1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Current v1.13 Development Discussion

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall - Dawn of Civilization' started by Leoreth, Sep 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sebzilla

sebzilla Chieftain

Anything special in the works for SVN 1000?

2. Imp. Knoedel

Imp. Knoedel Knoedel Imperator Satani Filius Augustus Nooborum

Hooves crossed for inclusion of Equestria.

3. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

Another update on the resource trade AI: I have tracked down one reason for seemingly unreasonable AI demands. As you might remember, I have previously improved the AI to value resources based on their actual benefit. For instance, the old AI would always evaluate a +1 happiness resource the same way, while the new AI would consider it worthless if there was sufficient happiness in its cities already.

However, I forgot to adjust the criteria for the "we would have nothing to gain" response in the diplo AI. Previously the AI would only reject resources it already had this way, but now resources can be worthless even if the AI doesn't have them. Since it wasn't programmed to outright exclude these worthless resources from deals, it would often include them in counterproposals even though they did not contribute to balancing both sides of the table (I suppose it is encouraged to start with asking for the cheapest item on your side first).

I fixed this by giving these worthless resources the "we would have nothing to gain" response as well. This will also prevent yourself from pointlessly offering a resource the AI has no interest in.

4. Imp. Knoedel

Have you done something about pre-Guilds Workshops yet? Like I said, they either need to provide 2 hammers from the start or not lose food until they provide more than one hammer.

5. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

Just doing this monster commit:

Yep, it's real. No tricks, all treat.

6. Panopticon

Panopticon Utilitarian

Looks good, will play.

7. NerfCothons

NerfCothons Chieftain

Did you decide against +1p for whaling boats under naval supremacy?

Did you mean to implement a -1c penalty for windmills under central planning? It's in the current version but not in the notes. My apologies if this is your way of implementing David Hasselhoff's guest appearance.

8. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

Yeah. It doesn't have much of an effect either way, and I felt it cluttered the civic.

Haha, that would have been the perfect way to troll Imperator Knoedel, why didn't I think of this. Unfortunately it's just a documentation error.

9. Imp. Knoedel

Link to video.

This is the worst day since Christmas '91!

10. Tigranes

Tigranes Armenian

I am sorry -- did you mean "cost" instead of "speed"? Or these are different things?

11. NerfCothons

NerfCothons Chieftain

Started a Portugal game, researched banking, switched to mercantilism, and the trade route values in my capital went down. The modifier on capital trade may be too low in mercantilism.

12. Eric Cartmenez

Eric Cartmenez Chieftain

Thank you Leoreth for finally posting new SVN commit, I was seriously thinking of freezing myself and phone call you from the future, like I already did once in the past :D

So curious to test the gameplay under new civics.

13. ezzlar

ezzlar Chieftain

Oh! Impressive!

I think the dynasticism/vassalage combo is a bit too extreme. With a castle in your city you can get 7 happiness. No other civic is even close to this. I get the impression that democracy and public welfare accounts very little for overall happiness while military troops and a glourious head of state is all you can wish for! ;)

14. Imp. Knoedel

To be fair I think that is appropriate. Democratic governments are for civs that already have plenty of happiness resources and infrastructure in place, while less developed ones fare better with a monarchy.

15. ezzlar

ezzlar Chieftain

But still. An early game civic giving that much happiness. When will happiness ever be a problem? (3000bc china start maybe)

16. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

Speed is correct: Japan researches slower, increased cost would be another way to put it.

Okay. Note that trade routes to your capital in your other cities are also affected, though.

Um, wait what?

17. Eric Cartmenez

Eric Cartmenez Chieftain

Um, wait what?[/QUOTE]

Haven't you seen South Park episode 10x12 Go God Go?, it's hilarious, Cartman can't wait for the Nintendo Wee arrival anymore, so he freezes himself, but things go the unexpected way :lol:

18. Chep

Chep Chieftain

is the Japanese UHV victory now impossible if you raze a city before 1600AD?

19. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

Haha yes I've seen that episode. Didn't realize you were being in character.

No, razing cities does not count. Losing is only giving control of a city you already own to another player by whatever means (conquest, trade, flip ...), no matter if it is razed afterwards.

20. Chep

Chep Chieftain

okay, thanks.

make sure that "another player" includes the Independents to prevent liberate-cheese.

So far, so good:

(though this is 1570 already and only on Monarch - with 4 cities running 100% culture all the way from 1390 and all my cities had Castles since then)

have to say the only time I was able to use my Samurai was against the Spanish in ~1500 when they tried to take Manila from me (idiots :D ). Having an independent or Barbarian settlement somewhere close would be nice. In my game I just stockpiled a dozen Samurai in my Capitol before I noticed that it is more efficient to build culture/gold.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.