Finger of God event

Another version of "crash to desktop" :-

General Strike; requires Vista, never obsolete. High probability, especially if game has not been saved recently.
Screen goes black except for message "Civilization 4 has stopped working"
Wait 5 minutes while Windows searches for solution, without finding one.

Possibility of happening in early modern age;

Alien invasion; New Civ spawns with all techs in the game +15 Future Techs. Builds all improvements 3x as fast. Acts as uniter for rest of world to band together and hope to kill them. Has unique unit Flying Saucer. Unique Building Probe Station.

Conditions: Early Modern Age reached by at least one civ. Game must not be full to capacity of 18 civs (Unless modified .dll comes into play).

Zombie Strike: Those damn zombies are trying to get our delicious brains! All cities on the planet without walls begin quick loss of population every turn (1). Those with walls with lose population at 1/4 per turn unless a random event destroys the wall. Options present themselves after 5 turns of chaos.

A) Launch a tactical battalion and establish a safe zone in your lowest population city. 35% to succeed in halting population destruction in that city.

B) RUN FOR YOUR LIVES! Forget the people, I will live! (Allow the zombies to continue eating people)

C) Ask for help as best you can. (60% chance the "Red Phones" are dead to the other leaders.)

Possibility of happening in early modern age;

Alien invasion; New Civ spawns with all techs in the game +15 Future Techs. Builds all improvements 3x as fast. Acts as uniter for rest of world to band together and hope to kill them. Has unique unit Flying Saucer. Unique Building Probe Station.

Conditions: Early Modern Age reached by at least one civ. Game must not be full to capacity of 18 civs (Unless modified .dll comes into play).

Alien Civ:- The Borg. Unique Building:- Gillette Stadium (Colloseum). Unique Unit #12 of 53# (a.k.a Bradycus)......resistance is futile........:eek: :eek: :mischief:

Some of these are pretty good, maybe someone should create a "ridiculous random event" mod. That would be fun.

I can't mod Civ 4 for anything, wish I could. I want to have a Real Earth Map Global Cooling Scenario to play. Have all the nations in their places on Earth and start out normal. Then introduce a cooling/progressive ice age into the mix, using the global warming script or make a new one based on longitude/latitude to slowly have the tundra, snow, and ice creep down from the North and up from the South. The objective is to survive. I'm talking cold, as in tundra and ice reaching down into Texas/North Africa and reaching up into South Africa and nearly covering Australia.. You as a country would HAVE to fight for the equator.

I think the current event system has already included a lot of "fingers of god" stuff.

Or tell me why half of the times I have an axe rush my copper mine has that mine event? Why not the other mines? Must be finger of god :crazyeye:

The 3500 BC Barbarian Axe/Archer/invincible-to-your-solitary-Warrior-guarded-city-before-you-have-any-standing-military stack is pretty much the Finger of God...:crazyeye:

But some other ideas...maybe a Stock Market Crash (after Corporation is discovered) where inflation and maintenance skyrockets, productivity is lowered, and the citizens become unhappier. Or a Worldwide Pandemic event after Flight where plague can spread across the world (chances of spread reduced if a Civ adopts Mercantilism or closes borders with nearby Civs).

Of course, the bad events already seem to far outweigh the good. Most games, it seems to average maybe 4-5 bad events to 1 good one.

Event:

Your state religion has fallen under the sway of a madman!

Effects:

All cities with your state religion have their populations reduced to 1 due to mass suicide.

All cities with your state religion gain a permanent +10% bonus to :science: due to the weeding out of all gullible idiots from the gene pool.

A Scientology Event would also be good. People join a massive cult that they spend money on and you're unable to tax them as they're a religion.

You lose 10% :commerce: per religion in the city or something and there's a 20% chance 1 pop dies because of them not being taken to therapy as they're all evil.

But you must have Free Speech, Free Market (perhaps) and/or Universal Suffrage (perhaps) enacted before this event takes place

A Scientology Event would also be good. People join a massive cult that they spend money on and you're unable to tax them as they're a religion.

You lose 10% :commerce: per religion in the city or something and there's a 20% chance 1 pop dies because of them not being taken to therapy as they're all evil.

But you must have Free Speech, Free Market (perhaps) and/or Universal Suffrage (perhaps) enacted before this event takes place

Screw that, in my Civilization Religions will be taxed heavily as they'll fall under the entertainment sector just like other fantasies.

Great Depression- loss of commerce and gold.

Plate Tectonics (sp) Spilt- The continent splits in half 1 water tile in the divide

Tesla DeathRay Factory Completed- vacuum tube powered light intensifier plant that vaporizes planes and ships in a 6 tile radius.

When I read about Random Events on the internet, before I bought BtS, I thought it was going to be more like in Alpha Centauri. Alpha Centauri sometimes had crazy things happening, Volcanos rising and such. I agree that more visual representation of these things should happen. At the same time, in Alpha Centauri it never happened to me that my capital was destroyed by a volcano, but I saw it happen to opponents, giant masses of land coming up suddenly and wiping half of someone's kingdom. Maybe if it had happened to me I'd be glad it's not in Civ IV... Bottomline for me is that the random events are kind of weird in Civ IV, they mostly end up being political things, nothing greatly affecting your country or your land.

I think that Firaxis didn't wanted to ear complaints of "events are OP, man! [pissed] ".... I also thought that events would be more gamebreaking as well...

P:s I remember having my capital being smacked by a meteor in SMAC.... :mad: :lol:

I like the lose 'x' due to religious fanatics.

How about plague is rumored to have spread in city "A". You have open borders with that civ. Your choice is 1- leave borders open and have 80% chance of plague spreading to each city 2- close borders for a 30% chance of spread 3- declare martial law closing all borders and eliminate all trade route income 5% of plague spread. Any plague spread kills half the population of the city.

"You have been kidnapped by ninjas! Until the Bad Dudes come and resuce you, not much is happening."

Can't move units or change civics, but any units with previous orders follow them.

"An alien spaceship has crash landed in your territory, you send your best scientists to investigate."

Possible outcomes-

They push a button and activate self destruct. A random square in your territory is blown up like a nuke hit it, but without the global warming.

Gain a free technology.

Discover evidence of an impending alien invasion and start using the technology from the crash to build counters to it. Every civ enters into a permanent allicance, new buildings and units become available, and alien invasion forces arrive in 50 turns. Game length is extended.

"An alien spaceship has crash landed in your territory, you send your best scientists to investigate."

Possible outcomes-

They push a button and activate self destruct. A random square in your territory is blown up like a nuke hit it, but without the global warming.

Gain a free technology.

Discover evidence of an impending alien invasion and start using the technology from the crash to build counters to it. Every civ enters into a permanent allicance, new buildings and units become available, and alien invasion forces arrive in 50 turns. Game length is extended.

I think this one would work great with no options, and the effects of the first two both happening or having a chance to happen. Alien ship crash lands on some random tile, and any improvement or forest on it is destroyed. Your only option is some chance, say 33% just for giggles, of gaining a free tech. Alternately, you could have the option of putting the newfound knowledge to peaceful (free tech) or military use, which would give all your air units Range I free, or gunpowder units (or some subset thereof) free Drill I.

On the ninjas, I don't think being unable to do anything for a few turns adds fun to the game.

Back to Nature: requires Environmentalism.
All your workers begin to destroy tile improvements: forests transformed into Preserves. Workers cannot be commanded or deleted until 5 turns after you have changed to another civic.

Luddites: requires newly-built Factory.
The factory is destroyed.

Drug Baron Quest: Modern and Future eras; at least 2 undeveloped Jungle tiles anywhere on the map.
Effect: random cities begin to lose health, production and gold.
Action required: build at least 6 jails and 3 Intelligence Agencies for a 10% chance per turn of revealing the drug baron's headquarters; each additional 2 jails and 1 agency add another 10% chance. To destroy the headquarters, occupy the tile with a Spy, a Scout or Explorer, and a military unit (infantry or better): occupation of a tile not known to be the headquarters causes the headquarters to be moved to another suitable tile, if one exists.
(And what if the headquarters turns out to be in another civ's land ? Open Borders, or war, or just suffer).

Chlorophage: modern or future era.
Effect: a mutated virus which consumes chlorophyll appears in a tile (not desert, tundra, ice or peak) and destroys the vegetation there. If not stopped, the infection spreads exponentially (first turn after appearance by 1 tile, second turn 2, then 4, 8 and so on): will not spread across desert etc.
Cure: nuclear attack on infected tiles.

Top Bottom