1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

FfH2 0.34 Change log

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Fall from Heaven' started by Kael, Oct 2, 2008.

1. loffenx

loffenx Chieftain

Overall it looks great, the Illians, the Doviello, the Divided Souls... the free xp at higher difficulties sound a bit scary but other than that I'm really looking forward to it!

2. xienwolf

xienwolf Chieftain

Can always IF statement the new and old method if needed.

This may be a problem if the hard limit on max traderoutes per city is not removed or increased.

3. [to_xp]Gekko

[to_xp]Gekko WM junkie

74. Added a game option to disable level requirements for the AI (so the AI can build archmages and such directly).

I guess so ;)

btw, why no more elementals spawning from pillaging the pyre? that was fun :D

4. BeefontheBone

BeefontheBone Windbag of the sea

's almost certainly a possible result of exploring it.

5. arcticnightwolf

arcticnightwolf Chieftain

And is Blight working? (Removing all farms, some bonuses, etc, not only 24 unhealthy people)

6. TheGreatSteve

TheGreatSteve Chieftain

That's an out-of-date tip, not a broken feature, isn't it?

7. MagisterCultuum

MagisterCultuum Great Sage

Nice. Does this go for religions too? (I'm not sure whether I think it should or not.)

What was the problem here? Why is it that you can't get techs before cities anyway?
    As you probably know, I'm still hoping that you will change the assimilation code to be based on the percentage of current culture.

Is this just added a simple if statement to each of these cases, or did you decide not to handicap the AI and make games boring by forcing these civs to always beeline for these techs, replacing this code with strong weightings instead?

Why the hell would BtS have done a thing like that?

Did they change in any other way? I usually find them worthless because they don't even start with the empower promotions like most summons do. I think Lightning elementals should start with all the promotions of the Air elemental that created them too.

This was a bug? I thought it was a feature, part of the arcane trait.

Nice. What are the new unit's stats, and how costly is the ritual?
    Not necessarily my favorite, but not bad. A good representation of the "psychological" meaning of the sphere to balance the overtly physical representations in other spells. I assume the details apply to the promotion it gives enemies. I think I'd rename this Sloth.

Why limit it like this? I'm not a fan. I'd rather see Ice promotions on other civ's units have some bonus for the Illians. For instance, after Auric Ascends he could convert any unit using Ice magic, or claim their souls after death (giving him manes or frostlings or something instead of having thier souls go to Hyborem or Basium).
    Nice, but just when they walk though? A stationary army wouldn't suffer any penalty? It could be nice if it sometimes gave a negative "frostbite" type promotion too.

How does having this feature on a tile effect existing features? Does it destroy forests, ancient forests, floodplains, scrub, etc., permanently? I'm hoping that you implemented a mechanism to make the tiles revert to what they had before after the blizzard moves away.
    Nice.

Is this ritual the only way to get Disciples of Mulcarn? If so, is it at least a relatively cheap, repeatible ritual?
    What do you mean by freezes the map? Do you mean temporarily changing tiles to snow/tundra? Or something really overpowered like immobilizing every unit?

Hopefully it effects oceans too, creating a temporary Ice feature blocking naval unit. I really think that a temporary feature function similar to the tempTerrain function is needed.

I'm thinking it should really be unable to enter jungles, floodplains, and scrub (if a unit cannot enter a terrain but can enter a feature on the terrain, then it can still enter the tiles with said features) too.
    I overlooked the part about cold damage at first (or did you edit this since I first read it?) and was thinking this was a horribly weak spell. With the damage too it is much better. The name still sounds kind of weak though.

Fine, but I wish that Illian Priests had better names. I'd also like assurances that they can't pick up random religions to have access to spells from Mulcarn and of another religion.
    I'm a little concerned that Drifa appears to breath fire like the other dragons. I really think that this meteor-summoning spell needs to be changed to a "Dragon's Breath" direct damage spell, probably similar to Pillar of Fire, that does an appropriate damage type (Cold for Drifa and fire for Acheron, obviously, while for the others I could see Fire, Poison, or Unholy/holy).

I really think that all dragons should be summon though this or similar rituals. I would say to tie the rituals to the Cult of the Dragon, but you removed that.
    I'm not sure he is strong enough. I'm serious, Gods need to be extremely strong. (Dragons need to be a lot stronger too.) I'd probably give him some more spells, and switch some of his strength to high amounts of Ice affinity. I'm thinking that the Avatar race needs to make the units heal 100% after winning in combat. No amount of fodder should be of any use, only the Godslayer. The Godlayer would probably need to be made stronger too.

I'm thinking it would be good to make the ritual upgrade the normal Auric unit instead of making Auric Ascended directly. Auric Ascended should be unable to take any promotions, but should keep promotions he gained while mortal. Thematically, I'm thinking Auric should be a mage, but it might be appropriate for him to loose non-ice spell spheres upon upgrading. As a mortal he'd use Sun magic to escape the Shadowed Vale, but as a god the Ice sphere overwhelms him so he can't use other magic types anymore. I'm thinking that loosing the weaker Auric should also cost you your traits (I'd recommend using a <PythonPostCombatLost> function for all units that cost their civs their traits), and that Ascending should give them some extra traits.

All very nice.

Why? What's wrong with Barbatos? I'd prefer he stay in the game, but as a "big bad" result of exploring his lair. He should probably be even stronger than now, perhaps able to summon Wraiths immediately.

All very nice.

Nice, but I wish they still had UBs that provided other bonuses, like free xp.
    Nice, but War Equipment needs a better name.
    Why get rid of all guilds? I wasn't a fan of how they were implemented, but I certainly hope that you didn't do anything that would stop modders from adding their own.

I really think that Guild of Hammers needs to be called the Guild of Endeavors again.
    This is probably a good change, as the old effect never did that much. Courage grants immunity to this, I presume?

Fine, but I hope all the UUs have something special about them apart from just not needing a UB. Letting shamen build Barrows again could be cool.

Might be too much, but I just thought that letting Sons of Asena start with Subdue Animal would be nice. Who/what is Asena anyway?

Do wolves still turn to wolf packs on their own? I'm hoping they don't as that mechanism really weakened the Doviello world spell. I'd rather wolf packs be formed only though spells and have their strength based on the wolves' strength. Empower doesn't seem good enough. Something like Pikemen from AoI could be cool.

Nice. Can this overcome the permanent war option or the Illian ritual's permanent war though?
    Nice. I'm thinking we need a Satyr race too, as elven ad dwarven satyrs are weird. I'd probably say that the Mesmerize spell should be changed to require Satyr + subdue animal + maybe a level requirement. I also think that Satyrs need to be able to upgrade to Beastmasters, and have unique race based graphics with extremely large horns. (Giving them a Beastmaster-like upgrade would also be fine.
    All very nice.

Did you add Flexible Difficulty just for me? Thanks. Just how flexible is it? Just +/- one level, or a larger range. Sometimes going up/down two levels could be nice, but I'd hate to have the difficulty change every turn when I stay on top/bottom.

How much free xp are we talkin' here?
    May I assume that you borrowed (or wrote something similar to) Xienwolf's "master/slave" code that keeps track of who summoned what?

As I said earlier, I'd like to see Avatar made stronger by healing completely after combat. The Godslayer might need to be stronger too, or maybe changed to allow a spell directly damages Avatars almost completely.

All very nice. Skeletons to spectres doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, but secptres to wraith is quite nice.
    Nice. Do you still sacrifice angels on the Pyre? I've never really understood why you added such a thematically evil mechanism that really only the Mercurians can use. If there was a way to capture angels that would be a different story.
    Very nice.

I think the team GPP penalty should be removed too.
    nice

Nice, but don't the Illians need production too? Since their temple UB changes land to snow I really think their production could suffer badly. Now, that might be thematically ok for the civ of the stasis sphere, but I stil think they need at least +1 hammers from snow too.

The Doviello should get a similar bonus for tundra.
    I don't really like this. I prefer civics with stronger ups and downs. I actual increased the penalty in my version and made it give unhappiness too, but gave more happiness with more buildings and allowed gold rushing (since I really like having pop and gold rushing available at the same time). I was really wanting to make it grant more happiness from luxuries and unhappiness in cities lacking known luxuries, but that was above my coding ability.
    good.

I never liked the train Battlemaster spell, but I'm not sure how much better this is. I'm not sure what I think of the new synergy with slavery. I tend to think that the Doviello are the type who take no prisoners, and would think that the luxuries that having slaves work for you allows would lead to weakness.
    I don't like this change. I didn't like it when Hunters lost the promotions.

What is a Beatmaster without Subdue Beast? At the very least, Beastmasters, Satyrs, and Druids need to keep the promotions.

I'd be fine with reducing the change of capturing the animal or beast from 100 to as low as 50.

Very nice.

So, The Mithril Golem has the Avatar race instead of Golem now? How about Meshabber of Dis and The Avatar of Wrath? I remember both of those units being called Avatars in the past, but they are clearly a Golem and Demons too. I'm thinking Avatar should be a real "racial promotion," so these are not mutually exclusive. Auric Ascended could have both Avatar and Winterborn.

8. Shog-goth

Shog-goth Chieftain

A great mod becomes greater (well, nothing new :p).

I'd gladly pay for FFH rather than a lot of professional(?) games out there (someone says Colonization?).

You deserve all our respect, really...

9. avalonnn

avalonnn Chieftain

re: Marksman ability won't target units of different domains than the attacker (naval or air units) or 0 defense units (workers, etc).

Does this make Govannon (strength 0) immune to assassins? I can actually see that working.

Also, I kind of liked the mana erase aspect of the Amurite worldspell because I'm a noob and made errors in my choice of mana and sometimes was able to fix those errors before dispel magic.

10. MagisterCultuum

Govannon is not strength 0, he is strength 5. Corindale is strength 0. Xienwolf already pointed this out, and showed a simple change to allow targeting world units too. Kael might decide to change this.

Actually, I think he said 0 defense. In FF, that might mean that workers to take the right promotions are still targeted.

11. Nimbus

Nimbus Chieftain

I always thought this was a feature.

will this allow you to go past the national limit of 4 for high priests of winter?

how much xp?

what tech?

why? trait seems kinda weak now.

wasn't this trait strong enough already?

do their mages still get the xp from mana?

do elementals still gain the strong promotion?

I don't understand this one, can you explain, please

considering most cities could only get 1 anyways was this really that overpowered?

no bonus for Doviello on tundra, why?

will Mahala's trait still give her 1/2-price upgrades?

Thank You!

I agree, would be cool to give an ice synergy to Auric

maybe he could be buildable for the barbarians with KOTE?

12. Nor'easter

Nor'easter Chieftain

Not sure I agree. I think if Kael had meant +1 commerce, that's what he would have written, no? So I'm increasingly thinking that "+1 trade" could indeed mean "+1 trade routes."

If you think about it, +1 commerce on a tile is a pretty weak bonus -- as I mentioned in an earlier post, it's certainly not enough incentive for the Malakim to keep desert, which is supposed to be their native/favorite terrain. A Malakim player would be much better off upgrading the desert tiles and farming or cottaging them.

+1 trade routes, on the other hand, would be a major benefit -- no production, of course, but a significant increase in commerce.

Will be helpful to get clarification from the team on that.

13. Avahz Darkwood

Avahz Darkwood Chieftain

Correct me if I am wrong but weren't the seven pines removed from the world by the gods?

14. MagisterCultuum

The Seven Pines were removed by Junil, but this was well the Age of Rebirth. I personally think that making Sphenor be created by an event involving the Seven pines could be a good idea, but I'm not quite sure how it would work.

15. stp

stp Chieftain

Interesting, but it would give players another incentive to eliminate the Illians before Auric ascends. Perhaps one of the Illian rituals could add Ice mana nodes to the map like the rites of Oghma do. Then you have to decide to either kill the Illians early (no risk, but no reward) or let them perform a few rituals (Ice mana, but risk of Auric's ascension).

BTW, the changelog looks awesome.

16. Avahz Darkwood

Avahz Darkwood Chieftain

I hate to see the Dragon's Cult go away, it just seems to be a long time staple of FFH2 (though the removal of religion status did it in long before this)

17. Avahz Darkwood

Avahz Darkwood Chieftain

Has the Erebus Map script been updated to handle the Marshes and other map changes?

On that same subject do the dwarfs still starve on that map (another words do they get a food bonus or something)?

18. Darksaber1

Darksaber1 Secret Emperor

Dalek solve every problem :)

19. Broken Hawk

Broken Hawk Chieftain

How does a race differ from a civ? Are they barbs?

20. Xuenay

Xuenay Chieftain

I guess I'm the only one who thinks only the Illians having Ice mana is really cool (no pun intended). Makes it a bit more unique. (And that makes me think it'd be even more cool if there was only a small number of "common" mana types that you could harvest from mana nodes, and got the rest from wonders and palaces... and when you killed another civilization, you'd get their unique mana, giving you an extra incentive to go to war. :evil:)

This version looks very nice, in any case. Can't wait.

I agree with not liking the removal of Barbatos, though. He was a really cool feature.

MagisterCultuum: Um, instant healing after every battle for avatars? Why? That would remove the option of assembling an epic army for a desperate last-ditch battle against the Ascended Auric, throwing everything you have at him in a perhaps futile attempt to survive, with him slaughtering many legions of your forces but slowly being worn down... which is Epic And Coolness Incarnate.