1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[RD] Daily Graphs and Charts

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Winner, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Whomp

Whomp Keep Calm and Carry On Retired Moderator

The whole population? If not what is the working population that is assumed? Seems like it doesn't account for demographics whatsoever or it is just a bad chart.

2. Monsterzuma

Monsterzuma the sly one

it's the whole population without regard to demographics, yes. and that's exactly why it's interesting. it shows you exactly how many people are working without having built in assumptions and interpretations that obfuscate the issue. a U3 unemployment rate is an abstraction, this is not.

by the way, to the extent demographics are the reason (they just partially are; a large part is still cyclical) it doesn't mean it's therefore not a reason for concern. the american economy experienced its growth in the decades before 2008 on a constant rising trend in the employment/population ratio. without that boost, a lower long term growth expectation is appropriate.

3. Terxpahseyton

Terxpahseyton How much Parmesan to put on your umbrella?

I think this graph is absolutely fabulous. It unravels a reality cast into non-existence by the usual measures.

4. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

Is it a bad thing, though? I mean, it's bad for the unemployed, of course. But taken globally, should we be in favour of working at all? Especially in work which isn't particularly "enriching". And most of it isn't, imo.

Working just for the sake of it? Meh.

5. Terxpahseyton

Terxpahseyton How much Parmesan to put on your umbrella?

I feel you, idle brother. But that would require a revolution of economics as well as international politics.

6. dutchfire

dutchfire Deity

It's even more striking on the longer time scale.

Bureau of Labor Statistics, LNS12300000
    population age 16 and older.

Kids who went to college in 2009 to avoid the labor market are only just graduating.

7. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

It may not be an abstraction. But it's also not a useful piece of information. It tells you nothing about what portion of the population actually wants to be part of the labor force.

8. Whomp

9. Whomp

Mexicans are washing their hair a lot and Sweden is the only country where men shower more than women.

Russian women have the biggest demands for jewelry, makeup and shaved legs.

10. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Shampoos = showers?

A "shampoo"` is what.. when you wash your head under the sink or something?

11. Whomp

I'm not sure what the "shampoo = showers" line is. Shampoo it says is fully sanitizing their head.

12. madviking

madviking north american scum

i think shampoo refers to a shower where you actually shampoo your hair instead of just washing yourself

13. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Weird, who does that? Goes in a shower and then only washes their head - seems really weird to me.

14. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

Sometimes people just do a quick rinse, I guess. I've done that occasionally if I want to finish it quickly.

15. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

Er... I don't ever remember doing that. But I might have.

I've gone in the shower just to wash my feet before now, though.

16. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

I guess I shouldn't assume that the way I wash myself in any reflects how other people do it.. but I've just never heard anyone ever say: "brb - I'm gonna have a shampoo"

Either way though interesting stats - I'm looking into Brazilian shower culture to see what the hell they're doing - I love showers, maybe I can use that as an excuse to shower all the time.

edit: Apparently Brazilians shower all the time, because they are obsessed with hygiene. There - I have my excuse, even if the only sources I'm finding are sketchy blogs...

17. Whomp

I think it might be weather related if you look at all the above average shower taking countries have warm weather. Turkey is the only outlier there.

I'm pretty sure the shampoos are done at the same time as the showers most of the time.

18. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Yeah, the heat definitely plays a huge part in them being obsessed with hygiene - at least according to what I was able to dig up. It's probably just a silly stereotype or whatever, so I should stop saying it. But the data does sort of support the assertion that Brazilians shower quite a bit (an inspirational amount)

19. Takhisis

Takhisis la la la la la

Which, given that luiz's taught us that everything in Brazil is going to the dogs, has convinced me to shower every other week, if and only if I can't bear my own stench.

20. Samez

Samez ION GUNNER

Neither a graph nor a chart, but still worth posting: