[SCENARIO] Escape From Zombie Island Elite - January 31, 2017

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Completed Scenarios' started by Vuldacon, Jan 31, 2017.

?

After Playing - Your Opinion about the Updated EFZI2 Elite Game - December 6, 2021

Poll closed Jun 10, 2022.
  1. I think the Game Play needs to be more challenging

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  2. I think the Game Play is too challenging

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I think the Game Play is challenging enough and Fun to Play

5 vote(s)
    62.5%
  4. I think the Game Play needs more Special/Scary Zombies

3 vote(s)
    37.5%
  5. I think the Game Play needs more Zombies from the Start of the Game

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  6. I think the Game Play is about right because each time I play is different enough to enjoy

6 vote(s)
    75.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Vuldacon

Vuldacon Dedicated to Excellence Supporter

Blue Monkey... Thank You for your encouraging post and I am Happy you can have some Fun with the Game because that is the Main Reason for it :)

2. Takhisis

Takhisis Rum and coke.

Hey Vuldacon! I happened upon this article today and was happily reminded of the 'pedia entry for one of the units here.

3. Vuldacon

Takhisis... Yes indeed, What Ever Man can Think of and Believe, can become Reality!
    T-800... "Drop Your Weapon" :lol:-:think:-:eek:

4. Takhisis

Takhisis Rum and coke.

‘Talking, walking, and tea-making’-800. ;)

5. Nwoll

Nwoll Prince

Haven't played in years. Back again with Steam trying my favorite scenario. The .txt file seems messed up? Might be a steam issue. I can post screenshots if you need it, but I figured it might be a known issue with this mod and steam. Any ideas for a fix?

sandswoll05 likes this.
  6. tjs282

tjs282 Stone \ Cold / Fish

The text-problem is caused by an incompatibility between the Steam conquests.exe and the scenario's labels.txt file.

Basically, to add labels to the appropriate points in the GUI, the .exe looks for specific line-numbers in the labels.txt, but when Steam started hosting MP-games again, the conquests.exe file in the installer was reverted back to the MP-capable version from the GameSpy-era, and the (base-game) labels.txt file was also modified/reverted to include a new line "Unknown" between the lines "Host" and "Ping" — which shunted every subsequent label down by one place.

But scenarios like EFZI, which were built to be run on a "single-player-only" .exe published during the years intervening between GameSpy-MP going defunct and Steam-MP being introduced, don't have that now-needed-by-Steam labels.txt line — so when the scenario is run under Steam, the player sees the random word-salad.

It's an easy fix, though. Go into your ..Conquests/Scenarios/EFZI/ scenario-folder, then into the ../Text subfolder. Open the labels.txt file in a simple text editor (e.g. Notepad or similar), scroll down to the "Host/Ping" lines, and insert the needed "Unknown" line in between them.

Then enjoy your zombie-fightin' madness! :D

(BTW, this fix can be applied for any other scenario where you see this problem as well)

Moff Jerjerrod likes this.
  7. Nwoll

Nwoll Prince

8. Vuldacon

Yes, the Steam version needs to use Unknown between PING and HOST in the labels.txt

Perhaps I will add the Labels.txt for Steam in with the Download.

Use For Steam labels.png

tjs282 likes this.
  9. Nwoll

Nwoll Prince

Game freezes when it goes to spaceship screen as the company for Destroy all Evidence.

I can't get it off the spaceship screen. I hit "x" and it freezes, I hit "launch" and it freezes. I've reloaded and tried several times. I do give up after about 20 minutes so it could just be taking longer. But other turns have been very short.

4pm Day 9.

10. tjs282

tjs282 Stone \ Cold / Fish

IIRC, the hung-game problem occurs when the .exe tries to play the Space-victory movie at a non-native resolution.

While you're not actually trying to launch, you should be able to exit the Spaceship/"DAE" screen using <ESCAPE> — and that might also work to bypass the movie-autoplay when the last component is built.

I sometimes (also) need to use <ESC> to pass through all the end-of-game score/taunt-screens (in the epic-game) without hangs.