[RD] Daily Graphs and Charts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spoiler :

Share with your friends, make this map more popular than the horribly wrong one that was posted.

IIRC Belarus has around 1.5 million Roman Catholics, yet the map shows entire country as Orthodox. They are mostly concentrated in western and northern regions of Belarus, being majority in some areas. On the other hand there is no Catholic majority in westernmost strip of Ukraine. There are no longer many Roman Catholics there. The highest concentration of Roman Catholics is in Zhytomyr Oblast - around 9%.

Percent of Roman Catholics by Oblast in 2010:

They are mostly concentrated in western and northern regions of Belarus, being majority in some areas.

OK, I've found it.

Areas with Roman Catholic majority in Belarus around year 2000 (dark grey):

This map does not include irreligious people of Roman Catholic ancestry, of course.

Attachments

• RCs Belarus.png
    RCs Belarus.png
    31.4 KB · Views: 261
There's buddhists in South Russia? TIL.

Kalmyks. They follow Tibetan Buddhism.

and what's that on that tip of Alaska? Orthodox?

That would be the Lake and Peninsula Borough.

East Asia is still kind of blech. But I guess there's only so much you can do.

I purposely failed to include Traditional X religions (eg. traditional Chinese, traditional African, etc)

Nice work, TK. A few questions/comments:

1. What's that smudge of Protestantism in Hungary?
2. Are Korean Christians really that concentrated on the western coast?
3. I don't see a tiny dot of Ibadi in Zanzibar.
4. y u have so many islands yo
5. This is just a suggestion, but perhaps have little blue stars or something in major cities with large Jewish populations and are major centers of Jewish communities - it was a feature on a religious world map in one of my atlases I thoguht was neat

What's that smudge of Protestantism in Hungary?
Reformed Church. Hungary became quite strongly Protestant during the Reformation, and although mostly it returned back to Catholicism during the Counter-Reformation, a lot of the nobility in the East of the country remained Calvinists so the area remained a Protestant enclave in the Hapsburg Empire. (Famous Hungarian Calvinists include: Elizabeth Bathory, Marshall Horthy; that is the end of my list, because apparently all I know about Hungary is "vampires and fascists".)

2. Are Korean Christians really that concentrated on the western coast?

As far as I can gather from Wikipedia, yeah.

At least it is good for the major cities. On the west coast, we have Seoul (37% Christian, 17% Buddhist), Incheon (36% Christian, 14% Buddhist), and Gwangju (33% Christian, 14% Buddhist). On the east coast, Busan (39% Buddhist, 18% Christian), and Daegu a bit inland from that (33% Buddhist, 20% Christian). Daejeon, inland in the central west, is 22% Buddhist, 32% Christian.

(Korea has a high percentage of nonreligious, hence the percentages don't add up to 100%)

3. I don't see a tiny dot of Ibadi in Zanzibar.

Mah bad :p

5. This is just a suggestion, but perhaps have little blue stars or something in major cities with large Jewish populations and are major centers of Jewish communities - it was a feature on a religious world map in one of my atlases I thoguht was neat

I thought so, but how large is "large"?

I assume because they're difficult to map?

Yeah. But also more because it's implied anyway. Like, wow, Korean traditional religion in Korea?? Who would have guessed??

So I only put down religions with some claims to universality, rather than local or ethnic-based traditions. :)

Yeah. But also more because it's implied anyway. Like, wow, Korean traditional religion in Korea?? Who would have guessed??

So I only put down religions with some claims to universality, rather than local or ethnic-based traditions. :)

Makes sense! I kind of like that actually, it being a map of universal religions.

As far as I can gather from Wikipedia, yeah.

At least it is good for the major cities. On the west coast, we have Seoul (37% Christian, 17% Buddhist), Incheon (36% Christian, 14% Buddhist), and Gwangju (33% Christian, 14% Buddhist). On the east coast, Busan (39% Buddhist, 18% Christian), and Daegu a bit inland from that (33% Buddhist, 20% Christian). Daejeon, inland in the central west, is 22% Buddhist, 32% Christian.

(Korea has a high percentage of nonreligious, hence the percentages don't add up to 100%)

Huh, that's interesting. Though I'm generally wary of definitions of nonreligious outside of the Euro-American sphere, there seems to be more nonreligious people in Korea than I thought, but I'm guessing the situation isn't too different than in other similar Asian countries.

I thought so, but how large is "large"?

Yeah, good point. If I recall the map in my atlas only had NYC and a couple of other cities, so they were probably really large and major centers.

Yeah, good point. If I recall the map in my atlas only had NYC and a couple of other cities, so they were probably really large and major centers.

"The three largest"? I think five would be nice.

I've heard rumours about something outside of the Anglosphere but I just put them down to old wives' tales.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom