Emperor Ragnar - Play with me.

LincolnOfRome

Glutton for Punishment
I think I am really going to slow things down here, to get a chance for some more detailed discussion. I think I'll go for like 15 turns a day of so. Today, I would appreciate some discussion on the city placement and warrior movement for the first turn.

Here is the starting position:

Any thoughts on the warrior movement for the first turn? I think the hill to the NE or SE would be reasonable choices. The settler seems ready to start a city now. He is in a plains forest, across from an elephant, with a few floodplains around. There seems to be plenty of wood for chopping. The elephant can be hooked up right away due to the Vikings starting with hunting technology for one food, three shields and three coins (due to Ragnar's financial trait).

My game is modded with BUFFY-3.19.001, so you will have to download it here if you want to play along. The mod is only a few kilobytes. It offers a few informational tools such as combat odds and a city placement tool. It doesn't alter the BTS game mechanics in any way. Of course, please contribute even if you don't try the game. If you can't get it to work, chances are that you don't have your game patched to the latest patch.

Attachments

• Leader BC-4000.CivBeyondSwordSave
    55.1 KB · Views: 140
why you don't use buffy-3.19.003 (latest edition) and why use buffy for forum games? you probably can't post them in HoF and the same functionality you get with BUG+BULL installed in customassets which doesn't corrupt the save.

I assume they are flood plains to the west. Looking good for cottaging.

For me there are very few resources showing. Normally meaning there are some in the fog. For me send scout NW to see extent of river and possible floodplains.

I would settle on the ivory for production if moving scout shows nothing new. Means an extra forest to chop.

Oh set food on when you take screenshots.

why you don't use buffy-3.19.003 (latest edition) and why use buffy for forum games? you probably can't post them in HoF and the same functionality you get with BUG+BULL installed in customassets which doesn't corrupt the save.
I do try to play with the latest non-beta version. Did they take 3.19.003 off beta? I'm looking into switching.

I play with Buffy because I am really hooked on Buffy and really have trouble playing without it. I hope it doesn't create too many problems for others. I did provide a link and Civilization handles it well. Maybe next time I'll warn people in the topic title that I am using a mod.
I assume they are flood plains to the west. Looking good for cottaging.

For me there are very few resources showing. Normally meaning there are some in the fog. For me send scout NW to see extent of river and possible floodplains.

I would settle on the ivory for production if moving scout shows nothing new. Means an extra forest to chop.

Oh set food on when you take screenshots.

Good suggestion. I moved the scout to the NW:
Spoiler :

There's a cow.

just fyi after installing the older version the save loads without interface... had to go into buffy.ini and block loading custom assets. I have BUG+BULL and it basically should be the same functionality, maybe worth the check for future forum games, since this way everyone can load.

just fyi after installing the older version the save loads without interface... had to go into buffy.ini and block loading custom assets. I have BUG+BULL and it basically should be the same functionality, maybe worth the check for future forum games, since this way everyone can load.
That is good information. I have both 3.19.003 (beta) and 3.19.001 installed and I have not had any issues running either version. There was someone with a "no interface" problem on the last game I posted. I just figured he didn't have BTS patched up. Thanks so much for finding the problem and solution.

I think you should move the scout SE. Cottages on floodpalins are awesome with FIN trait. BTW could you turn on the button which allows us to see :food: ,:commerce: and :hammers: because for the time being I can't look at your saves given my computer is broken. And I would appreciate it if you could post more screenshots -like those of Sisiutil's ALC games- because this way less experienced players like me learn lots of things;) And I am happy to catch up this game in the begining so I can follow it through. Anyway good luck with the game...

You should be using .003. It's been out of beta for about a year I think. Most HOF and GOTMs players will have it installed, but a lot of players will not. It's a great mod, though it's due for another update. I think it will get one.

For forums games, it's probably best to use the single player BUG/BULL install in custom assets. The saves created in this format can be loaded with or without a mod. BUFFY is basically just BUG/BULL with a couple of tweaks for HOF compliance.

I also recommend you try the BAT mod. Has everything in BUFFY, better graphics, has the latest BUG/BULL and performs much better than BUFFY.

Settle in place IMO so you can have some hills for :hammers: and forests for chopping.

Unconventional, I'll turn the resources on. I moved the scout for the first turn though already.
1W lacks hills. Although the initial hammer bonus from the ivory is nice, I'd stay in place.
I wouldn't have known that, but thanks anyway. The one extra hammer is nice to found a city on. You think I should settle in place? it looks pretty good so far. The floodplains, elephant, and cow look pretty good.

Would settle on the Jumbos, those plains hills in the east are hard to use with just a Cow and FPs to feed your Vikings ;)
The hill with no woods might be copper or something, thou.

Extra hammer is valuable here cuz you need to work FPs, takes a bit longer and the sooner a worker is out the better. But SiP is not wrong, not a 100% clear decision to make here.

There seems to be a lack of consesus about where to settle. I'll give it little more time and let more people chime in.

Lymond, thanks for the information you posted. I'll look into putting BUG/BULL into custom assets and use that for future postings.

Thanks for resources. SIP because you'll be able to build at least 9 cottages most of which are riverside giving you one extra :commerece: and some hill will fasten your early production. And Mylene may be right. If there's copper on that hill you can possibly do an early rush. I think it would be a good capital.

You'll want to farm the FPs here. Otherwise Nidaros will take forever to grow.

Those 4 FP each give +1 food with cottages and the cow gives 4 food I think that would be enough for growth ? (but I'm saying this without looking at the save of course)

There are 5 fp's here (2 to the south in the fog looks like a fp as well). It would be a shame to farm with Ragnar's financial trait, but it may be better at the beginning to farm and whip.

btw it's monarch difficulty on Large map script
Are you sure? I'm not really sure how to check, but I thought I checked emperor. I guess I'll just keep this thread going if it is. We already started. There isn't much difference between the two levels anyway.

Top Bottom