[RD] Daily Graphs and Charts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chromatic aberration is the tendency of different colors of light to have different points of focus.

This causes fringes of colour to appear in images, such as at the right part of the roof in the bottom picture (lower quality lens):

It can be corrected by a diffractive element that increases dispersion of certain colors so that they match:

Another option is an achromatic doublet, in which the added lens functions in a similar way to a diffractive element:

Americans on food stamps
By Rebecca Rolfe, Published: July 11, 2013

The number of people using food stamps through the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) increased by an average of 13 percent a year from 2008 to 2012. House Republicans dropped funding for food stamps from a new version of the farm bill. Voting takes place Thursday. Read related article.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/special/politics/food-stamps/

I like that Mexico and France think the most that China had already replaced the USA.
The nation that most obviously has an inferiority complex and the nation that has... oh.
Okay.. I forgot Poland.
Can this post get any more clichéd?
Spoiler :
I mean come on - Poland of all places? I most be trapped inside some sort of cliché universe.

yep, China is already ahead of US in terms of purchasing power. Even by the metrics by which it isn't yet, the crossing point is at about 2016.

I've ordered about 500 euros worth of cheap azz stuff from China. The kind of deals you can get is incredible. Everything is cheaper there and the quality tradeoff is quite tolerable. That kind of thing is what massively boosts their GDP when properly taken in account.

And what about all of the other things that decrease their GDP? Like, accurate statistics?

The Chinese economy is still considerably smaller than the US economy even when accounting purchasing power.

Even if the Chinese economy surpasses the American economy in size (something I am rather doubtful of happening) it is unlikely they will be a superpower anytime soon. They are surrounded by hostile powers and have a nation with close to five times the people the US has. This means for the average Chinese person to be as rich as the average American, the Chinese economy would have to be around five times as large as the American economy. That will never happen.

It is unlikely the yuan will overtake the dollar until it is willing to float to the freest extent. Once this happens, it is likely the yuan will appreciate greatly leading to even further decline in the demand for labor from China.

cool interactive chart: http://graphics.wsj.com/world-debts/#i=999&b=1

Netherlands is Ireland 2.0.
Ireland and the Netherlands benefit/suffer from the same thing - having lots of international financial services distorting our economic statistics.

I'd have to check the statistics but Ireland's private debt is very definitely inflated by international companies being registered here. (see Depfa for example http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/central-bank-had-17bn-exposure-to-depfa-bank-26656265.html)

Anecdotally Ireland's domestic private debt (mortgages, credit card, car loan etc.) is falling as people pay down existing debt and the banks aren't giving out new loans.

Public debt is exploding as we continue to spend far more than we collect in taxes and because bank bailouts will have to be repaid from the public purse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom