What TV Shows Are You Watching? The 9th Is - Excuse Me - A Damn Fine Cup Of Coffee

The Gentleman on Netflix starts off with a bang! A second son of an English Duke inherits the estate over his older brother. Alas, dear old dad was not quite what folks thought he he was.
When my wife put this show on, I started watching it and said to her... "this really reminds me of a movie we watched years back starring Matthew McConahay as a gangster and Colin Farrell as a boxing coach" :mischief: ... I thought it was just a coincidence and/or copycatting :lol: :blush:

Silly me... TIL that the show The Gentleman is actually based on the same premise/story of the movie The Gentlemen (2019). *facepalm*Duh!:cringe:

When my wife put this show on, I started watching it and said to her... "this really reminds me of a movie we watched years back starring Matthew McConahay as a gangster and Colin Farrell as a boxing coach" :mischief: ... I thought it was just a coincidence and/or copycatting :lol: :blush:

Silly me... TIL that the show The Gentleman is actually based on the same premise/story of the movie The Gentlemen (2019). *facepalm*Duh!:cringe:
Ah…did not make the connection. I did enjoy that movie but have not teied the show yet

Season 5 of Fargo, has been very fun so far. I'm through Epi 6. Epi 5 was fantastic. The exchange between Jennifer Jason Leigh and John Hamm's characters was hilarious. (So you want to be a baby! That look on Roy's face and inability to respond. I hope this Season closes out far better than Season 4. If so, Season 5 could put in a good argument for the best season against Season 2, though that will be very difficult.

Shogun is holding strong though not much for action the past couple of episodes, including last night. Things are playing out like a game of chess here with things the audience can only guess at as far as motivations and deceptions. (I wonder if they went too far in that direction, leaving most too confused) I don't know the original story, but the Anjin (John) is turning out to be more side character or pawn in this story. He has fallen to the background for the most part.

The Rookie, s6 e6

Plot spoiler.
Spoiler :
I was never really a big fan of "Chenford." There was something about the two of them that felt almost more like siblings than romantic partners. Still, Tim abruptly dumping Lucy felt strange. I didn't really understand it.
otoh, Nyla/Mekia Cox looks [flipping] hot with that long hair. I almost felt bad for that guy at the shooting range. I'd have fallen for her b.s. like a ton of bricks too, even if I suspected she might just be messing with me. :lol:

Pic - not a plot spoiler, but kind of an 'experience spoiler', I guess. :love:
(EDIT: This 'metal singer' outfit is kinda working for me, too, although I don't think that's what she was wearing in the gun-range scene.)
Spoiler :

Last edited:
Fargo Season 5 finished last night. Overall, a very satisfying and entertaining season. Highly recommended. The most Fargo-est season since Season 1, though I still rate Season 2 as the best. Several direct nods to the movie that, if a fan of the movie, you should catch.

Fallout series opening scene was handled well. Regardless of anything else, the show has good budget/production value and it shows ^^
Agree, exceptional production values, and world-building. Really feels like Fallout. Very bingy type of show. I only played the first game (of the new series), but I don't remember Ghouls having that sort of transition state or, in the case of Goggins' character, some kind of immortality. It is interesting though. Ghouls always seemed like sympathetic characters in the game, but then much of that series I did not play.

Ella Purnell has been great so far. Some interesting cameos in the first couple of epis like Mykelti Williamson (Forest Gump), Michael Rappapport, and you could almost classify Michael Emerson's character as one. . I suspect there will be more.

Yeah, the opener was quite good.

Maximus is the one character I'm having trouble figuring out here. I'm going with he is a good guy for now, even though he seems a bit shady in some respects.

Last edited:
First ep of Fallout: It hasn't grabbed me by the [lapels] yet, but more than good enough to keep watching.

Spoiler :
I'm not in love with any of the main characters yet, and I think it's partly because they're all separated. I frequently find that frustrating. The interactions between the characters are important to me. I was thinking about the first episode of The Last of Us, mainly because they're both game adaptations, but I was also thinking about how much more satisfying that one was. I don't really have a good sense of Lucy as a character. She feels like a comedian doing an extended bit in a sketch-show. None of the people in the vault felt like real people, frankly. Their performances felt almost parodic, a little tongue-in-cheek. It felt like the scenes in Galaxy Quest where the actors are playing their characters, before they drop the act. Maybe that's deliberate. (If so, I guess that makes me the Thermians, thinking that what I'm seeing is genuine. :lol: ) Maybe that's why they dropped this series all at once. Maybe we're supposed to watch it all at once, more or less. Maybe the point of the show is that life in the vault isn't 'real' and the people there were supposed to feel inauthentic. Maybe, for example, everyone in the vault was an Institute-style synth; or they were all being secretly medicated with some kind of mood-stabilizer, which will slowly wear off for Lucy, because she's outside. We'll see.

First ep of Fallout: It hasn't grabbed me by the [lapels] yet, but more than good enough to keep watching.

Spoiler :
I'm not in love with any of the main characters yet, and I think it's partly because they're all separated. I frequently find that frustrating. The interactions between the characters are important to me. I was thinking about the first episode of The Last of Us, mainly because they're both game adaptations, but I was also thinking about how much more satisfying that one was. I don't really have a good sense of Lucy as a character. She feels like a comedian doing an extended bit in a sketch-show. None of the people in the vault felt like real people, frankly. Their performances felt almost parodic, a little tongue-in-cheek. It felt like the scenes in Galaxy Quest where the actors are playing their characters, before they drop the act. Maybe that's deliberate. (If so, I guess that makes me the Thermians, thinking that what I'm seeing is genuine. :lol: ) Maybe that's why they dropped this series all at once. Maybe we're supposed to watch it all at once, more or less. Maybe the point of the show is that life in the vault isn't 'real' and the people there were supposed to feel inauthentic. Maybe, for example, everyone in the vault was an Institute-style synth; or they were all being secretly medicated with some kind of mood-stabilizer, which will slowly wear off for Lucy, because she's outside. We'll see.
Pretty good synopsis of the first episode, which primarily served as:

Spoiler :
Character Introductions, which was presented quite literally throughout the episode. I do think how the vault dwellers are presented is purposeful in some respects to delineate them from the world outside, which is obviously very very different. Vault dwellers having essentially created their own society over 200 years, with a certain naivety to their personas. I think it makes for a nice contrast to the outside world, especially as things move along. (The show is considered a comedy)

Things pick up in Epi 2. I thought Epi 4 was really quite good. You see Lucy(Purnell) evolve as a character. Some great funny moments too.

Last edited:
Apple TV+ and Legendary Entertainment have announced a deal for 'multiple' streaming series in the American Godzilla franchise, including a 2nd season of Monarch. No details yet, but sure, I'm game for more.

So is there any actual high-tech faction in this Fallout show? Or just a beefed up BOS, who are still another barbarian colony in the game.
Maybe Bethesda, in its infinite greed, wanted to pretend the first two games never existed, so no Enclave.

So is there any actual high-tech faction in this Fallout show? Or just a beefed up BOS, who are still another barbarian colony in the game.
Maybe Bethesda, in its infinite greed, wanted to pretend the first two games never existed, so no Enclave.
They probably want to save the Enclave for later.

No, the tech is pre-war, but like a retro 50’s alternate timeline level tech, i.e., this games 50s imagines a more advanced tech but stlil that 50’s style. (Ugh that is not easy to explain)

Enjoying epi 5 now

No, the tech is pre-war, but like a retro 50’s alternate timeline level tech, i.e., this games 50s imagines a more advanced tech but stlil that 50’s style. (Ugh that is not easy to explain)
It's like what the 1950's thought the future would look like

Isn't the line (from the trailers) "Stand down, or be cut down" said by Enclave mecha'd soldiers? Bos here does look like a version of that - they have an airship - and they aren't even the east coast (second world-ish) Bos but the third world Bos ^^

It's like what the 1950's thought the future would look like
Yup, this makes much more sense. Actually, in later episodes, there are some timelines spelled out for us that made me realize all this did not originate when I thought it did.

Spoiler I can no maths :
Lucy is in a vault in epi 7, I think. She is snooping around and finds what appears to be a meeting room with some charts and poster boards. One of them has a timeline drawn out from when Shady Sands was started to when it was destroyed which puts the present day to around 2295 AD or thereabouts. Given 200 years since the bombs, I think this is an imagined future from the 50's perspective at around 2050-70 AD or thereabouts.

This season was very very good. I binged the rest last night. Definitely excited for more and I don't see any reason why this won't be a success for Amazon. A couple of more cameos in later episodes, including a quite surprising one.

Last edited:
Watching the rest of Fallout ep1.
The main actress is really likeable.
And it's Fallout, this may be some of us 20 years from now ^^

edit: the Bos soldier rise, on the other hand, is a bit too convenient.
Yup. I just finished watching season 1, all 8 episodes.

I really enjoyed Fallout a lot. Now I have to go play Fallout on my PC or PS4. Haha! :lol:

Edit: I will give this advice out to those who haven't watched the series. To truly enjoy it you must treat this T.V. show as you would if you were playing a story driven R.P.G. Or if you were actually playing Fallout on your gaming device of choice. ;)

Top Bottom