1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Egypt - Cleopatra Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by nunor, May 25, 2016.

1. Willie5000

Willie5000 Chieftain

But... If they replace Gandhi, where will we get our memetic nuclear warmonger fix? Part of the appeal of having Gandhi in the game is the infamous running gag of Nuclear Gandhi. It's kind of a staple of the series and I hope it stays in the game somehow.

Besides, "not using any of the Civ V leaders" could mean simply that the leaders introduced in V (Theodora, Casimir III, Harun al- Rashid, etc.)

2. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

The nuclear Gandhi gag has run it's course. Many people would rather see a different leaders for India, or for India to no longer be an "umbrella civ" encompassing many different cultures and empires from various time periods under one modern non-leader figurehead. I fully expect that Firaxis considers him irreplaceable though, and that he will be kept around long into the future of the series.

3. Stilgar08

Stilgar08 Emperor

4. Westwall

Westwall Emperor

He's still too iconic to leave out. I'm almost positive that the first Civ game to drop him will be declared "not true Civ" by a lot of diehard fans. To this day, I still don't know what all the fuss is about. I've played with Gandhi dozens of times, he's only ever been aggressively expansionist in a few games.

5. poom3619

poom3619 Ping Pang Poom!

The "fuss" would be, he is in no way representing 4,000-year history of the land he stand on. India have many great empires, rose and fell before the British came. Those great empires sometimes ruled a territory as large, if not larger than modern state of India, and some of them even called themselves "Hindustan" - basically Persian word for India.

and then they are represented in Civ 5 by nuking Gandhi, with "War Elephant" and Mughal fort and maybe Chandragupta Maurya as random Great General. The end.

While I do feel that "India" is underrepresented in Civilization. I also agree that Gandhi and his India civ is embodiment of "true civ" and Firaxis is unlikely to drop him for any circumstance.

6. daft

daft The fargone

Cleo's agenda seems pretty spot on, historically (Marcus Antonius).
    The only thing I'd change is that she should ally with not only those leaders with powerful armies, they have to be male, and not ugly either.

(while in audience with her she could be taking one of her milk baths!- but of course not gonna happen)

7. Novu

Novu Warlord

I agree with the having to be male as part of Cleopatra's agenda. Cleopatra was a seductress who tried to coerce powerful men to do her bidding. It probably wouldn't work on female rulers.

8. Thormodr

Thormodr Servant of Civ Supporter

I don't think ugly should matter. If she could get ahead, she would do it. :p

9. GenyaArikado

GenyaArikado Judge of Love

Pretty sure it would

I mean it. Seduccion is more than sex and she was a sweet talker

10. Monado

Monado King

Are you serious? That would be such a terrible idea. Dividing game mechanics for leaders by sex is just bad for gameplay idea, plus having the UA based on a subjective idea of if a leader is "ugly" is even worse.

Plus, seeing how poorly the Teddy Roosevelt caricature screen came out, I have the feeling I'm personally going to think every leader in this game is ugly. Cleopatra would have no UA at all for me. ha

11. 4N4C0ND4

4N4C0ND4 King

From what we saw so far (China & US), this Cleo's UA is going to be bottom tier :lol:

12. GenyaArikado

Do you realize UA and agenda are different things right?

13. Art Grin

Art Grin Emperor

Seeing how China's capital is Xi'an, I wonder if Alexandria will now replace Thebes as Egypt's capital.
    It would make sense since Cleopatra is the leader now.

14. GenyaArikado

It would be nice. I always liked Thebes because Amon was my favorite god. But between Cleopatra and 2/3 of the egyptian wonders being from Alexandria i believe it makes sense as a capital

15. nunor

nunor King

Spoiler :

(Thanks to TPangolin for the screenshots)

16. Stilgar08

Stilgar08 Emperor

it seems Giza is the capital... (from E3-footage)

17. nunor

nunor King

Indeed, I was going to say that.

18. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Benelovent Chieftain of the BearKingdom

Gotta say I'm fairly pleased with her appearance, she's beautiful but not... provocative.

19. Plus Ultra

Plus Ultra Conquistador

Cleo looks like Salma Hayek and I'm fine with that. I should start building an army to impress her.

20. Morningcalm

Morningcalm Keeper of Records

She at first looks like she's from Civ Rev, but a closer look is a bit more pleasing--she looks Macedonian ish after all, and has short cropped hair (recalling her appearance in the HBO series Rome), and she isn't portrayed as overtly sexy--which accords with most ancient records which say she was less physically beautiful than charming, graceful, fiercely intelligent, etc.

I must say I'm displeased with the rough painting in the background. Looks like those are in to stay. I would rather they kept paintings in the background for players who couldn't get the graphics cards to play animated leader backgrounds. :(