• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

[RD] Daily Graphs and Charts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nothing's jumping out at me here.

Is that a short-term or temporary trend? Because all this graph's telling me is that there's a lot of variation in the price of beef trimmings. I can't even see a year-by-year or monthly trend.

Typically when several years are plotted on the same axis, the aim is to show seasonality. I.e. visually, you're comparing January 2014 with January 2013, Jan 2011, Jan 2012, etc, and (separately) seeing if there are any seasonal variations. The graph posted is very messy, and not at all how I would display it, but it does show that prices in Jan and Feb 2014 are higher than any other January and February on record.

I cannot see color, so that graph is useless to me.
I'm representative of 5% of the male population, and so I comment hoping that other graph-makers remember this.

The graph doesn't have enough context. So I suppose that makes it not very useful. Prices are up at some times, but not others. And without the context, it's hard to make sense of why that is. But it is also not representing long term trends, but rather responses to external factors.

Typically when several years are plotted on the same axis, the aim is to show seasonality. I.e. visually, you're comparing January 2014 with January 2013, Jan 2011, Jan 2012, etc, and (separately) seeing if there are any seasonal variations. The graph posted is very messy, and not at all how I would display it, but it does show that prices in Jan and Feb 2014 are higher than any other January and February on record.

2013 has a maximum in the summer, 2012 a minimum. :dunno:

The idea that dark matter, specifically, has 'not been observed' is laughable.

edit: oh, wait, dark matter was observed after that article was published. Well, points scored for the theorists (again), I guess

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-24987749
However, much recent excitement in the dark matter community has been surrounding the latest results from another underground laboratory. The LUX (Large Underground Xenon) detector is situated down a deep gold mine in South Dakota.

ts first three-month run took place earlier this year and while it did not detect any dark matter particles, it has shown itself to be the most powerful and sensitive detector of its kind so far.

It has already ruled out a number of candidate signals seen in other experiments - and knowing what dark matter isn't is almost as important as knowing what it is. Next year it is to begin its work in earnest.

Scheduled to start in 2014, this will be a continuous 300-day run that, it is hoped, will finally directly detect dark matter particles. And if it doesn't, well physicists are already designing a new bigger and more sensitive detector: the LZ experiment, which they believe should definitively detect WIMPs - if they're out there.

Of course, if physicists continue to come up empty-handed in their search, then it just may be that we've got it wrong about dark matter altogether. If it turns out not to be made up of WIMPs we will have to go back to our blackboards in the search for an alternative theory and explanation for what we are seeing through our telescopes.

And what happens when we solve the dark matter mystery? Well, there's still the two thirds of the Universe that is even more mysterious - the stuff called dark energy. And we have hardly even begun to figure out how to go looking for that.
Apparently it is still a mystery, even though it has been observed. :confused: So far all we have seen confirmation bias, those who are looking for it assume it is there and thus they make the claim they have found it, when they are assuming they have found it.

Looks like the left axis is total consumer prices, and the right axis is gasoline prices.

The right axis doesn't even have zero line. When you're doing two-axis graphs, and both graphs have a zero present, the zero line should go all the way across and join both sides. It's fine for the scales to be different (that's the whole point of two axes!) but if the zeros are in different places it looks terrible.

The other point, which is less important but still irks me, is that the major unit on the right axis is 19. NINETEEN?! Why are we expected to count in 19s all of a sudden? The point of the gridlines / major unit is so that you can easily see roughly what number each point is. If the scale is 10s, and the line is roughly half way between two gridlines, then I know the number ends in a 5. If it's 1/3rd up, then it ends in a 3. Etc etc. Having the major unit as 19 makes it unnecessarily difficult to see what the numbers are.

Presumably, they've done it in such a cackhanded way because they wanted to show a correlation between petrol price changes and consumer price changes, and setting the units to be more sensible, and to cross through zero at the same place, makes it more difficult to show that. Having said that, it looks like the red line is still "too low"; making zero on the left axis correspond to -20 on the right axis or something (thus shifting the red line up a bit) would probably make the correlation even more obvious. So maybe it's not deliberate, just that those were the default scales and units when they plotted it in Excel and they don't know how or why they should change it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom