1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

FfH2 0.30 Balance Issues

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Fall from Heaven' started by Kael, Dec 15, 2007.

1. xienwolf

xienwolf Deity

2. Grey Fox

Grey Fox Master of Points

Not being able to get CoE religion spread to you without having it adopted already really limits how fast the religion gets spread. The only time it seems to be spreading is if the human player founds it. Which isn't all that easy on the higher difficulties. In my current game, Grigori seems to have founded it, and well, I guess that means noone will have the religion.

3. onedreamer

onedreamer Dragon

The Guardsman promotion is more a disadvantage than anything. Marksmen units show up late in the game, but anyways this part of the promotion is ok. What is not ok, is that a guarsman unit will practically always defend first even if the odds say that another unit should. This means building anything else than melee unit as Bannor is stupid because it will decree the death of your most experienced melee units. Or vice versa it means you shouldn't build melee units. I think that this promotion would work fine if it only was designed against marksmen units, but the rest is really frustrating. If you play for example on level Emperor with aggressive AI and no building reqs., to have a challenge, the AI will come at you with big stacks of units every 2 turns, and all your melee units, even the most promoted ones, are deemed to fall in defense because they will try to defend even with a 1% odd, while the archers are sitting idly and watching them die.

4. Sureshot

Sureshot Goddess

i dont see them in games with the default number of players either.

im pretty sure that reagents started becoming scarce to nonexistent when cotton was introduced.

there needs to be a check that theres atleast a few on the map, im constantly in the situation where i want to go AV or build archmages, and cant find any anywhere and yet ill have 2 incense near my start.

5. Sureshot

Sureshot Goddess

ya, its even worse on the royal guards, even if you get all three together they just get worn down and butchered because theyre defending all the time even when other units could win the fight.

6. onedreamer

onedreamer Dragon

Sureshot, I actually see more often reagents than incense, since reagents are allowed to spawn in more plots than incense. There is a decent amount of reagents. Maybe incense could use some help, or just remove it as prereq. for T2 Priests and keep it for T3 Priests, like Mages need no reagents but Archmages do.

7. Grey Fox

This is a screenshot of a standard map with 9 civilizations (+Basium as of late).

I counted all the Incense and Reagents, there are exactly 12 each unless I missed any.

Attached Files:

8. Sureshot

Sureshot Goddess

thats really weird to see, im getting no reagents and usually about 6 or so incense but im usually playing small maps in multiplayer.

9. Sureshot

Sureshot Goddess

Alright, i just ran through a bunch of mapscripts, and it seems like incense and reagents are actually perfectly balanced so long as you don't use the Blessing of Amatheon option.

The Blessing Option (which all my previous games always used) seems to, without fail, make about 7 incense or so, and 0 or 1 reagents tops. I'm going to post this in the bug thread, since I doubt thats the intent of that option.

edit: a fix for making the Blessing Option work as intended without skewing the amount of reagents is to select "Balanced" resources.

10. beorn

beorn Prince

I play the elves almost all the time, and it occurred to me that one thing I rely on, rather unfairly, is the ability to use my Priest of Leaves to plant new forests everywhere, with no possibility of them getting pillaged. I think they should be open to getting pillaged, and a warring civ should be likely to do so, when fighting elves.

11. beorn

beorn Prince

I think that the AI needs some tweaking in knowing when to seek peace. In my current game, the Hippus -- a medium weak civ -- declared war on me -- a fairly strong civ, and continues to send stacks of horsemen and chariots at me. Early on, I was not totally prepared, and they had a small chance, given their speed. However, they have become nothing more than an experience farm for my civ. They send stacks, I choose which units to kill them with, and I never lose a unit.

I suspect that they are waiting for me to take a city before looking on this as a losing proposition, but I don't want their cities, and I don't want to raise the Armeggedon counter.

12. onedreamer

onedreamer Dragon

what I was saying though is that reagents are more spread accross the world because they can be in more common terrain plots, and you can see it from your screenshot too.

13. Grey Fox

That's true. But usually when I don't have regeants myself, I can usually trade it from a friend. And if I can't do that, well then I have to adapt. Maybe go to war for some, or manage without. It's not really game breaking if you don't have regeants, cause you can still play without the units that require it. It's just easier with those units.

14. puldzian

puldzian Chieftain

yes, i've always used 'blessing' without 'balanced' (- till now, thanks). worldbuilder was the only rescue for sheaim. issue should be fixed, nevertheless.

15. ZhugeTien

ZhugeTien Enlightened Despot

Anyone with fire mana can "pillage" forests by way of the lowly Blaze spell (Fire I). Ancient Forests don't burn as readily as their normal counterparts, but they do burn, and it is quite crippling to surround an elven city in flames...

16. xienwolf

xienwolf Deity

Pretty sure that Blessing is ruining it because Reagents is a "super special" resource and it does a check to make sure they are not within a certain number of tiles of any other resource. Hence if almost every spot on the world is within a couple tiles of a nice resource, there is no room for the reagents.

17. Grey Fox

Sureshot did tests and confirmed that if you use the Balanced resources option that some maptypes have (or just use the Balanced maptype), you will have as many reagents as incense. In my game I had 12 of each, with 9 starting civs.

But without balanced, Blessing is broken yes.

18. Ecofarm

Ecofarm Deity

Is this because Reagents and Incense are strategic resources, like metals and unlike dye or luxury resources? Note, they do not provide happiness directly (although incense does with a temple - hardly balancing the destructive power of reagents, priests considered).

The Balanced Option makes sure that everyone has most of the strategic resources, yes? I think luxury resources are sprinkled as usual under the option. It seems Blessing has a tendency to increase luxury resources, and leave the appearance of strategic resources at standard ratios. The standard distribution of 'reagents : incense' like the distribution between, say, 'copper : uranium' is the problem then?

Sounds like typical Archmage/AV-focused whining to me :cooool:

Perhaps Blessing treats incense as a luxury. Is Blessing weighted to luxuries?

19. beorn

beorn Prince

Yes, and this works well in multi player, but I have never seen the AI use blaze on my forests, while given a chance, they certainly pillage anything they can.

20. snarko

snarko DLLer

If you have a problem with no reagents try reducing iUnique for BONUSCLASS_RUSH to 3 or as I do to 2. Reagents is the last rush class resource to be placed. On some settings all the plots where they can be placed are too close to another rush class resource.