and being fully independent states every generation, so there is some degree of flux and a balance of power in Europe. It's a nice change from the old everything-grey maps and Muslim Spain unless the player blocked it.

16. Double A

What about the times when France goes and murders the HRE and all the Muslims?

17. Synsensa

I tried playing as Wessex and Mercia over the course of 5 games on Very Easy difficulty only to get Game Over'd after two years, each time. There is simply no way I can defend against over 15k of Vikings when I am lucky to raise 3k. I even had Navarra, France, and the other English states as my allies and I still got steamrolled. It is unbearable.

18. Double A

Have you tried murder?

19. Antilogic

Antilogic --

True, I should have said everything-grey or blue. :lol:

Those stacks split up in my game, and I was able to whittle them down through ping-ponging a couple tiny ones. Try to stick with the other big kingdom's stack--Wessex and Mercia together can field a decent army until you get enough money to hire mercs. My only instant game over/restart was when my petty king died in battle before an heir was born.

I don't know why you are getting a game over because the war goals for the Vikings are East Anglia and Northumbria--you should be safe even if you lose the first war.

20. Synsensa

They declare their own separate invasion approximately one month after the game starts, which gives me about 23 months to prepare for it. Jylland then invites the Norse from England into the invasion and they combine their stack immediately. Along with this, any attempts to try and whittle down their forces before it combines results in them just running back onto their boats and going to the other side of the island and dropping them off there, thereby completely avoiding a physical conflict. On top of this, other Norse bands are looting each coastal province and following the same boat-retreat tactic.

I decided to play as Gilan in another game and it is going much better. Nearly formed Persia in a single life-time which was nice.