[RD] Exploring Japan

Tsukiji Fish Market (continued)

While you walk through the market, you get a bit of a sense of how seriously the workers here take their craft. When you watch them work, you'd think they are artists, not artisans.

Lots of interesting seafood on display. Most octopi I ran into were dark red, except for this one

Sashimi

Right beside the fish market are several sushi restaurants, two of which are particularly popular with visitors. They were easy to spot from a distance, as the lines of people outside were quite long. What wasn't easy was figuring out which line would lead to the restaurant I'd prefer. Would it be restaurant A or restaurant B? I noticed that the group of people right in front of me occasionally used English, so I asked them for some tips. The differences between the restaurants were not really ones I understood quite readily, and the person I was talking to seemed a bit confused as well. In the end we all ended up going to the restaurant we thought was a bit more traditional.

The wait was about an hour and a half. I had nowhere else to be that day, so I didn't mind waiting, especially since the sushi was supposed to be really good. The outside wall of the restaurant is plastered with their menu - every dish had a picture, a short Japanese name, and the price. Staff would take your order near the entrance, so that by the time you sat down your order would already be in the works.

As you can see it is a tiny restaurant, with enough seating for 8-10. You can also see some of the menu up on the wall. Imagine that extending out of the restaurant and a lot more of it being plastered all over the entrance.

I ordered a sashimi combo and some extra sashimi salmon (IIRC) on the side. My meal came with some miso soup, which at that point on my trip I was already used to quite a bit. Miso soup comes as a side with almost every dish I ordered in the country

Sashimi is essentially thinly sliced raw fish that is often served with soy sauce and wasabi. The one thing I learned during my stay in Japan is that in the west people tend to mix the wasabi and some soy sauce, and dip the fish in that mixture. This is not the way most people eat sushi or sashimi in Japan. Instead, you put a small amount of wasabi right on the fish, and dip the fish into a tiny amount of soy sauce. The soy sauce can't overwhelm the taste in any way, and the wasabi should pack a concentrated pocket of flavour, and not be spread out in all the soy.

An hour and a half and that's all I got? It seems crazy, but this was the best sashimi I ever had. It was so incredibly fresh! I was very happy that I had the patience to wait in line and not wander away.

Last edited:
The East Gardens of the Imperial Palace

The Imperial Palace and surrounding parks take up about 1.15 square km, which is about one third of the size of NY Central Park. The East Gardens were the only part of the complex open to me at the time.. For a map of all that click here

I entered via the Ōte-mon Gate, which I believe is the only access point into the park from the east.

This gate is close to a subway station. Tokyo Station is also nearby, which is a major transit hub and high-speed rail station.

Last edited:
The East Gardens of the Imperial Palace (continued)

Given how close this place is to some of the busiest rail and transit hubs in the world, it's crazy that you can just get away from all that and step into this tranquil paradise so easily..

Up above in the distance on the right, you might have caught the Tokyo Tower..

It's as quiet and serene here as it looks..

I felt compelled to include this last image. It would be easy to overlook it in the sea of photographs that I took on my walks.. but this one definitely stood out. I wish I could tell you more about it

Time to leave Tokyo

I wrapped up my stay in Tokyo with a Beard Papa's pastry (which was delicious), a nap, and a visit to Roppongi district.. which is touted as a big night club and party district. I ended up at an Irish pub, an American bar, and some other place.. and did not dance.

Here's the last picture I will post for day 8.. It's a shot of Shinjuku city centre. This is near Shinjuku Station, which is the world's busiest train station. Wikipedia also tells me that it's the world's busiest transportation hub (by far)

Did you not go with a English tour group ?
The imperial guards often put on demonstration / exercises. The weird thing is they still armed with their old service revolvers maybe its considered part of their uniform now but an old six shooter is obsolete weapon from a bygone age
A lot of very rare plants are grown in the garden, all like heritage varieties that are not grown anywhere and are preserved only here. No idea what the statue is though

I felt compelled to include this last image. It would be easy to overlook it in the sea of photographs that I took on my walks.. but this one definitely stood out. I wish I could tell you more about it
https://www.meijimura.com/enjoy/sight/building/5-58.html

A quick translation on some parts.

The decorative lights pictured were installed in 1893 by the Tokyo Electric Light Company after a German technician reported that electricity would provide enough light and be safe; the plan until then was to use a gas lamp. The lights were used up until 1986.

Amadeus, thanks for digging that up! I thought somebody might be able to help, but I was also sure nobody would. So that's a nice surprise

FriendlyFire, I almost never sign on to group tours and prefer to walk around solo, which is what I did here. At one point I saw a large band, dressed in military uniform, pass by me. From what I could see most of them were holding brass instruments. I also remember walking past a building.. you could see into it a tiny bit, over the fence and through the window. There were people inside practicing a martial art. Couldn't really see much at all though, mainly the shouts..

I agree that a proper tour with a guide would have given me a more meaningful experience in the gardens.. but in a nice park like that I like to walk around by myself and just take it all in. It's a huge place too, and I hate slow walkers, so I don't know if I could put up with a tour either.. There's also the flexibility you get by showing up when you want, and leave when you want

Day 9 - The Tōkaidō Shinkansen

I woke up at 11am and slowly crawled out of bed. I was hungover and feeling groggy. I eventually got up, took a shower, and went downstairs to grab a quick bite to eat.

I checked out of my hotel and and followed the now sort of familiar route to the walkway that would take me underground. From there you could just sort of stumble around and eventually you would find a subway station. Usually I would walk in the general direction of the main transit hub, which had subway stations attached at different points underground.. I was usually following google maps directions, and so headed for specific subway stations.. but occasionally you'd get lost in a tunnel, say "screw it", and just jump on another line.

It was usually really easy to get to wherever I wanted to go in the city.. For example.. This time I was headed to Tokyo station, which is the high speed rail station.. There are at least 3 different subway lines I could have used to get there from my hotel . I could have used the Yamanote Line, the Ginza Line, or the Honzomon Line.. So even if you're hungover and you get lost in the tunnels, you can still make it to your destination no problem

Tokyo station is also a crazy busy place.. It was easy enough to follow the google map directions to get there.. but then I had to find a place where I could activate my high speed rail pass. Imagine a busy train station with a sea of people, and there's all sorts of corridors and other connections to subway stations and various rail lines and stairways.. I think it took me about a half an hour to find the office where I could wait in line for 5 minutes in order to activate my rail pass..

The way the rail pass works is you buy it before you fly to Japan. At the time at least it was only possible to purchase it outside of Japan. They mail you a package, and you have to bring it with you to Japan, and bring it to this office to activate your pass at a time of your choosing. When "activated", you get a card with an expiry date on it. I went with the 2 week long rail pass option, with the plan to return to Tokyo a couple days before my flight home.

The rail pass is not unlimited. It allows you to use most rail lines in the country... but not all companies. It also gives you access to the 300 km/h Shinkansen (bullet train), but not the 330 km/h ones.. The system is really easy to navigate though..

I was directed to nearby office, with a slightly longer line, where people were buying tickets.. After a short wait in line it was my turn to go up to one of the agents. I sat down in the chair and showed him my rail pass. I then told him that I wanted to take the fastest possible train to Kyoto departing as soon as possible. Not 10 seconds later I have a ticket in my hand and am being told that my train departs in 15 minutes. I ask if that's enough time, and he says yes.. just go to platform such and such.

I scurry over to the platform and easily find it.. Took me a minute to get there. I look at my ticket and it has a train number, a car number, and a seat number. I look down on the ground. There's lines for every single type of train and car number. So easy to figure out, even for a hungover tourist.

My train arrived about 90 seconds before the time shown on the ticket. It's a futuristic looking white beast, and you will see some pictures later, but I'm doing this chronologically and so far there aren't any.. I get on my train and easily find my seat. I sit down and set my stuff down and look at my watch. I open up the second by second stopwatch feature on my smartphone and I look at it. It sounds impossible, but the train started to move within 2 seconds of the indicated time on my ticket.

I ordered a beer and it came in a glass. I set down the glass on this flimsy looking table in front of me, which was attached diagonally to my seat. At that point the train was moving at near 300 km/h and turning occasional corners. There were no train sounds that I was used to and always associated with train rides.. It sounded more like I was on a plane. Instead of a clunk-clunk-kachunk, there was this .. buzzing hum. Out the window everything was zooming by, and there stood my beer, amost full, and it just would not spill..

Overall the Shinkansen train ride to Kyoto was an incredible experience. Everyone in my car was super quiet and courteous. The seat was comfortable, the food delicious, and the ride super smooth and silky. And if I did my math right, a Shinkansen ride from Tokyo to Kyoto would usually cost me just under half of what I paid for my rail pass... So I was getting great value for my money already

Another thing worth noting is how ready you have to be to get off at your station. The train was only stopped for about a minute and a half.. It will leave punctually whether you've gotten off or not. And it's not easy to miss your station or anything, they are all announced ahead of time fairly well.. But if you happen to fall asleep, or start grabbing your 5 bags late.. you might not have a fun time getting off..

I got off the train and walked towards a hostel I looked up on my phone on the train. I had nothing booked beyond my hotel in Tokyo, from now on everything was touch and go. I had the rail pass, and I would go wherever it takes me.

I mentioned early on in the story that I woke up at 11am. Consider that I then had lunch, checked out of the hotel, then had to make my way through 2 of the world's busiest transit hubs.. then had to find that office.. then activate my rail pass.. then buy my ticket.. Consider that it takes anywhere from 5 and a half to 8 hours to drive from Tokyo to Kyoto, if you were to use a car.. Consider how lazy of an approach to this day I had, and how casually I ended up at my destination.. Now consider that I was checked in and in my room in Kyoto by 4:30pm.

There's a map of the lines that the rail pass covers. Tokyo and Kyoto both lie on the same Shinkansen line - the Tōkaidō Shinkansen line. It runs from Tokyo to Osaka and is the oldest high speed rail line in the world.

Last edited:
Day 10 - Fushimi Inari-taisha

Here's one of the first pictures I took in Kyoto.. Earlier I said I took it as I got off the train.. but having further examined all the datestamps, it appears that it was actually taken at the beginning of the next day

Kyoto is a sort of spread out city, and the public transit is not nearly as good as Tokyo's.. There's 2 subway lines and several regional rail lines, but a lot of the temples I wanted to go to were far away from each other and far away from rapid transit stations..

Turns out it was really easy to get to one of the more famous landmarks in the city.. So that's where I went first. All I had to do was walk to the high speed rail station, jump on the regional Nara line heading south, and get off at the 3rd station.

Fushimi Inari-taisha is the head shrine of the kami (shinto spirit) Inari and sits at the base of a mountain also named Inari. It includes 4km of trails up the mountain, with various shrines along the way

Hooray! Getting to the part I recognize!

In Kyoto there are a few other ways than the subway to get around. You can take a bus, but if you’re in a hurry, you can walk.

I did tons of walking, but everything is so spread out you're forced to use some sort of transit, including the buses.. which were fine, but IIRC the routes weren't integrated into google maps, and the buses didn't accept my PASMO card while the subway did.

Now that I think about it I probably did more walking in Kyoto than in any other Japanese city, on a per day basis anyhow

I know as far as Osaka and a few other areas go the bus system is now in Google Maps, but not necessarily for all of the area so Kyoto may still be out there a little. In either case, the whole city (Kyoto) is now a mess with traffic and I encourage anyone visiting to avoid trying to use the bus system simply for the fact that you'll get there faster if you walk. I've literally done this, though my case may be an exception.

For visitors though the bus system information may be in English on Google, etc. but the buses themselves are still mostly only in Japanese mode for announcements, etc.; anyone from CFC visiting the area is welcome to contact me if they have questions re: transport! :)

The bus was fun to figure out and navigate.. and pretty easy. I didn't mind using it at all, even though it was a bit more work, and the buses were obviously not as frequent as the rapid transit routes.. If you're only in the city for 3-4 days and you want to see the top sights, you will not get far by just walking everywhere though. Everything is way too spread out. You'll probably end up walking a ton anyhow, like I did

Fushimi Inari-taisha (continued)

A Torii is a traditional gate usually found at Shinto shrines. It symbolically represents the transition from the mundane to the sacred. This particular temple has a lot of them

Some of the torii shrine gates have been donated by people. I believe their names are inscribed on the back of the gates in black

Last edited:
Did you go to Amanohashidate? If I ever go to Japan, I have to go there. It is my favourite piece of art ever.

Disappointingly small resolution

Top Bottom