1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Currency changes

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Elta, Dec 28, 2010.

?

Pocket changes

1. Pro: More two dollar bills in relation to one dollar bills (in your country)

33.3%
  2. Against: More two dollar bills in relation to one dollar bills (in your country)

43.6%
  3. Pro: Change all one dollar bills for one dollar coins? (U.S.)

56.4%
  4. Against: Change all one dollar bills for one dollar coins? (U.S.)

33.3%
  5. Pro: For every two quarters mint, mint one fifty cent piece (U.S.)

59.0%
  6. Against: For every two quarters mint, mint one fifty cent piece (U.S.)

23.1%
  7. Pro: Eliminate the U.S. cent

79.5%
  8. Against: Eliminate the U.S. cent

17.9%
  9. Pro: Eliminate the Canadian cent

69.2%
  10. Against: Eliminate the Canadian cent

15.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. kiwitt

kiwitt Road to War Modder

We do the same here in NZ ... We use a debit card for all purchases ... and no fees on transactions. So you can use it for all purchases

2. metatron

metatron unperson

You are perfectly able to have coins at 5c, 10c ,25c ,50c and 1$ without any trouble. Two of those are "uneven". Still: No trouble.
    You could also go with 2c, 10c, (20c), 50c and 1$, which would be somewhat less practical but still without any of the problems you worry about.

Altenatively you could do what i suggested and ditch everything that's smaller than a quarter.

Also note: Changing the penny's composition would not fix your loss of time dealing with it.

That does sound very nice. :)

3. Souron

Souron The Dark Lord

There is no 2 cent peice that I'm aware of. If there is, they should get rid of it too.

4. Tani Coyote

Tani Coyote Praise Huehuecoyotl

Why yes, but there's no two-cent piece involved there. :p All these coin values work with eachother quite well.

This could work but would shift the cost of living quite dramatically. I doubt most companies will make goods cheaper.

Logic says that if we get rid of the penny, everything will be rounded down or up, and so the two-cent piece will likely become the replacement. This creates issues when mixed with odd-numbered coins, but works fine with others.

5. Souron

Souron The Dark Lord

You round up or down to the nearest nickle. Why would you do it any other way?

6. metatron

metatron unperson

No, there isn't. Cause you get rid of that too while you are at it. :)

I suppose 5c today arn't really worth significantly more than a penny in the 50s. Probably on the contrary.
    Wait a sec. This is a trap. You're trying to make a lefty insist that markets work, don't you? :D

Well, i insist: Markets work quite often. And what you fear would not happen.
    Of course everybody would claim so none the less.

7. Integral

Integral Can't you hear it?

Someone call New Zealand. They had a small price deflation upon abolishing the 1- and 5-cent pieces.

No country that has eliminated a small-denomination coin has seen an increase in inflation as a result.

edit:
    Logic says that if we get rid of the penny, everything will be rounded to the nearest nickel. No need to introduce a worthless coin to replace a worthless coin.

8. fdgsgds

fdgsgds Mustard Enthusiast

Can someone explain to me the reasons for making one dollar bills into coins? Not that I'm totally against it.

9. GamezRule

GamezRule Inconceivable!

I think it is probably similar to the gold standard. I wouldn't support eliminating the penny unless the dollar were to inflate a lot more, something we should work to avoid. Also, I voted against everything except making one 50 cent piece for two quarters minted. We need a nifty name for the 50 cent piece, though.

10. Bill3000

Bill3000 OOOH NOOOOOOO! Supporter

smaller, more mobile, and not worthless craps of paper that degrade after 2 weeks due to overuse

11. Shadylookin

Shadylookin master debater

they've tried to introduce a dollar coin several times, but George Washington is a lot cooler than Eisenhower, Susan B. Anthony, and Sacajawea(praise be to firefox's spell check) combined.

12. emzie

emzie wicked witch of the North

When you account for the lifetime of a dollar coin, they're significantly cheaper than replacing bills every 18 months.

when I'm in the US, 1 dollar bills annoy me. They just stack up in my wallet.

13. Bill3000

Bill3000 OOOH NOOOOOOO! Supporter

Put Washington on the dollar coin. Probably solved! :yeah:

14. GamezRule

GamezRule Inconceivable!

To late, Kennedy and Sacagawea already have it. :p

15. Theige

Theige American Baron

I pay for almost everything with my debit card, no matter how small the purchase. I only carry cash for places that don't accept cards (they're out there).

16. GenMarshall

GenMarshall Night Elven Ghost Agent

Versailles City, Vekta, United Terran Systems
    They did with the presidential dollar coin series.

17. Cashie

Cashie King

I don't think that was intentional; until recently, there was no note larger than $10 (10,000 won). Using cash was a complete pain in the rear. They've got a fifty (₩50,000) now.

18. Yared

Yared That Guy

In Sweden, we have coinage for the equivalents of 1 euro (10kr), 50c (5kr) and 10c (1kr). For the equivalents of 2 euro, 5 euro, 10 euro, 50 euro and 100 euro we have banknotes. We just recently scrapped the 5c (50 öre) coin.

We don't have any notes for 200 kr, 2000 kr and 5000 kr like there are 20/200/500 bills.

There's been discussion of introducing a 20c (2kr) coin and a 20 euro (200kr) bill, along with turning the 2 euro bill (20kr) into a coin.

(Note that €1 = 8.96 SEK; 10 SEK = £1.11)

19. LAnkou

LAnkou Breizh A Tao

In France, we got less coins but with littler facial value and more notes...

The 500€ note is a joke, never seen one yet. Half the minimum monthly salary in France? The tale tells it comes from the german and their fear of inflation...

when we get the Euro, we passed from having:
    FRF: 5c, 10c, 20c, 50c, 1FRF, 2FRF, 5FRF, 10FRF, 20FRF (coins)
    to
    EUR: 1c, 2c, 5c, 10c, 20c, 50c, 1€, 2€ (coins)

and

FRF: 20, 50, 100, 200, 500FRF (notes)
    to
    EUR: 5, 10, 20, 50, 100, 200, 500€ (notes)

20. uppi

uppi Deity

It exists because we don't want to carry so many notes when shuffling cash to and from Switzerland ;)

I haven't seen one either. I did have a 200€ note once, because the air force insisted on the first pay being in cash.