Do you enjoy watching American football?

Do you enjoy watching American football?

• Total voters
Meh it was over at two and a half when larry boy got that goal, they just got that one to early....if only it had been fifteen more seconds. Did you notice to that the refs were really really anti-cardinals until the fourth? Definately a good game though, the best superbowl game in years I think.

I didn't watch every second of the game, but they twice scrutinized the Steelers's goal attempts and denied the Steelers, so IDK. Seemed fair to me.

What a great game. As usual, there were a couple of dubious calls, but that is to be expected in this sport (much like soccer BTW). The big play of the game has to be the 100-yard interception return at the end of the first half with no time left. That single play is likely going to be discussed for decades.

I have trouble understanding this complaint. Most of the time the play stops because the ball or the ball carrier was downed. The other times play stops is for a rules infraction. Granted, some of the rules are a bit on the technical side, but it's pretty easy to understand.

The lack of flow (and not an inability to understand why the game stops) is what a lot of people are complaining about here.

I had a couple people over last night to watch the game.. and.. the last 20 minutes or so were exciting (not last 20 in game time, last 20 in real time)..

but for most of the rest of it I was pretty bored.

It was a good game. I was rooting for the Cardinals because Pittsburgh does not really need a SIXTH Super bowl title, but both teams played well and the Cards can walk out of it with their heads high.

When Warner 'fumbled' the ball?

I didn't watch every second of the game, but they twice scrutinized the Steelers's goal attempts and denied the Steelers, so IDK. Seemed fair to me.

The only thing I thought was unfair was the personal foul they called on a guy who sacked Roethslisberger after he threw the ball away. The guy was already in mid-air at that point, it's hard to stop a tackle once you've started it.

But boy were the Cards hurt by penalties. That was ridiculous, I think Warner should be pretty mad at them.

I hate the Steelers. I'll never forgive them and their crooked ref from philadelphia for Super Bowl XV. (edit, I mean XL... 40)

The only thing I thought was unfair was the personal foul they called on a guy who sacked Roethslisberger after he threw the ball away. The guy was already in mid-air at that point, it's hard to stop a tackle once you've started it.

Very lousy call. But I think the pitts rejected TD was actually a TD. I think it was denied because it resembled the one in Super Bowl XV too much, which really was a black eye for officiating.

That said, it was a historic game. That last TD was amazing, as was the interception return for a TD.

Football seems to be a sport kind of designed after the civil war I think, and I think that is why it is popular in the US. They line up like musket men and charge each other, trying to take ground, and each play is like a battle. Some are standoffs, some are small victories, and some are routs. Its also why I think they call it "the line of scrimmage".

Soccer and Rugby just don't have that strategic look to them... and sports are really about entertainment.

There is no doubt rugby is an extremely rough sport. It is certainly more grueling than American football, because there aren't the constant breaks. I would say rugby is probably the tougher sport.
That being said, the hits in American football are harder. The players are fresh and running at top speed, full acceleration; also, gridiron players are usually larger. You have guys like Mario Williams at 6'6", 300 lbs, who runs a 4.3 second 40 yard dash, has a 40" vertical leap, and does insane weight lifting like squatting over 900 lbs, benching 225 lbs ~35 times.
Actually the pads allow gridiron players to hit harder. Tacklers can
turn their bodies into missiles, leading with their padded shoulder or helmet (which is illegal) with reckless abandon.
Even with helmets concussions are fairly common. Every 2 years or so a player suffers a serious spinal cord injury. If gridiron players played the same way without pads I would imagine their would be several fatalities and crippling injuries every year.

Yes I am surprised that American football do not use the union rule of arms must be used in the tackle.
Sadly we get too many spinal injuries in union from collapsed scrums.
One thing I like about union is that there is a position for every body shape from props built like bookends, to skinny backs who take an hour with their makeup before a game.

Soccer and Rugby just don't have that strategic look to them... and sports are really about entertainment.

Spoken like an American, or someone who doesn't really understand either game. The tactics in soccer are involved, you should hear the post match discussions, the set piece discussions and all the rest. And Rugby is American football without the armour, strategy in that is paramount also.

You obviously Do not understand Cricket. Cricket is a very interesting game to watch, even the longest form of the game, test matches, which last up to five days.

I do not like Gridiron, since as many people say that there are just too much interruptions that do not flow with the general play. At least with baseball you know why they have breaks since it is the change of innings, which is an important part of the game, but all the stoppages in Gridiron are just unnecessary. The actual game time is about an hour, but the game normally lasts 3 hour and it is basically focused on the commentators telling stories to fill the gaps in play.

Do Aussie wicketkeepers understand the laws of cricket :D

Spoken like an American, or someone who doesn't really understand either game. The tactics in soccer are involved, you should hear the post match discussions, the set piece discussions and all the rest. And Rugby is American football without the armour, strategy in that is paramount also.

Yeah. But look at soccer. I've seen both soccer and rugby and Australian rules footnball, and I am sure they are full of strategy, just like basketball. But just from looking at them, they look very disorganized. Football is the only one you can look at and think of Napoleonic armies plotting, then fielding, then having a pitched battle.

Only in football is almost every play given ample time to think out and discuss.

People from Philly and Pittsburgh never get along so i could see that happening...:mischief:

I hate football. Slow and boring.

Alright huddle huddle....alright lets run this play...alright everyone line up....alright....ready...set.....whistle....false start....ohhh....alright....everyone huddle....alright, ready....hang on time out....k lets go to commercial...

Yeah. But look at soccer. I've seen both soccer and rugby and Australian rules footnball, and I am sure they are full of strategy, just like basketball. But just from looking at them, they look very disorganized. Football is the only one you can look at and think of Napoleonic armies plotting, then fielding, then having a pitched battle.

Only in football is almost every play given ample time to think out and discuss.

Personally I think that's its biggest problem but there you go.

Neomega, you did hit on one of the main differences between North American sports and.. the rest.

North American sports are somewhat designed around the idea of "TV entertainment". The main goal in north american sports is to create a package that generates the highest amount of TV revenue possible... while adhering to a somewhat flexible idea of what the sport in question actually is. The result is a lot of breaks and a lot of commercials.

In other sports, such as soccer (maybe especially soccer), the sport comes first, and the idea of creating an "entertaining tv package that will make money" comes second. So, soccer is what it is, people who like it will watch it, people who don't - won't, and the advertisers and everybody else is goign to have to work around that.. instead of the other way around.

Yeah. But look at soccer. I've seen both soccer and rugby and Australian rules footnball, and I am sure they are full of strategy, just like basketball. But just from looking at them, they look very disorganized.

That's because in american football you're used to a clean slate for every single play. Everyone comes back to their starting positions - and you start from scratch..

In soccer the tactics are a lot more dynamic - and you don't really have time to sit down and think about "the next play". The "next play" is happening right now and you have to continually readjust your assessment of the game as things gradually change.

North American sports are somewhat designed around the idea of "TV entertainment". The main goal in north american sports is to create a package that generates the highest amount of TV revenue possible... while adhering to a somewhat flexible idea of what the sport in question actually is. The result is a lot of breaks and a lot of commercials.
Bingo. It's almost enough for me to hate it. :lol:

And it's really obnoxious at live games where you don't have the time or the resources to go to the bathroom, or visit the fridge, or check out other games on other channels as you can at home. Snooze time...

BTW, I have never heard anyone claim that there aren't tactics in soccer.
Ever since US TV started covering the World Cup, I have come to love this sport. I am so happy the US can now beat most developing countries it plays. It used to be so embarrassing...

Top Bottom