1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Crusader Kings 2

Discussion in 'All Other Games' started by SouthernKing, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Moderator

I'm liking the looks of it too. Those playing on Steam also have the option of Ironman mode and Steam achievements.

2. Antilogic

Antilogic --

Shoot, this reminds me I have two games (Ango-Saxon Britannia, Magyar Carpathia) that I have not finished or even played in awhile.

3. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

Devs also released the full patch 2.0 changelog:

Spoiler :

A lot of awesome changes, tweaks, and fixes not mentioned in the dev diary.

It seems that there have been a lot of tweaks to make WC a lot harder, which I don't mind at all and would prefer.

4. Ailedhoo

Ailedhoo wonderer

I look at the Aztec and Mongol thing, thinking of "more speed, less haste."

While smaller levies may pose game for empire players (although nowadays my empire tends to use its navy and vast armies/mercenaries for defence) that is presuming empires have time to counter the many armies sieging all their provinces...

Anyway: I am looking forward to the expansion. :D

5. Arakhor

I'm glad they've fixed the bethrothal thing. Constantly being offering matrilineal marriages when we had a standard betrothal was most off-putting.

6. coanda

coanda Emperor

My thought reading through the changes...

- Women can now die in childbirth, and there can be other complications, like illness and sickly infants

Good change. Should do something to help bring family sizes back to reasonable numbers, although childhood mortality would probably do more.

- There is now a +50 opinion bonus when a liege is the primary defender in a war against foreigners

That won't be abused at all...

- Armies on ships are capped at 50% morale

This was a very clever change. It should pretty much cripple the boat-bombing tactics people (ab)used to avoid attrition limits, while having almost no impact on the rest of the game.

- Mercenary maintenance increased by 20%

Well, it's a start. 200% would probably have been better - or better yet, low initially but sharply rising over time to discourage dependence.

- Levy sizes now depend on the de jure region they are in (the most in the capital county, the least outside the capital empire.)

Should make realms be a bit more likely to resemble de jure borders. Also may make late-game a touch harder, although I don't see it making a significant difference unless it's a big swing in levy size.

- Rebalanced the Volley Harass combat tactic

Read: Fixed the Volley Harass combat tactic. 10-to-1 all they did was fix the stupid typo that made it trigger based on foot archers but give a bonus to horse archers and penalty to foot archers. Which, don't get me wrong, is a good thing to fix.

- New randomly generated bishops and mayors now get the local liege's culture rather than the top liege's

Hurray! Three cheers for the Italians not going extinct! Seriously, this is one of the best changes I've seen here. It should make realms a lot more interesting and less stable, because you won't have all the bishops become top-liege culture, then educate all the heirs to also be top-liege culture two or three generations down the line.

- The Aztecs, Mongols and Seljuks now spawn with more but smaller regiments

Not quite sure how this will work in practice. Will you be able to camp the spawn point and swat them as they arrive, making the hordes too easy? Will they all just agglomerate into one doom stack first-thing anyways, making this essentially no change at all?

the new bastard dynasty system

The what now?

- Added 'monthly_income' field to landed titles for extra income

That... should lead to some pretty cool mods a few months down the line.

Plus, of course, a lot of bug fixes and minor tweaks; several changes to battles and wars that I'll have to see in action to judge; a lot of AI changes which may or may not actually work as advertised; a lot of new flavor.

Overall, looks like a very promising patch.

7. Double A

Double A wak

I think it just means their armies are more flexible. Say a doomstack has six units of 3000. This probably breaks them down into 18 units of 1000.

8. Honkoid

Honkoid Honk of the hill

This would make it actually easier, because you face smaller units in battle and not those massive 100K doomstacks.

9. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

So SoA's just out, and while I won't get to try it until later tonight, I did get a chance to look at the new code and art. Some thoughts I have while looking at just the code and art from SoA (so first impressions sort of froma modder's perspective):

- Sympathy for different religions appears to be semi-hardcoded (you can only give it to vanilla religions), which sucks.
    - You can now code traits to be lost on religion change, awesome
    - The way the childbirth events are coded are pretty nice, using it from on_actions.
    - Jewish Passover is kind of lame. Like really, really lame. It looks literally like 3 linear events.
    - Jewish courtier spawn is okay, though it doesn’t appear to account for location (i.e. Ashkenazi and Sephardi Jews can appear pretty much anywhere that isn’t pagan).
    - Lots of really cool new event pictures, some don’t even appear to be related to SoA stuff but who cares.

10. Glassmage

Glassmage The Desert Flame

bought all the new dlcs except the beard customizer which is $5 for some reason....

11. Arakhor

It's not just beards, but £4 or 5000 Blue Coins really isn't that much comparatively.

12. bonefang

bonefang Emperor

okay guys, I have a query, my old wooden PC cant run Ck2.I fished out my CK1 cd. Any one help me to some mods please ?

13. fromar

fromar Warlord

I've been playing Crusader Kings II like crazy the past few weeks. This game is really good. It's a maps game on the surface, but is really about the people. The mix between RPG, relationship management, and pure strategy is compelling to say the least. It's really difficult to describe until you jump in. I recommend watching some videos from Arumba.

I do wish CivFanatics had an active CK2 forum. The Paradox forums are not moderated like the CivFanatics forums, and it shows. Endless threads of "This game was perfect until you patched it, now it's trash", name calling, everyone is stupid except for me, etc. CivFanatics is the model of how a game forum should run.

14. madviking

madviking north american scum

15. uat2d

uat2d ಠ_ಠ

What about this event chain?

16. Glassmage

Glassmage The Desert Flame

2pro4me

17. Antilogic

Antilogic --

You can actually be the antichrist. Score. :lol:

18. Sonereal

Sonereal ♫We got the guillotine♫ Supporter

I was already the Antichrist.

One thing to be the character though. Another to go up against one. I can imagine assassination probability against them secretly always ending in your death, but not before your entire family dies in suspicious accidents.

19. SuperBeaverInc.

SuperBeaverInc. Groucho

I had the spawn of Satan event fire for me last night. Was pretty awesome, though I chose to go the route of declaring the child as Satan spawn, which annulled my marriage to his mother and had him declared a bastard. He hung around my court until he was about 20 and then launched an invasion of Great Moravia, since he had a claim to it through his mother.

20. GoodGame

GoodGame Red, White, & Blue, baby!

Is the newest DLC basically a cheat mode? Like is it worth picking up just to ask the Pope for a better kingdom or something?