Crusader Kings 2

Does the vikings total war invasion thing still work after that? Actually how does that even work?

You can no longer invade other norsemen for free, but have a typical Holy War CB for dismantling Catholics, Muslims, and non-Norse pagans. You also keep the single-county conquest CB, though it is obsolete except for establishing a distant beachhead. And, once you hit the mid 11th century, the holder of the Fylkirate (you by default) can call "Great Holy Wars" like the Pope can call crusades and the Caliphs' jihads.

Those big European kingdoms are funny to watch doing their thing. The norse also don't seem that OP.

I splurged and bought a P-dox DLC full price (first time for everything), and started playing as Mercia. Survived the first engagement with the Norse by forming a massive stack with the Wessex troops to defend my realm, although East Anglia fell to the Vikings in the end. Around 950 AD and I cannot get an invasion CB to take out Wessex and form England (and they have been very... prolific, so marriage and targeted assassinations hasn't been viable). At least I got out of Gavelkind so I can keep Mercia together and not give up the Duchy of York.

Things I am happy about include a healthy Kingdom of Asturias and Navarre holding out in Spain for nearly 100 years against the Muslims, and a much more dynamic middle Europe. Lotharingia looked like it was being beaten back, West Francia took Burgundy, but then Lotharingia inherited the Kingdom of Italy. Bavaria is now part of East Francia, Burgundy and Aquitaine seem to switch between subservience to West Francia and being fully independent states every generation, so there is some degree of flux and a balance of power in Europe. It's a nice change from the old everything-grey maps and Muslim Spain unless the player blocked it.

It's a nice change from the old everything-grey maps and Muslim Spain unless the player blocked it.

What about the times when France goes and murders the HRE and all the Muslims?

I tried playing as Wessex and Mercia over the course of 5 games on Very Easy difficulty only to get Game Over'd after two years, each time. There is simply no way I can defend against over 15k of Vikings when I am lucky to raise 3k. I even had Navarra, France, and the other English states as my allies and I still got steamrolled. It is unbearable.

What about the times when France goes and murders the HRE and all the Muslims?

True, I should have said everything-grey or blue. :lol:

I tried playing as Wessex and Mercia over the course of 5 games on Very Easy difficulty only to get Game Over'd after two years, each time. There is simply no way I can defend against over 15k of Vikings when I am lucky to raise 3k. I even had Navarra, France, and the other English states as my allies and I still got steamrolled. It is unbearable.

Those stacks split up in my game, and I was able to whittle them down through ping-ponging a couple tiny ones. Try to stick with the other big kingdom's stack--Wessex and Mercia together can field a decent army until you get enough money to hire mercs. My only instant game over/restart was when my petty king died in battle before an heir was born.

I don't know why you are getting a game over because the war goals for the Vikings are East Anglia and Northumbria--you should be safe even if you lose the first war.

Those stacks split up in my game, and I was able to whittle them down through ping-ponging a couple tiny ones. Try to stick with the other big kingdom's stack--Wessex and Mercia together can field a decent army until you get enough money to hire mercs. My only instant game over/restart was when my petty king died in battle before an heir was born.

I don't know why you are getting a game over because the war goals for the Vikings are East Anglia and Northumbria--you should be safe even if you lose the first war.

They declare their own separate invasion approximately one month after the game starts, which gives me about 23 months to prepare for it. Jylland then invites the Norse from England into the invasion and they combine their stack immediately. Along with this, any attempts to try and whittle down their forces before it combines results in them just running back onto their boats and going to the other side of the island and dropping them off there, thereby completely avoiding a physical conflict. On top of this, other Norse bands are looting each coastal province and following the same boat-retreat tactic.

I decided to play as Gilan in another game and it is going much better. Nearly formed Persia in a single life-time which was nice.

Personally, I wouldn't want to play on the losing side of a crushing defeat, however detailed the game. The Great Danish Invasion succeeded for many years and (culturally speaking) was never defeated.

Russia is really fun to play in in 867, especially as the Suomenusko factions!

I'll post some screens when I get a bit further into my playthrough as the Maris tribe. :)

Personally, I wouldn't want to play on the losing side of a crushing defeat, however detailed the game. The Great Danish Invasion succeeded for many years and (culturally speaking) was never defeated.

Normally, I would be able to pull off the situation. Before Old Gods, I had been able to play on Hard and thrive rather well. Hell, even defeat the Mongols the moment they arrive on the scene. Upon the release of the DLC, I find it difficult to win wars even on Very Easy, especially in England. My game as Gilan involved a lot of careful planning as both the Abbasids and Saffarids are waaaaay OP early in the game, same as the Norse in England. The only difference here is that they don't have boats to run away to and I have mountains to camp on to actually stand a chance, along with the free special units Gilan receives.

I like the new DLC. It is just hard as hell for me.

Seriously, have you tried murder?

I've tried, but for some reason there aren't very many people who want King Ivar 'the Boneless' and the guy from Denmark to die.

I've tried, but for some reason there aren't very many people who want King Ivar 'the Boneless' and the guy from Denmark to die.

Is it a script or are they allies by marriage? If it's the latter just kill whoever's daughter is keeping the alliance together. It's a hell of a lot easier than murdering badass kings.

Bjorn Ironside seems to be a good start if you are looking to familiarize yourself with the Norse mechanics quickly. It is trivial to take over most of Sweden and Norway with a side invasion of one of the English petty kings within about 10 years.

The ambition to become king moves with your capital, so if you start with the ambition to become King of Sweden but move your capital to a county in Norway before completing it, the ambition will update to King of Norway.

I start by subjugating the Norway count with the Norse holy site before subjugating all of Sweden apart from Jylland's land. At some point, when my prestige is high enough, I prepare an invasion of an English petty king. In the meantime I finish up subjugating Sweden and plot to revoke a county in Norway. It is easy to get backers because you get such high relations from subjugation.

After revoking the Norwegian county, if he rebelled, revoke his other county and move your capital to there. If not, the other one will do. Now you get to subjugate all of Norway.

Invade the English King the last day before it expires to give yourself the most chances at free armies. Don't call your allies until this invasion as they get negative diplomacy modifiers each time you call them and you won't need them before. Always accept their calls but don't bother really sending anything. You will be at war permanently until you reform so joining their wars costs you nothing.

When cleaning up Norway, it is better to declare multiple subjugations at once if all of the targets are in close proximity. The time it takes to raise and gather your levies with decent morale can be quite long. Do all of the island counties including Iceland together for instance.

Once you have Norway and Sweden firmly in hand, conquest random counties that strike your interest while waiting for your subjugation timer to finish. It will be ready on Jan 1, 877. I like to start the subjugation of Denmark here with Jylland. Mercenaries will probably be a help here as you cannot count on your allies to help out.

Once you finish that war, you will be able to reform the Norse faith as well as be well on your way to controlling the needed lands to form the Empire of Scandinavia. I preferred to get my succession changed before creating any of my Kingdoms since forming the Kingdom will cause a 10 year wait. I had to release a few very unhappy counts to be able to get my succession changed but they were very easy to pull back into the fold after.

Unfortunately, the succession reversion bug that used to turn elective back into gavelkind still seems to exist. I went with Ultimogeniture but it reverted to Gavelkind when I formed the Kingdoms and Empire. Primogeniture never had this issue so I'll probably try that next time.

Finishing off the Empire requires some painful holy wars in Finland. The supply limit is killer so they will be slow going. However it is easily possible to finish off the Empire by 880ish or so. I prefer to do these holy wars with only my troops and retinues, only raising vassal levies to deal with troops that enter my territory.

I didn't do that much raiding as my forces were constantly at war. Holy wars are worse than the Catholic or Islamic versions of them as the 100 piety cost keeps them from being the lucrative piety pinata that the other versions are.

If you go through succession after moving to Norway but before reforming, you could conceivably unite Finland through subjugation before reforming which would be much faster. Succession is very painful pre-reform though so that may be an impossibility.

First game with Old Gods, started as the Viking guy in the Duchy of the Isles in Scotland. Took the Lowlands first, then started moving into Ireland. Eventually subjugated Denmark once I decided I wanted to reform the Norse faith.

Next up finish consolidating Norway and then move south to take on England.

I started a game as one of the Norse, and started with an army made of special units that wouldn't reinforce. Any idea what it is?

Event units - like the ones Harald Hardrade and William have at Stamford Bridge.

Or the Magyars have to overrun the Bulgarians and Moravia with. My stacks have been whittled down, though, so I'm not as fearsome as I once was. :(

The PI forums keep getting overloaded because of TOG. :(

Anyhow, I tried a bit of TOG as a Chinese Viking (modded in a Chinese culture for the lulz), starting a nice, "quiet" game as a OPM chief/count. Raiding gets me way too much money, though it is fun in the beginning when I do not have a lot of troops so I just wait until some Catholic lord depletes his garrisons from some war before I swoop in and loot his holdings. And I stole some Irish dude's wife, that was fun. And my Chinese Viking chief has a hot Russian concubine, that was fun too.

Using the Memento Mori mod with the new patch creates quite an... interesting checksum.

Spoiler :

Top Bottom