Doviello+

You're not using the food stuff finally? Nor the healing-after-combat?

I'd like to see the Doviello be able to use lots of animals as a sort of Beastmaster Civ. Either give the doviello animal based promotions to represent them as sort of ancillaries (call them Totem promotions) or as separate units. Both of these have been mentioned before.

I'd like to see the Doviello be able to use lots of animals as a sort of Beastmaster Civ. Either give the doviello animal based promotions to represent them as sort of ancillaries (call them Totem promotions) or as separate units. Both of these have been mentioned before.

Actually doing a bit of both. They have control of the animal units, but are able to sacrifice them to a normal unit. Still have to decide exactly what each animal will do.

Small update: Graphic for the Stag Copse. It's the Tree, far right.

In the end, no. If I were to do it, I'd have to do it the way Xienwolf mentioned, and I don't think I have the time it would take to learn to mod the DLL. :lol:
Ok :) It's cool in fact because it means that the Ngomele won't have some of their uniqueness in another modmod :p

Yeah, I hadn't wanted to steal mechanics, that one was just an awesome idea... But turning it around this way fits the Doviello better. They don't care about bringing extra food home, if they get ahold of it they're going to use it to keep their strength up so they can fight more.

Edit: While I'm posting, I'll go ahead and ask opinions of this... I added the Stag unit. In my mind, I picture this mystical stag.... So I made it's Copse available at KotE, and have it able to cast Haste. In return, it is unable to increase in strength beyond the 3 it starts with... Should it gain any other spellspheres? Maybe Nature 1?

Thought I'd post an update on the changelog for the next version... Should be the first version complete enough for me to take away the beta tag. Sometime tomorrow, maybe the day after. Depends how long it takes to play test.

Changes:
  1. Supplied promotion- Gained after successful combat with a living enemy, allows free upkeep for 5 turns.
  2. +1 :food: for camps. - Done
  3. Bear Rider horse archer UU. :p No ranged attack, higher strength. - Done. 8:strength: rather than 6, no ranged attack, no defensive strikes. Does not require Archery.
  4. Stags brought in, Stag Copse is able to be constructed at KotE. Able to caste Haste. - Done. 3:strength: 2:move:, not allowed to attack or gain promotions. Stack buffer.
  5. Pandas may be brought in, undecided atm.
  6. Mammoth Rider artwork brought in. Amurite, Doviello, Illians. - Done. 1:strength: more than War Elephants, Amurite model is available to everyone. Mammoths and Mammoth Riders have Winterborn.
  7. Dens that improve with time. For now, all that improves is the number of allowed animals per den. Moves from an initial value of 1, up by 1 every 25? turns. After 100 turns each den can support 5. This is likely to change drastically before I'm done. :lol:
  8. Bison resource. Northern cows. - Done. Allowed to spawn on riversides and hills- Only way to get them to show more than 2 in a huge map. :lol: Doviello gain a flavour bonus for them.
  9. Theater UU available at Warfare, essentially an arena.
  10. Mr. Underhills experience share code. - Done
Balance Questions:
  1. Seeing as the Doviello have a Bison Knight UU, and I've added in a Bison resource, should I allow them to be constructed with the Bison as well as horses?
  2. How to prevent the animal spawning from being a gimmick?
    • Require the sacrifice of a warrior to create a den?
    • Introduce new animals (Dire Wolf, Sabertooth, etc), increasing the potential strength of the animals?
    • Allow Gorilla/Tiger lairs? I like them rare, and don't think the Doviello would have much experience with them.... But it fleshes out the animal units, so I'm not sure.
  3. Should the new animal lairs be allowed for the Animal barbarians as well, or kept for the Doviello?
    • Particularly wondering about the Stag.
  4. Should the Stag be allowed any other spells? Nature 1, Ice, Life? Maybe medic? Want it to fill the role of stack buff.

not sure about 2, but:

1) I think Bison Rider should require Bison and NOT horses. you could always give them both the bison rider and a regular knight so they can build those if they have horses but no bison, similar to how you handles camels and horses in malakim+ iirc.

3) yep, more variety is always welcome. give them to the animal civ as well ;)

4) nature magic fits it nicely imho

A thought.

Given that the doviello like honorable duels, and hate backstabbing. I think they could do with an assasin UU, one that doesn't have marksman, but maybe higher base strengths and collateral damage instead.

Also, I think they should have a massive negative weighting against Coundil of Esus. like -99

[to_xp]Gekko;7994713 said:
not sure about 2, but:

1) I think Bison Rider should require Bison and NOT horses. you could always give them both the bison rider and a regular knight so they can build those if they have horses but no bison, similar to how you handles camels and horses in malakim+ iirc.

I don't really want a duplicate mechanic here... the main reason I'd allow them to use Bison is because they may not be able to get Horses with Flavourstart.

3) yep, more variety is always welcome. give them to the animal civ as well ;)

Main issue there is how do I make it fit? It would basically be an elephant clone, unable to attack... Don't want that.

4) nature magic fits it nicely imho

I agree, it's in. Going to look at other lvl 1 abilities, see if there are any buff spells that would fit it... Only other buffs I can think of are Enchanted Blade, which is completely out, or Loyalty.

A thought.

Given that the doviello like honorable duels, and hate backstabbing. I think they could do with an assasin UU, one that doesn't have marksman, but maybe higher base strengths and collateral damage instead.

Also, I think they should have a massive negative weighting against Coundil of Esus. like -99

I don't really want to mess with religious weighting. The assassin is a possibility, but again, don't want a duplicate mechanic.

Spoiler :
Code:
#Put this anywhere in CustomFunctions
	def inheritExperience(self, newUnit, fReturnRate):
		if not newUnit.isAlive()
			return
		py = PyPlayer(newUnit.getOwner())
		iTotalXP = 0
		iMatchingUnits = 0
		if newUnit.getUnitCombatType() == -1:
			return
		for pUnit in py.getUnitList():
			if pUnit.getUnitCombatType() == newUnit.getUnitCombatType() and pUnit != newUnit:
				iTotalXP += pUnit.getExperience()
				iTotalXP += pUnit.baseCombatStr()
				iMatchingUnits += 1
		if iMatchingUnits == 0:
			return
		iAverage = int(iTotalXP / (iMatchingUnits ** fReturnRate))
		newUnit.changeExperience(iAverage, -1, false, false, false)
#Put this near the start of OnUnitBuilt in CvEventManager
if pPlayer.getCivilizationType() == gc.getInfoTypeForString('CIVILIZATION_DOVIELLO'):
	cf.inheritExperience(unit,1.8)

Getting some crippling python errors with this... Put the first block at the end of CustomFunctions, the second right after the code granting Fair Winds to all Austrin Naval units. What am I doing wrong?

Main issue there is how do I make it fit? It would basically be an elephant clone, unable to attack... Don't want that.

you're talking about animal civ stags, right? I guess you could make them able to attack, but unable to leave tundra/ice, simulating the fact that they like their cold ecosystem and are territorial. actually, that could be a nice mechanic for ALL animal civ animals, to make sure that they stay in a territory that makes sense for them :D

Getting some crippling python errors with this... Put the first block at the end of CustomFunctions, the second right after the code granting Fair Winds to all Austrin Naval units. What am I doing wrong?

I tested this earlier. The problem is with this line here in inheritExperience():
Code:
		if not newUnit.isAlive()

It needs to have a colon on the end, like this.
Code:
		if not newUnit.isAlive():

Sorry about that. I really should've tested that code before posting it. Python can be really picky about it's syntax. :p

Scavenger:
Promotion expires in 5 turns.
Unit costs no maintenance.
Does not cause War Weariness.
Does not cost military support.
Can sacrifice to provide 10:food: to a city.
Heals an extra 5/10/15% in Friendly/Neutral/Enemy territory.
Heals +10% after combat.

What unitclasses should be able to get this? I'm thinking Melee and Recon.

The trend of "bigger bonus in enemy territory" for healing was decided a while ago to have been a BAD trend. In your case it'll be the only promotion in the game which does it now (I think...) so that means you won't have the "Ouch, I'm hurt... let me find somewhere dangerous so I can heal back up quickly..." scenario, but you are risking getting back in the habit which will make that happen again soon...

True... It just works so well when taken together with MrUnderhills code. It rewards small, heavily promoted armies... Take some fodder with you, throw them at the enemy, and if they survive, then great, your new units will start even better.

But yes, I'm going to play with the bonuses on the promotion. This is just what I thought of as I was putting it in... Initially had immune to fear as well, but I removed that. To be honest, I even thought about Blitz... :lol:

Scavenger:
Can sacrifice to provide 10:food: to a city.
Heals an extra 5/10/15% in Friendly/Neutral/Enemy territory.
Heals +10% after combat.

What unitclasses should be able to get this? I'm thinking Melee and Recon.

Everything.

Literally, all units. Make the requirement only be Civilization == Doviello. Available to all unitcombats.

Scavenger sound VERY powerful to me, even at only 5 turns duration.

Personally I would like it just fine if it was just...

Scavenger:
Can sacrifice to provide 10 to a city.
Heals an extra 5%/5%/5% in Friendly/Neutral/Enemy territory.

Top Bottom