What TV Shows Are You Watching? 8: Streaming Is the New Cable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Almost all films and tv-series that tell the viewers, that they are based on true events or real/historical characters, are predominantly fabrications of the screenwriters ;)

There are basically two sub-threads to the above:
- filling in the blanks, because the screenwriter does not know what happened between - as an example, two real life characters having a conversation between them alone.
- replacing factual events, quotes etc with your own, effectively rewriting historical facts. Perhaps to create drama, character development or compress a timeline for narrative reasons.

My most despised example of both, is the hit film Bohemian Rhapsody, which distorts and falsifies so many details about Queen's origins, the making of their songs, their tours and especially Freddie Mercury's personal life. It is especially monstrous, because Brian May and Roger Taylor approved the script, fully aware that the portrayal it paints of Freddie Mercury, their friend, is mostly a pr fabrication and simply not true. John Deacon had no involvement with the film whatsoever.

Filling in the blanks is to some degree acceptable and necessary, its the wholesale invention done on the assumption that the average person won't notice that annoys me.

I watched Gen V last night - first 3 epis. It's a spin-off of The Boys. It is set at a supe university. I was afraid it would be a bit too YA for me but turns out it is pretty good and just about as subversive as its parent show. Maybe not quite as funny - a bit more serious - but intriguing nonetheless. The lead actress - very pretty - has one of the most bizarre powers I've seen, and its manifestation is a horror. Most of the cast are unknowns - to me - but I sense a coupla the young actresses here are destined for greater things. The first epi has one of the most bizarre sex scenes - with CGI - I've ever seen. Clancy Brown is in the show, and some brief appearances by a couple of the Seven. If you are not already into The Boys though, I doubt you will like this show. However, if you are a fan of that show then I think you may very well like Gen V.

The writer of Rome knew it was going to be cancelled partway through the second series (possibly because it was so expensive), which is why it gallops through 10-15 years of history to wrap up the various stories without even bothering to change the child actors. The Battle of Philippi was originally intended to be the Season 2 ender, rather than merely halfway through.

I am, particularly in this show. Besides nailing her role, she has a very unique, powerful and sultry voice, and on top of that, as @EgonSpengler pointed out a long while back, the wardrobe they've put together for her is over-the-top stunning. Like a combination of the Padme wardrobe in the Star Wars PT and Lady Danbury's wardrobe in Bridgerton... with each outfit and accessories more spectacular that the last. She is a great character in the show.
The first work I saw her in was House of Sand and Fog, twenty years ago, and she was brilliant.
Watching The Empress about Franz Josef and Sissi on Netflix and I must say the royal family got off lightly in The Crown. Much of the Empress is complete and utter fantasy.
I'd recommend the film Mayerling (1936), directed by Anatole Litvak and starring Charles Boyer as Prince Rudolph.

Watched the two most recent episodes of Lower Decks. Enjoyed the Orion episode, fell asleep several times during the T'Lan/Betazoid episode. The Betazoids were absolutely obnoxious and sad -- it's like they chose to take one part of Lwaxana Troi's personality (her flirtatiousness and love of a good time), make it the sole attribute of three entire characters, and amp it up to 11. Also, Vulcans are touch telepaths. They can't project emotions onto people. Harrumph, I say, harrumph.

What about the TNG episode with Sarek?

Hmm....good point. I'd forgotten that one. Didn't he have some disease that was making it happen, though?

Filling in the blanks is to some degree acceptable and necessary, its the wholesale invention done on the assumption that the average person won't notice that annoys me.

Yes, I agree.

My favorite 'biopic' of all time, Milos Forman's Amadeus, is a fictitious plot but neither the film or the stage play it was based on, claimed to be rooted in reality. Interestingly enough, its depiction of Mozart as a person is mostly historically accurate and the chronology of his musical works in the film, is also mostly accurate. Mozart did lose his fortune due to a lavish lifestyle and bad decisions, he had many quarrels with his wife over money, he had a vulgar sense of humor, a high pitch laugh and he despised the nobles and ruling class. But Salieri didn't kill him; Salieri is actually done the most disservice by the film, as the real life composer was one of Mozart's true friends to his death and did much charity work for people with little means for free.

Last edited:
1696582981462.png

Damn it. Everyone's now old in Beavis and Butthead.
At least Beavis kept his hair.

Watched Lower Deck's "Ferengi" episode. Not a fan of the premise (the Ferengi are going to become federation blandwashed and boring), but the bit on Mariner was good. Tolerable episode on the whole. Nice hearing the dabo wheel sounds, as well as Rom and Leeta's actors.

I started watching Copenhagen Cowboy and it is not what I expected. The premise is interesting. Netflix. Danish.

Spoiler :
It is looking to be more "horror" than "thrilling". I am not a fan of perpetually dark cinematography. The director has a thing about 360 degree pans that adds to the very slow pace of the show. The dialog is slim with lots of moody pauses. The best parts happen when background music is added to add some life. I'm not sure that the appearance of vampires will add to the story. We'll see. That all said, I am curious about how Miu's story unfolds and will push along.

I started watching Copenhagen Cowboy and it is not what I expected. The premise is interesting. Netflix. Danish.

Spoiler :
It is looking to be more "horror" than "thrilling". I am not a fan of perpetually dark cinematography. The director has a thing about 360 degree pans that adds to the very slow pace of the show. The dialog is slim with lots of moody pauses. The best parts happen when background music is added to add some life. I'm not sure that the appearance of vampires will add to the story. We'll see. That all said, I am curious about how Miu's story unfolds and will push along.
What is it actually about? I watch lotsa Skandi stuff on Netflix

edit: This Brit show from 2011 just popped up on Prime with Jason Isaacs. Always love to be surprised by an older show I've never heard of. This one is called Case Histories and set in Scotland - lotsa good cinematography...I think Edinburgh, but not sure. It's basically a gumshow show but a bit quirky with music that I don't think suits it.

Miu is a creature (human) who brings luck to her owners and has been bought and sold over time; that may or may not be exactly true, nor her humanity.

Interesting...Nicolas Winding Refn is one of the creators

The first episode sets the tone for what follows. I'm halfway through E 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom