1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[RD] Daily Graphs and Charts

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Winner, Dec 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. metatron

metatron unperson

The Atlantic has this graph (apparently the same study):

Spoiler :

Uh, that's big! Here you can see it in readable size.

So how exactly does this add up?
    And since when is it acceptable to reference stuff uploaded to the den of crazies?

2. metatron

metatron unperson

While we are at it...

PBS had this graph:

Spoiler :

I sympathise and i'm sure the jist of the graph may be fine. But there's an obvious problem here: The "all" for "white on black" is outside the range given by the two subsets. That should, like, not happen. Meaning somebody screwed this up.
    And of course i got to see the graph on Chris Hayes' ( :mischief: ) show the same day.

Has this been debated in US media (i'm thinking like conservative media hysterically crying foul, PBS issueing a correction - that sort of thing)?

3. Mise

Mise isle of lucy

I'm confused as to what those numbers even mean.

4. Mise

Mise isle of lucy

I see, thanks. I assume SYG = Stand Your Ground?

5. SS-18 ICBM

SS-18 ICBM Oscillator

Catmull-Clark subdivision surfaces are a way of creating smooth surfaces in graphics modelling.

6. Arwon

Arwon

That's an interesting Australian result.

7. dido

dido Prince

The EU is gonna submit to their Chinese overlords:run:

8. metatron

metatron unperson

On the contrary.
    Have a closer look at European (and Chinese) current accounts.
    You can easily make the time by reading one less piece about Greek protesters and the Fourth Reich by some Anglosphere "journalist".

Anywho, more bad graphs:

This one is basically fine. The thing is that it's not very useful. Without having comparable data on attitudes on war and US foreign policy in general it's a lot less informative than one would think.

9. Algeroth

Algeroth 8 and 1/2

This one is fine. It tells what it needs to thell: That there is a wide gender gap on the dronestrikes. Its your and only your problem that you want to generalize some ideas about US foreign policy or what.

10. Monsterzuma

Monsterzuma the sly one

what does approve mean? approve its use as a substitute for sacrificing human lives in assaults that would happen anyway, or approve the attack when the alternative is nothing?

anyway, yes or no on both depending on the severity of the threat being responded to, premptively or otherwise. dumb poll.

11. metatron

metatron unperson

:huh:

The thing is that it's perfectly possible that women (more so than men) just disagree with warfare (or violent secret service activity or however you want to categorise) in general, but are in comparison less "not ok" with the drone strikes.
    The graph has no obligation to tell us that, but it would be neat to know.
    Very neat actually since i feel extremely comfortable to suspect (at the very least) that women in most or all of these countries disapprove of warfare and interventionist foreign policy more than men do. Of course what MZ said is likely quite crucial at that point, too.

The most interesting information here is - consequently - how these two gender gaps compare.
    So, yeah, i'm blaming the graph for not being very interesting, not for not chastising US foreign policy enough (or whatever your strawman was supposed to be about exactly).

In short:

Spoiler :

12. dido

dido Prince

Huh?:confused:

I guess I should make myself clear. I am somewhat surprised that so many EU countries think China IS the world's superpower when she clearly isn't and probably won't be for at least another decade or two

13. dutchfire

dutchfire Deity Retired Moderator

14. dutchfire

15. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

16. dutchfire

17. metatron

metatron unperson

It's a craze. Started in the early 90's, mostly in Germany. And if we're good at one thing it's exporting crazes. It's the thing most opinion pieces on the Eurocrisis fail to tell people, while they go on and on about how the fact that my grandfather played with bricks of paper is supposed to affect me (ignoring the question how this is supposed to convince, say the French).
    It's the unbeatable argument backing the whole thing: "Eat your peas or the Chinese will get your manufacturing and your kids'll have to go to public schools with mold in them."

18. dutchfire

As opposed to the current brilliant state of the buildings Germany's universities reside in?

19. metatron

metatron unperson

Shush! :D

20. Lord Chambers

Lord Chambers Emperor

"A recent slowdown in the upward march of global temperatures is likely to be the result of the slow warming of the deep oceans, British scientists said on Monday. Oceans are some of the Earth’s biggest absorbers of heat, which can be seen in effects such as sea-level rises, caused by the expansion of large bodies of water as they warm. Temperatures around the world have been broadly static over the past five years, though they were still significantly above historic norms, and the years from 2000 to 2012 comprise most of the 14 hottest years ever recorded. The scientists said the evidence still clearly pointed to a continuation of global warming in the coming decades as greenhouse gases in the atmosphere contribute to climate change."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.