1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

First Look: India (Gandhi)

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by hugojackson18, Aug 30, 2016.

1. Martinus

Martinus Emperor

Loosely speaking, Dharma means "duty", "path" or "calling" and essentially means whatever you are supposed to do in your life. So I can see this being interpreted here as a belief that each individual should follow the religion they are called to, thus none of them being enforced on others.

2. MrRadar

MrRadar Emperor

it's "satyagraha", a form of non-violent resistance

3. migalhone

migalhone Monarch wannabe

Ohh that's a nice catch. Thanks!

4. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Benelovent Chieftain of the BearKingdom

The UI provides base yield of extra Housing and Food. If there's Farms nearby, it gets bonus Food, if there's Holy District nearby, it gets faith.

It's an adjacency bonust similiar to how The Sphinx gets boost from Wonders and The Chateau from Luxuries and Wonders too.

And I don't see why you shouldn't get happiness penalty/extra war weariness when being in war with Gandhi. It would encourage you to quickly wrap up your war or something along those lines, even if he initiated it.

But it's likely that Gandhi will be flavored to rarely go unless absolutely necessary to war.

5. Inhalaattori

Inhalaattori Emperor

I like that the peaceful stuff is mostly connected to Gandhi.

I think Indias UA is really interesting, because in CIV VI we have religious combat. It seems as India you should not necessarily build Inquisitors? But if you want to win religious victory dont you kind of have to? From game play perspective Indias UA seems kind of weird.

6. Cyon

Cyon Cosmonaut

Do Religions have only one follower beliefs or two? If two then India is very powerful!

7. Martinus

Martinus Emperor

Actually, as I said before, India has a lot of bonuses around faith, but seems to be build precisely on the concept opposing (or at least not encouraging) founding of own religion - it's like the Free Religion civic in Civ 4, which encouraged you to allow as many religions as possible to spread to your Civ.

Given that faith remains relevant in Civ 6 throughout the game as a way to rush Great People, it seems to me that the strategy for India is to lead a peaceful, Great People-oriented civ, and then win either a science or a cultural victory (if, like Civ 5, sharing a religion helps spread your culture, it is an extra "hidden" bonus for India).

This is a very interesting set of abilities, that does not make India a one trick pony.

8. robincox

robincox Warlord

As a very peaceful player, Im very excited about India. Now other civs will think one more time before attacking me, so I can build my empire in peace. Love it!

9. m15a

m15a Emperor

(Can't we all just put a little effort into spelling leaders names correctly? Even just in the title of threads? Pretty please?)

I'm glad they figured out some way to represent India as having multiple religions. And faith has multiple uses, so being focused on the faith yield is probably valuable in a variety of games. Stepwells have multiple uses, too.

I agree India doesn't sound so exciting to play at first, but might be fun when I feel like focusing on faith or just getting large cities.

10. Werewolflord

Werewolflord Chieftain

thank's, I just figured it out a couple minutes ago when i realized i could enable subtitles...

11. bite

bite Unofficial Civilization Cartographer Moderator

Moderator Action: India video threads merged

12. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Deity

I think people are assuming that India should go for a religious victory since their UA is so heavily focused on religion. But a UA that encourages cities to have multiple religions goes against the goals of a religious victory. I am thinking that India does not have to go for a religious victory and can instead take advantage of the religious beliefs to get bonuses that help them towards a different victory (science?).

13. stealth_nsk

stealth_nsk Deity

We don't know yet. In the preview video we've only seen one, but we didn't see apostles and other late-game things.

Science or cultural. Funny thing is - India has no bonuses to those victories, it just has penalties for other ones :)

14. Martinus

Martinus Emperor

Precisely, and with the Gandhi's ability and the Stepwells it should be raking in Faith, allowing it to rush Great People like there is no tomorrow.

15. Brutus2

Brutus2 Prince

So if you're going for a religious victory with India you want your religion to dominate in other civilization's cities to meet the victory conditions but in your own cities you're fine with other religions moving in?

I guess that's ok since it should be easier to flip your own cities back to your religion after another one moves in as long as it doesn't happen so quickly to the point that you completely loose the ability to generate missionaries of your own religion.

16. Martinus

Martinus Emperor

I would disagree it doesn't have bonuses towards these - it has one passive bonus discouraging other players from attacking it, and it gets faith generation which means more great people. I think it is actually very flexible and fun, allowing it to adjust, depending on what follower bonuses it managed to get from other religions (as opposed to a situation where it would be getting just a straightforward science or culture bonus).

17. ashvin.l

ashvin.l ITendToLoseALot

Karma actually means duty. Dharma has multiple meanings. In colloquial sense, Dharma means religion. In the true sense of the word (as in if we go back 2000 years ago), dharma loosely means Order.

18. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

When Fully developed they have

1 Founder
    1 Follower
    1 "Building"..for the 3rd building in the Holy Site
    1 "Enhancer" to help their spread

(and civs each have 1 Pantheon)

19. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Benelovent Chieftain of the BearKingdom

Actually we do know.

There are four belief types.

When founding a religion, you pick one Follower belief, and one of the following belief types

Worship, Founder and Enhancer.

Apostles grant you an ability to add one of the other two unpicked belief types, and another Apostled (you need 3) grants you an ability to pick the last unpicked belief type, so each religion has a Worship, Founder, Follower and Enhancer beliefs.

Worship is the house of god thingy (Cathedrals, Wats, Synagogues etc),

Follower is a bonus to each city it spreads (extra housing, faith from wonders etc)

Founder is a bonus that gives the Founder extra bonuses (2 gold per each city following)

and the Enhancer helps in someway with the spread of religion. (cheaper missionaries, no terrain penalties for religious units etc).

20. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Deity

Well, but to win a religious victory, you still need your own cities to be a majority of your religion. So, yes, you want other religions to move in to get their bonuses, but not to the point of becoming dominant. Winning a religious victory as India means you need to make sure that other religions remain a minority in your cities.