1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you like bro-country? Does anyone?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by jackelgull, Feb 11, 2015.

?

Do you like Bro Country

1. I love it!

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  2. Worst thing to happen to country music ever

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  3. I like it

3 vote(s)
    17.6%
  4. not a big fan

5 vote(s)
    29.4%
  5. Don't have any feelings/ not an american

6 vote(s)
    35.3%
  1. jackelgull

jackelgull An aberration of nature

Never mind, my eyes are playing tricks on me.

2. Akka

Akka Moody old mage.

Yep. I don't see anything "country" in this. It's just pop (with a caricatural rap-style clip with hypersexualized bombshells in the background).

3. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

What I find weird is that country music, whether bona fide country, or "country" (like this) can never seem to get away from having lyrics all about women and/or trucks. Not even hip-hop is that focused on butts or any other subject matter - so what gives?

4. Traitorfish

Traitorfish The Tighnahulish Kid

Eh? Plenty of country is about other stuff. "Folsom Prison Blues" is maybe the most well-known country song in the world, and it's not about women or trucks.

If anything, the stereotypical country song is about whiskey and depression.

5. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Slippin' Jimmy Supporter

The bro country formula includes as many as possible of the following as soon as possible in the song (like a rodeo, all of them in 8 seconds):

Truck, girl, beer and/or liquor (including moonshine), farm equipment, mud, dust, some sort of rural setting (like a river), jeans, boots, guns, Jesus, critters, county line, the bro's financial situation, Friday/Saturday night,and maybe invoke the troops

Pretty much Creed with a banjo or Nickleback with a fiddle.

6. jackelgull

Don't forget parties, lots and lots of parties.

Basically if there's one unifying theme among these country bros, it's that they're here for a good time and not a long time (That last part is my wishful thinking).

7. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Fair enough - I was basing what I said purely on what I've heard from the random country songs I heard. And for some reason whenever a country song comes on and I'm around, it's either about women.. or trucks.. or both. 0 exceptions. Anecdotal, but it almost had me convinced.

8. jackelgull

When did you listen? If it was anywhere after 2013, chances are good you were listening to a bro country song. If before, then well, country's always had its stupid side.

9. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Like, in the last 10 years, random country coming at me from random directions. All the lyrics I hear seem to be a variation of this:

"I got my girl, I got my truck, that deep red tint, throwing my tires in the back, makin' me sandwiches while I put on my cowboy hat", etc.

I guess I'm referring to only country that comes on the radio, or on TV in "Check out our country music station" commercials.

10. Akka

Akka Moody old mage.

I must have listened to much older country then (admitedly, I'm no expert on the genre), because for me, country's lyrics are more about wanderers, cow-boys, bad boys, guns and sometimes a certain amount of redneckedness.

11. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

Best country, in my view:

Link to video.

('murder ballad' subset, as noted in an earlier post. Basically it is a song about a murder).

Love the lyrics there too ^^

12. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

My dad used to listen to Leonard Cohen, and I used to think that that is country. But I don't think it is? Maybe I'm wrong. Cohen is awesome, whether it's country or not.

My parents were never into this new country stuff either - I agree that "older country" seems to focus around other subjects.. but all the stuff I keep coming in contact with seems to be this "new" country, and it all seems to be exactly the same.

13. Akka

Akka Moody old mage.

Yeah but then, as we said above, how exactly does this pop-like song can be considered "country" ? It doesn't have the feel, the sound or the appearance.

THAT is a country song :

Link to video.

14. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

An error occurred, please try again later. - said my truuuuck, and my girl.

edit: fixed. Now this is the sort of country I'd support the kids getting into - none of this sexist & truckist "new country" nonsense

Shrug, it's got guys in cowboy hats singing about girls and truks (I think).

15. jackelgull

Well, if it were in my power to define country, Cruise remix wouldn't count, but apparently to the people who define country it does count.

16. Farm Boy

Farm Boy The trees are actually quite lovely.

Huh, they've named this something new again. This started before Garth Brooks, but people were saying the same thing about Garth Brooks.

I guess I'll glom onto Hygro a little. I don't mind Hip Hop, so the beats don't bother me. I like country vocals so I like that too. I *almost* never actually bother to listen to the lyrics of a song, so I can probably tolerate this genre for a while and actually enjoy it. But if it goes on very long I'm going to get bored and put on something I like better, like Johnny Cash or anything from O'Brother Where Art Thou, or electronica, or or or. The OP linked song is pretty vapid.

17. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

It's lowest common denominator music (the video in the OP, not country music) . "top 40 stuff". "Vapid" is a good word for it.

18. Traitorfish

Traitorfish The Tighnahulish Kid

In fairness, Top 40 music doesn't have to be vapid. It largely is, no argument there, but it doesn't have to be.

19. NetGear

NetGear King

Well most songs in general are about love/girl/guy, so im half ok with country songs being mostly about trucks and girls.

20. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Maybe in the future, when trucks have intelligent AI on board, country music is going to be about trucks falling in love with truck girls?