Does Race exist?

Genius question, maybe it somehow connected in a way :lol:
Do you think it is obvious? Seems to me many assumptions need to be made to connect one to the other

Do you think it is obvious? Seems to me many assumptions need to be made to connect one to the other

It must not be coming out from nowhere, there should be a good reason behind the coincide-ntal coincidence

The fact that immigrant are coming from either a nation, a culture, a religion or a skin colour that is racialized upon is definitely a determining factors isn't it?

Cant DNA researchers identify the race of people by their genetic codes?

This is settled already with my discussion with Truthy, your question is comparable with "can't our eyes differentiates the color of people by their skin's color?' the answer of this question doesn't proves anything in regards to social classification of human based on their skin color.

So do the genetic group classification are not comparable in any level of reality with race in a sociocultural sense. Both are not related.

Please pay more attention!

This is settled already with my discussion with Truthy, your question is comparable with "can't our eyes differentiates the color of people by their skin's color?' the answer of this question doesn't proves anything in regards to social classification of human based on their skin color.

So do the genetic group classification are not comparable in any level of reality with race in a sociocultural sense. Both are not related.

isn't race more than just skin color?

isn't race more than just skin color?

Is it?

It is silly, but the point being is, is race even a valid socio-cultural classification of human?

The fact that human can be classify by their height, their eyes color, their skin color, their genetic group, doesn't justify that.

Yeah, I will say that part of the cognitive divide is the ability to separate whether 'race' is more than just a skin colour. I'm still trying to figure out the labeling system I'd used to distinguish people of French, German, Vietnamese, and Korean heritage. Obviously I can divide that into two groups that makes some type of real 'sense'. I'm just not sure what to use other than " West European" and "East Asian".

I think it's obviously more than just skin colour.

It seems to be a cultural baggage that's foisted upon someone based on the color of their skin. That baggage will be somewhat location specific.

If people disagree about the existence of race they probably agree tribalism and ethnicity are real. So what is the next step up or do we jump from ethnicity to the human race? Looks to me like there is at least one more set of groups squeezed in there representing related ethnicities.

Going by focus on race, some extraterrestrial would think that everyone of the same "race" does fine with the rest of that subset.
Differences (as a type; ie ability to name a difference) don't change, and always will lead to issues. Arbitrarily trying to cancel one larger subset - even if it was possible - would leave other subsets intact.

In a way it is like looking at a machine with hundreds of buttons and an ominous message flashing on the screen. Sure, you can try pressing buttons to stop it, but maybe only a combination of thousands of buttons (many repeating) pressed in exact sequence would have an effect. Perhaps that is also why that message has been on the screen since forever.

If people disagree about the existence of race they probably agree tribalism and ethnicity are real.

Culture is a product of men, it's a dynamic variable and it has loose classification and adaptable.

While race is something that you are born into, it's static and generalizing in nature. People may finds the concept of race appealing if they born into a certain privilege within that arbitrary classification, it's like a build in advantage, they get backed up statistically, while the pseudo science makes some rationalization, people can always gives a pat in their back, boost up some confidence, or better chance in life and perception in general.

OTOH for the people of color this means they are born into a statistical misfortune. Statistic said they are not collectively good, this "reality" get empowered further with "scientific" based rationalization, it is like you born into an original sin that only carried by specific group, your group, you can do nothing about it.

Last edited:
Ease (and cost) of replaceability is the biggest determining factor of wages.
Not the value added.

Not really. That is a function of bargaining power, which is related to your ability to be replaced and who owns the capital.
This is why you have unions, so that workers can't be "just replaced", at least not easily. I guess this goes deep into the specifics, but reason why many workers in industries which do produce a lot of value, have been able to negotiate such good wages is precisely because they produce value and can't be replaced. Then again, that's in Finland, maybe it's different in other countries. Even if your union laws are radically different, surely you have to admit that value added at least has some effect on wages, even if it obviously isn't the only factor?

In any case, in general, since a lot of immigrants are uneducated, that increases low skill workforce and therefore puts a downward pressure on wages (low skill workers tend to be more replaceable when there are more of them). That's exactly why big parts of the working class have switched to supporting "right-wing populists", because progressives have been working against their interests for years.

It must not be coming out from nowhere, there should be a good reason behind the coincide-ntal coincidence

The fact that immigrant are coming from either a nation, a culture, a religion or a skin colour that is racialized upon is definitely a determining factors isn't it?

no, I don't think that "race" and "racism" mean the same thing

And women!

:clap: nice one you got me, I owe you some walnuts and cookies

no, I don't think that "race" and "racism" mean the same thing

Yes they are different but correlated, imagine that you are a teacher, what good can it bring if you classify the students between the blue eyes and the brown eyes, then you try to classify further to know which group get the higher average mark.

You may argue there are no discrimination within the classification process but the clear statement already made that one group born to have higher average intelligent than the other group. People playing with such concept so much and they mostly use statistic to backed up their claim, check up physiognomy.

if you're out in the wilderness 100,000 years ago and meet someone of a different race, you wont be thinking about average intelligence. You'll be thinking about surviving the encounter and 'race' can help inform that process, especially if your last experience was negative.

if you're out in the wilderness 100,000 years ago and meet someone of a different race, you wont be thinking about average intelligence. You'll be thinking about surviving the encounter and 'race' can help inform that process, especially if your last experience was negative.

I really get your point there, generalisation is used as a shortcut cognitive option that made us able to made proper decision making that helps our survival.

But this kind of primitive survival kits is the one that deluded our perception and creates racial prejudice under the pretext of protecting their community and the future of their children. Same primitive motive.

Indeed, we have an evolutionary affinity for comfort and security and a natural suspicion of difference. From that we generalize once we add experience to the memory banks, the stranger who attacked or helped you in the past will inform future meetings with similar looking people. Racism is thinking you're superior and therefore 'justifies' mistreating them. That mindset is not limited to racists, our egos drive us to think we're superior - at least to someone out there - followed by the snob in us.

When it operates in a large pseudo group identity, it creates racism.

Top Bottom