Dune quotes, pool, and discussion - The Spice Must Flow!

I...

• Total voters
After reading all these posts I wonder how many people has read the whole saga and not just some books. And by whole saga I mean Frank Herbert's saga, not the big crap his son and Kevin J. Anderson wrote.

After reading all these posts I wonder how many people has read the whole saga and not just some books. And by whole saga I mean Frank Herbert's saga, not the big crap his son and Kevin J. Anderson wrote.

Only the first three. My library only had the first three, and I've never gotten around to buy the other three.

edit: Apparently there are six books.

The Original Six (as I've coined the phrase) Dune books, by Frank Herbert, are:

Dune
Dune Messiah
Children of Dune
God Emperor of Dune
Heretics of Dune
Chapterhouse: Dune

If you only read one of these, read Dune. It's the best, and a self-contained story. There is a 3000-year jump between Children of Dune and God Emperor of Dune, and a 1500-year jump between God Emperor and Heretics. Heretics and Chapterhouse could be considered to be the first two books of a planned second trilogy, as there is a cliffhanger ending.

The team of Brian Herbert and Keven J. Anderson claim to have used Frank Herbert's notes to write the sequels to Chapterhouse Dune, but these novels are simply nowhere near the quality of Frank Herbert's work and may be safely ignored. Actually, all of their "contributions" may be safely ignored, since they themselves ignore so much of what Frank Herbert himself established, and they contribute nothing of value to the series.

As to the question posed above: I've read the Original Six novels so many times over the past 25+ years, I can't begin to count how many times.

Well, for the time being looks like only me and Valka D'Ur are hardcore dunefanatics, anyone else has also read the whole saga?

This is surely a restraint for us, we can't post about what happens to Arrakis and... well, those how come from the outside and that guy who survives the whole story and so on.

Well, for the time being looks like only me and Valka D'Ur are hardcore dunefanatics, anyone else has also read the whole saga?

This is surely a restraint for us, we can't post about what happens to Arrakis and... well, those how come from the outside and that guy who survives the whole story and so on.
I'm a hardcore Dune fanatic. Moderator Action: Inappropriate content removed.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

For those who have not read Dune: read it. Now. It is quite possibly the greatest novel of all time, and I say that despite having read a vast number of novels in my lifetime.

If you want to discuss the Dune books, isn't it easier to do so if you've actually read them? :hmm:

The original book, Dune, is excellent. The rest are cash-in novels that don't live up to the standards of the original. As Gangleri and Valka point out, the son's books are not worth purchasing.

My favorite quote from Dune, the Movie; After killing Sting, Maud'Dib speaks a weirding word and the ground cracks open, after which Stilgar says, "Maud'Dib!"

I use that one on my daughter whenever she screws something up bigtime.

I never could figure out if Stilgar was more taken aback at how Feyd-Rautha (Sting was the actor, not the character ;)) was killed... or that the really nice floor was ruined. :crazyeye:

It seemed to me that it was the kind of thing guys say to each other after a truly heroic burp or fart.

Neither of which a proper Fremen would do, as it wastes moisture. :nono:

Okay I have never read the books, so why should I?

See this post.

If you want to discuss the Dune books, isn't it easier to do so if you've actually read them? :hmm:

Yeah! It's quite impressive the amount of people who wants to discuss the books without having read them, like the OP himself. Looks like everyone here is a real discussfanatic.

The original book, Dune, is excellent. The rest are cash-in novels that don't live up to the standards of the original.

:eek:

Have you read God Emperor of Dune? Because, in my opinion, that book CRUSHES the original.

As Gangleri and Valka point out, the son's books are not worth purchasing.

Well, someone had to put an end to the saga. Maybe they should have looked for somebody who had good ideas instead of his son and Anderson, but then again, they had the rights.

My favorite quote from Dune, the Movie; After killing Sting, Maud'Dib speaks a weirding word and the ground cracks open, after which Stilgar says, "Maud'Dib!"

I use that one on my daughter whenever she screws something up bigtime.

ARGH! People here quoting the movie. QUOTE THE BOOKS! Every chapter has a good pseudo-quote at the beginning. Quote them instead.

Neither of which a proper Fremen would do, as it wastes moisture. :nono:

Agreed. In the movie we see Fremen talking without the masks of their stillsuits way too many times. And they don't go out with water. A good Fremen never goes out without water.

I had picture of white cat with blue eyes and writing "spice must flow". Quite amazing.

Dune- Favorite SF story ever!
Dune Messiah -Weak follow-up
Children of Dune -weaker follow-up
God Emperor of Dune -Passable for "paperback SF"
Heretics of Dune -Completely awful
Chapterhouse Dune- Just die already

I have not and will not read any of the posthumous Dune works.

The various Dune movies are all garbage, although the SciFi version is less atrocious than the David Lynch version.

Dune 2000 was also out for the PS1. Played it. OK RTS, nothing special.

In the final analysis, Dune itself is a classic, one of the best stories written in the 20th Century. Everything else that spun off from it is worthless, except God Emperor of Dune which is only just ok. My recommendation is that if you have not read Dune the novel, read it now and do not bother with any of the rest. It just brings the original down. If you have already read Dune, read it again.

I never could figure out if Stilgar was more taken aback at how Feyd-Rautha (Sting was the actor, not the character ;)) was killed... or that the really nice floor was ruined. :crazyeye:

I knew that, I just supposed that House Harkonnen would be British Rock fans - You know, a bunch of redheads in the moshpit, bashing heads and pulling each other's heart plugs...

How about this quote;

"I am the Shaddout Mapes. I am.... The Housekeeper." (Thunder crashes, horses scream!}

The extended version of the Lynch movie expands on that scene. I only saw the abbreviated version, which does no favors to people unfamiliar with the Shadout's true motives for her actions.

The extended version of the Lynch movie expands on that scene. I only saw the abbreviated version, which does no favors to people unfamiliar with the Shadout's true motives for her actions.
The Lynch film does no favours to anyone, period.

The Lynch film does no favours to anyone, period.
I've seen lots of threads on other Dune sites where the entire thread was taken up by just this topic: the pros and cons of the Lynch movie.

It does have its good points. At least everybody isn't wearing funny hats.

Or walking before the most evident set I've ever seen and PRETENDING that they're in the desert like in the miniseries.

I knew that, I just supposed that House Harkonnen would be British Rock fans - You know, a bunch of redheads in the moshpit, bashing heads and pulling each other's heart plugs...

Agreed. Cristopher Lee for Baron Harkonnen!

Link to video.

I've seen lots of threads on other Dune sites where the entire thread was taken up by just this topic: the pros and cons of the Lynch movie.

I don't think sucking less in some parts than the mini-series is a pro. More of a 'less-con.'

Top Bottom