[RD] Daily Graphs and Charts

Status
Not open for further replies.
You make moving sound easy.

Is the message here that the US does not need to care about climate change? :mischief:

That's relative damage, not absolute damage. The developed nations may be relatively better off, that doesn't mean well off. That is, the mass deaths will be where people are the poorest.

The US is among the least vulnerable? Isn't there a lot of reports about water scarcity in the Southwest?

Ultimately America still has way more resources and ability at its disposal to deal with climate issues compared to some random third world country.

So essentially the chart's just repeating which nations are poor and which nations are rich. At least the results for New Zealand, South Korea, and Japan are interesting.

I figured it more about long term stability during escalation of climate change, the US has the room and resources to abandon the SW and still be OK but a country like Russia that's already economically and politically iffy likely would collapse from the strain, Japan and the various island states I guess would simply sink too far to remain stable.

Why the USSR has major trade breaks? WWII?

trade data is unavailable for Japan and the USSR ant points because these data needed was either wasn't recorded or have gone "missing'...Somehow i don't know how that one could be explained.

It probably has to do with their weak infrastructure. They probably aren't more vulnerable than Canada, but are much less able to deal with any problems that they do face.

So it's is more to do with their economy and how they can handle the situation. the richer the nation the better able they are to withstand the effects of climate. So why are we trying to stop poor countries from becoming rich?

Are you suggesting that the best way of dealing with pollution is by polluting more?

What makes Russia vulnerable? I assumed that along with Canada they had basically all upside from global warming?

Edit: I know Russia isn't on the vulnerable list, but they are listed as more vulnerable than Canada, America, etc.

It was more than two years since some major summer forest fires in Russia, so I guess that people forgot that continental summer tends to be pretty awful, even in temperate climates. Plus, Russian South is a really dry place.

So it's is more to do with their economy and how they can handle the situation. the richer the nation the better able they are to withstand the effects of climate. So why are we trying to stop poor countries from becoming rich?

We're not. That said, the US refused to ratify Kyoto (and thus limit its CO2 production) unless the poor countries also agree to. But, iirc, that was during a Republican Congress, so you're really asking them.

The obvious answer is that the wealthier nations should be tampening down first. But, people will whine and whine and whine about the 4 tonnes coming from an Indian while they emit 19 tonnes.

The governments of poor countries are the ones preventing poor countries from becoming rich. It's not on us.

Colonialism didn't help. And many other things didn't help either. But it's been more than half a century. And more than 100 countries haven't done jack poop economically since colonialism ended. Many have even gone backwards since then. So as terrible as colonialism was, you really have to ask why generations of post-colonial leaders haven't at all improved the situation.

The governments of poor countries are the ones preventing poor countries from becoming rich. It's not on us.

Well, there is the subsidies of local farmers drastically out-competing poor farmers. And there are Western based corporations lobbying for unfair mineral extraction deals in poor countries. So, it's not completely black and white.

Well, there is the subsidies of local farmers drastically out-competing poor farmers. And there are Western based corporations lobbying for unfair mineral extraction deals in poor countries. So, it's not completely black and white.

No. In many cases the developed nations are not helping. But you need only look to South Korea to see what's possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom