1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Crusader Kings 2

Discussion in 'All Other Games' started by SouthernKing, Nov 10, 2011.

1. coanda

coanda Emperor

A checksum is created by looking at specific bits of data within a file, and putting them through a function. E.g., you might have a "checksum" that was simply the sum of every eighth bit in a file (although that would be a pretty awful one). Then if the file was
    FF 01 FC 3F 00 00 D2 8E, your "checksum" would be 11010000, which could be written in hex as D0. So you've condensed the significantly larger FF 01 FC 3F 00 00 D2 8E into a much smaller D0 checksum, but any significant changes to the file are also likely to result in changes to the checksum. Of course, my example checksum function was a terrible one for which that isn't really true - there are a lot of plausible ways FF 01 FC 3F 00 00 D2 8E could be corrupted while leaving every eighth bit in it alone. I only chose it because it was an easy one to demonstrate.

You can compare the checksum in a copy of a file with the original checksum, and if they don't match you know the two files are not exact copies like they should be. If they do match and you've chosen your checksum function wisely, you can feel reasonably confident that no random error crept into the two files making them distinct (a malicious human could, of course, have deliberately changed one of them in such a way as to ensure they still gave the same checksum; it's not generally a security feature).

2. Nintz

Nintz King of the Britons

No, because two people modding the same file the exact same way at two different times gives the same checksum. I think.

Edit: :ninja:'d

3. Antilogic

Antilogic --

Interesting, glad to know how that works.

4. Ailedhoo

Ailedhoo wonderer

Comrades: I bring you the united empire of the Norse!

Spoiler :

For all the characters I played and a hint at the religion of this Norse Europe...

Spoiler :

Next stop: I will need to plot to go east! :D

5. Rub'Rum

Rub'Rum Hates acronyms

I've gotten into this game a bit more in the past week. Maybe I made a mistake by choosing to play as the duke of Kent.

Anyway, none of my first 5 rulers made it past age 30, illnesses and a couple of assassinations. Now I'm a duchess because of all the death in my family. Locked in gavelkin succession so I have to perpetually assassinate sons to make sure I only have one heir. yay. I married the duke of York and my heir is now the duke of both... Well, I have to kill one of my sons to make sure it's not all split. What's the point of all these succession systems anyway when the one you really want is primogeniture anyway. It's just like ... an extra challenge to get to primogeniture. Sure, gavelkind gives you the possibility to hold more demesne... woo-ptee-doo.

Also, something's weird in my game... I'm of the same dynasty as the king of England. The Godwin dynasty. So everytime I'm in a situation where I have no children yet, my heir is the King of England (as a sidenote, I had a bastard child with him as a duchess lol). You really have to give yourself the goal to perpetuate your own family, because the consequence to failing to have heirs, and failing to manage your family, is that you actually end up as the king of England. "Oh, your family died there, you failed, here, play as the king of England! Whom you're barely related too because you share the same great great grandfather". It's like the game is telling me "die already and become king!".

Anyway, it's now 1130 or so and I still don't own more territory than when I started because I can't war with my neighbours (vassals of a high crown authority (all attempts to reduce it failed)). So I'm trying through marriage (gonna be duke of York and Kent soon... although I'm sure something will go terribly wrong when that happens).

6. mechaerik

mechaerik Tuturuu!

Elective is superior to primogeniture.

7. Rub'Rum

Rub'Rum Hates acronyms

Yeah, if people love you (which they should yeah). Anyway, if any of them is superior to the other, it's a bit meh.

8. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

Elective is better for smaller realms. For larger realms it can be tricky.

9. Nintz

Why someone would want an Empire to go elective is beyond me. Even some kingdoms (England, France, Rus/Ruthenia) are big enough to be a challenge in elective. And if you hit Empire-tier, good luck changing the succession law by then.

10. madviking

madviking north american scum

I'm still running elective as the King of Leon-Galicia-Castille-Portugal. :p

Mostly since I have a few genius/quick family members running around with distant uncles/cousins.

11. Honkoid

Honkoid Honk of the hill

Had a 1.09 game where I formed the Empire of Brittania and continously managed to inherit the elective Empire of Britannia and the elective kingdoms of Scotland and Andalusia to my chosen heirs. Key was being an able diplomat (DIP >= 15) and my heir also being a strong diplomat. Felt a bit cheesy because my rulers were all genius and married genius wifes to breed more geniuses.

Should be a bit harder with 1.10, since the patch notes say the probability of pregnancy was significantly lowered.

12. Nintz

Apparently people on the Pdox forums also report that the occurrence of Genius seems much lower, though Quick, Strong, and Attractive seem more common, as well as more 2+ cognative trait people. There officially hasn't been any change to the code, but that has been my general impression as well. I've only had 1 genius child in all of my TOG games so far. Interestingly enough, it was a random genius as well, without any cognitive traits on the parents.

13. madviking

madviking north american scum

I've been able to get quick heirs no problem.

14. Nintz

Quick yes. Genius? Not so much.

15. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

I've heard on the PI forums that Quick is actually better than Genius because parents are more likely to pass on the former to the kids than the latter. Having looked at the game code, this makes absolute sense - "Quick" has the highest inherit chance of any cogenital trait (I think).

16. Double A

Double A wak

Does each parent give the same % chance of inheriting or is there an extra bonus if they both have it?

17. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

No idea, the code doesn't seem ot indicate any of that. I think some players on the PI forums have run some tests to see what was the case, but I don't remember their findings (or if they found anything).

18. Nintz

The basic gist was that both parents having any congenital trait raised the odds of any given child having at last one, positive or negative. When both parents have positive, the inherited trait is almost always positive. When both are negative, the reverse. When two parents had the same trait, the odds for that trait were boosted naturally from one parent having it and the other parent adding further to the percentage. There did not appear to be an extra "set bonus" for having two parents with the same trait beyond the percentage each provides.

19. Ailedhoo

Ailedhoo wonderer

Currently Styrkar I has been increasing the realm size of the Norse Empire, now in his 70s having stolen the title of Kingdom of Bolivia from its King-Bishop, as well as taking Burgundy. As the Norse kings continue to serve the Emperor does come to light that the last Catholic kingdom be Italy, its queen surrounded by the Norse. From the costs of the White Sea to Ireland to Paris to the Canneries to Rome and to the Jarldom of Athens (although the province itself is ruled by the Arabian Empire) is under sphere of control by the great head of the Norse nation and faith: Styrkar I!

20. Nintz

Interesting...