[RD] Daily Graphs and Charts

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's hard to determine whether Poland has Germanium or Niobium deposits. Maybe I'm just blind though. I'm also disappointed there is no Polonium in Poland and no Germanium in Germany.

I am not seeing a symbol for Polonium there :) Poland has Germanium (or Niobium, you are right) and Gallium, France has Germanium, and Germany has Indium.

Any element with an atomic number higher than 92 (i.e. the trans-uranic elements) does not exist in nature and needs to be synthesised. Naturally, the first two are Neptunium and Plutonium.

Any element with an atomic number higher than 92 (i.e. the trans-uranic elements) does not exist in nature and needs to be synthesised. Naturally, the first two are Neptunium and Plutonium.

The truth of that statement depends on how you define "exist" and "nature". Trace amounts of plutonium from natural processes can be found on earth, it is just not very much. And who knows which elements exist (very briefly) in supernovas?

So you do not necessarily need to synthesize those elements (is probably still much cheaper than trying to filter them).

Fair enough.

How does the Republic of Ireland (IRL) manage to have such a low tax rate, while having a national health service and apparently a european style welfare state?

How does the Republic of Ireland (IRL) manage to have such a low tax rate, while having a national health service and apparently a european style welfare state?

I'm guessing crime, poverty, and military spending are low. Those make up a sizable part of a government's budget.

I'm guessing crime, poverty, and military spending are low. Those make up a sizable part of a government's budget.
I am not sure that quite adds up. In milatry spending they are very much in the bottom of the scale, at 0.4% of GDP, but that is only about 1% of the illustrated different. They seem pretty much in the middle on crime and poverty, so that does not make up the difference.
Spoiler :

Spending on defence by EU country

People_at_risk_of_poverty_or_social_exclusion

Severely_materially_deprived_people

Homicides_%_average_per_year

Police numbers

They have low tax rates to attract a lot of foreign investment. It was recently in the news where the EU was trying to change some of ireland's tax laws, wanted to fine apple etc. I don't remember specifics.

They have low tax rates to attract a lot of foreign investment. It was recently in the news where the EU was trying to change some of ireland's tax laws, wanted to fine apple etc. I don't remember specifics.
Yeah they have a super low tax in order to attract American and EU businesses to set up their 'headquarters' there to take advantage of the low tax. They manage to attract a ton of large multinational firms that use it as a tax haven and that brings in a lot of revenue for them despite the low rate. Civver is right, they are in hot water over this practice.

Their business taxes are super low to attract companies to set up shop there. But they are also a part of the EU, which means funding for the things you mention.

I think that's what explains it anyway, but don't take it as gospel

edit: xxxxxpost

We made a decision many years ago to trade off low corporate income tax rates for employment and it has been very successful.

Foreign multinationals were attracted by the low rates and in turn created lots of jobs.

Public services are paid for by higher taxes on workers - I pay about 50% of any extra euro I earn in tax.

The other thing that outsiders wouldn't particularly notice is that we have a young and growing population so pension spending etc isn't as big a problem for us as others.

The EU have tried and failed to target our tax regime many times. Tax is still a national competence.

The EU are actually responsible for the current low tax rate ironically. There used to be two tax rates for companies - a standard one for local business and a lower one for exporters. The EEC said the different rates was unfair and thought we would eliminate the low rate. Our response instead was to move to a single low rate of tax for all companies.

The combination of the low tax and multinational jobs became a virtuous circle moving Ireland from being a rural backwater with no industry to a high tech exporting country.

As an example where I am from manufactures half of the world's stents and is a centre for their research and development. This industry or technology didn't exist thirty years ago.

Erm... you should understand that this is all intentional?
The EU is gifting you a competetive advantage that under any other circumstance would be outrageous.
Largely because we appreciate that your geographic position is an impediment that has to be properly compensated.
To a lesser degree also to screw with England.
Because England.
There is no gift - we created our own advantage. Our tax policy is older than the treaty of Rome.

Export sales relief was introduced in the fifties - this had to be removed as it was deemed unfair by the EEC.
It was replaced with the low manufacturing rate in 1980 - this had to be removed as it was deemed unfair by the EEC.
Our current low tax rate was introduced in the nineties and has been criticised by many but is pretty solidly based and backed up by a veto.

Many tried to kick us when our economy was down - trying to make corporate tax change a condition of the bailout. France/Sarkozy in particular.

The current approach to attack it is the common consolidated tax base - trying to create a framework on allocating where profits are earned. It could backfire if given the amount of work, value added, investment and r&d done here the profits are still judged to be earned here.

I do also think that the EU is both pro-actively enabling as allowing the catch up of more underdeveloped/rural areas/countries, not only by the visible net funding. But it is not "correct" to speak loud about it.
At the moment for example Poland was freed, they had their own active policies to make use of their very low labor cost, by exporting labor (by plumbers), by encouraging foreign investments to be part of the European suply chain with low labor cost, by lowering their currency strongly during the financial crisis, to stay attractive and prevent that Germany would source back too much to the homeland (Italy and other euro countries used as overflow capacity for the German industry suffered much harder).
etc, etc.

A strong federalist thinker like Verhofstadt, is realistic enough, that he cannot really start with more domestic federalism, before the EU members have reached a high enough level of competitiveness. A high enough base level by all.

With the popularity of hookup apps like Tinder and Grindr, finding casual sex partners has never been easier, but the increasing convenience of enjoying one-nighters has come with a cost: STD rates are surging in the U.S. like never before. Check out the full details and study below.

In alarming news for sexually active singles, CDC reports found that STD rates rose again in 2016, reaching an all-time high by topping 2015 figures, which previously stood as the worst year for STDs in the U.S. The problem is so bad that many experts are labeling the surge in STD rates a national epidemic.

In order to keep you informed about which areas pose the greatest risk, we�ve compiled a nationwide ranking of states by the frequency of STD infection. This report was created by taking the CDC data on the rate of incidents per 100k residents for the two most common STDs, gonorrhea and chlamydia, and calculating a weighted average between the two. The results may surprise you.

Compared to our 2016 rankings, perhaps the biggest story of the 2016 CDC data is the increase in reported gonorrhea cases. The top ten worst states all experienced a rise in the rate of gonorrhea per 100k residents. In Alaska (#1), Mississippi (#2) and Georgia (#4), the rate rose by more than 40 per 100k, enough for Alaska to maintain its status as the worst state in U.S. for STDs, and for the latter two states to move up several positions in the rankings. The across-the-board increase in gonorrhea infection is startling, and many experts attribute it to the rising prevalence of antibiotic-resistant strains of the disease.

Chlamydia rates also rose in most states, and remains the most common STD in the nation, which is often attributed to the fact that most people infected do not experience symptoms.

Some states were hit hard in 2016: Delaware�s (#9) rate of chlamydia infection increased by over 60 per 100k, enough to bring it into the top ten. Mississippi�s infection rate jumped by a whopping 91.9 per 100k, pushing it up to #2 overall.

Other states fared better, including North Carolina (#7), Louisiana (#2) and New Mexico (#5) which all experienced a decrease in chlamydia infections per 100k.

The state moving up the highest in the rankings is Maryland, jumping up six spots from #24 to #18, owing to significantly elevated rates of both gonorrhea and chlamydia. Next is Delaware, climbing five spots from #14 to #9. There is a four-way tie between Georgia (#4), Indiana (#23), Virginia (#25) and North Dakota (#26) for third greatest increase as they all moved up three places in the rankings.

Hawaii experienced the greatest drop in the rankings, falling eight spots from #20 to #28 due to a decrease in the chlamydia rate per 100k residents. Three states–Texas (#16), Tennessee (#22), and Michigan (#27)–fell four spots each, while three others–North Carolina (#6), Colorado (#30), Vermont (#50)–went down three spots.

Significantly, thirty states either maintained their previous position or only moved one place in the overall rankings.

http://backgroundchecks.org/these-are-the-most-sexually-diseased-states-in-the-us.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom