1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Crusader Kings 2

Discussion in 'All Other Games' started by SouthernKing, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Double A

Double A ♫We got the guillotine♫

Seriously, have you tried murder?

2. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Moderator

Personally, I wouldn't want to play on the losing side of a crushing defeat, however detailed the game. The Great Danish Invasion succeeded for many years and (culturally speaking) was never defeated.

3. Optical

Optical The Fall of the Eleventh

Russia is really fun to play in in 867, especially as the Suomenusko factions!

I'll post some screens when I get a bit further into my playthrough as the Maris tribe. :)

4. Synsensa

Synsensa - Retired Moderator

Normally, I would be able to pull off the situation. Before Old Gods, I had been able to play on Hard and thrive rather well. Hell, even defeat the Mongols the moment they arrive on the scene. Upon the release of the DLC, I find it difficult to win wars even on Very Easy, especially in England. My game as Gilan involved a lot of careful planning as both the Abbasids and Saffarids are waaaaay OP early in the game, same as the Norse in England. The only difference here is that they don't have boats to run away to and I have mountains to camp on to actually stand a chance, along with the free special units Gilan receives.

I like the new DLC. It is just hard as hell for me.

I've tried, but for some reason there aren't very many people who want King Ivar 'the Boneless' and the guy from Denmark to die.

5. Double A

Is it a script or are they allies by marriage? If it's the latter just kill whoever's daughter is keeping the alliance together. It's a hell of a lot easier than murdering badass kings.

6. madviking

madviking north american scum

all those norse guys are brothers/halfbrothers.

7. vale

vale Mathematician

Bjorn Ironside seems to be a good start if you are looking to familiarize yourself with the Norse mechanics quickly. It is trivial to take over most of Sweden and Norway with a side invasion of one of the English petty kings within about 10 years.

The ambition to become king moves with your capital, so if you start with the ambition to become King of Sweden but move your capital to a county in Norway before completing it, the ambition will update to King of Norway.

I start by subjugating the Norway count with the Norse holy site before subjugating all of Sweden apart from Jylland's land. At some point, when my prestige is high enough, I prepare an invasion of an English petty king. In the meantime I finish up subjugating Sweden and plot to revoke a county in Norway. It is easy to get backers because you get such high relations from subjugation.

After revoking the Norwegian county, if he rebelled, revoke his other county and move your capital to there. If not, the other one will do. Now you get to subjugate all of Norway.

Invade the English King the last day before it expires to give yourself the most chances at free armies. Don't call your allies until this invasion as they get negative diplomacy modifiers each time you call them and you won't need them before. Always accept their calls but don't bother really sending anything. You will be at war permanently until you reform so joining their wars costs you nothing.

When cleaning up Norway, it is better to declare multiple subjugations at once if all of the targets are in close proximity. The time it takes to raise and gather your levies with decent morale can be quite long. Do all of the island counties including Iceland together for instance.

Once you have Norway and Sweden firmly in hand, conquest random counties that strike your interest while waiting for your subjugation timer to finish. It will be ready on Jan 1, 877. I like to start the subjugation of Denmark here with Jylland. Mercenaries will probably be a help here as you cannot count on your allies to help out.

Once you finish that war, you will be able to reform the Norse faith as well as be well on your way to controlling the needed lands to form the Empire of Scandinavia. I preferred to get my succession changed before creating any of my Kingdoms since forming the Kingdom will cause a 10 year wait. I had to release a few very unhappy counts to be able to get my succession changed but they were very easy to pull back into the fold after.

Unfortunately, the succession reversion bug that used to turn elective back into gavelkind still seems to exist. I went with Ultimogeniture but it reverted to Gavelkind when I formed the Kingdoms and Empire. Primogeniture never had this issue so I'll probably try that next time.

Finishing off the Empire requires some painful holy wars in Finland. The supply limit is killer so they will be slow going. However it is easily possible to finish off the Empire by 880ish or so. I prefer to do these holy wars with only my troops and retinues, only raising vassal levies to deal with troops that enter my territory.

I didn't do that much raiding as my forces were constantly at war. Holy wars are worse than the Catholic or Islamic versions of them as the 100 piety cost keeps them from being the lucrative piety pinata that the other versions are.

If you go through succession after moving to Norway but before reforming, you could conceivably unite Finland through subjugation before reforming which would be much faster. Succession is very painful pre-reform though so that may be an impossibility.

8. SuperBeaverInc.

SuperBeaverInc. Groucho

First game with Old Gods, started as the Viking guy in the Duchy of the Isles in Scotland. Took the Lowlands first, then started moving into Ireland. Eventually subjugated Denmark once I decided I wanted to reform the Norse faith.

Next up finish consolidating Norway and then move south to take on England.

9. KaiserElectric

KaiserElectric Total Freakin Besties

I started a game as one of the Norse, and started with an army made of special units that wouldn't reinforce. Any idea what it is?

10. Optical

Optical The Fall of the Eleventh

Event units - like the ones Harald Hardrade and William have at Stamford Bridge.

11. Antilogic

Antilogic --

Or the Magyars have to overrun the Bulgarians and Moravia with. My stacks have been whittled down, though, so I'm not as fearsome as I once was. :(

12. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

The PI forums keep getting overloaded because of TOG. :(

Anyhow, I tried a bit of TOG as a Chinese Viking (modded in a Chinese culture for the lulz), starting a nice, "quiet" game as a OPM chief/count. Raiding gets me way too much money, though it is fun in the beginning when I do not have a lot of troops so I just wait until some Catholic lord depletes his garrisons from some war before I swoop in and loot his holdings. And I stole some Irish dude's wife, that was fun. And my Chinese Viking chief has a hot Russian concubine, that was fun too.

13. Red_Spy

Red_Spy Euphonium Player

Using the Memento Mori mod with the new patch creates quite an... interesting checksum.

Spoiler :

14. madviking

the current victoria ii 3.02 checksum is fckr

15. Sonereal

Sonereal ♫We got the guillotine♫ Supporter

I don't understand how checksums work.

16. madviking

there are a few key numbers in the game that get summed up somehow to produce a checksum.

17. Double A

I don't understand what checksums are.

18. madviking

to make sure people have the same basic game files.

19. Antilogic

Antilogic --

Does it have to do with the last-edited dates for the files? I think it is something along those lines.

20. Double A

And now I know what they do, but still don't know what they are.