First Look: India (Gandhi)

Well, unfortunately India is the first Civ that just sounds very dull to play (imo).

Unsurprising though considering I've never really found India to be super interesting in Civ. At least Gandhi looks like he has some charisma this time unlike Civ V where he basically looked like a statue

We don't know yet. In the preview video we've only seen one, but we didn't see apostles and other late-game things.

Science or cultural. Funny thing is - India has no bonuses to those victories, it just has penalties for other ones :)

I think we know. There are only 7 follower beliefs total, and you choose one when founding a religion, so each religion will have one.

But go check them. We don't know how hard it will be to let other religions to your cities, but getting one follower probably shouldn't be that hard. If you are lucky and have two religions nearby, you can have 3 follower beliefs, which is really huge.

So if you're going for a religious victory with India you want your religion to dominate in other civilization's cities to meet the victory conditions but in your own cities you're fine with other religions moving in?

I guess that's ok since it should be easier to flip your own cities back to your religion after another one moves in as long as it doesn't happen so quickly to the point that you completely loose the ability to generate missionaries of your own religion.

I don't think it's good idea to go for religious victory as India. Religious pressure will be your enemy as your religion will press your cities from all sides and foreign religions will press from your cities.

Gandhi's Ability - For each civ, India has met that has founded a religion, and is not at war, India gets a significant boost in faith. Opposing Civs suffer penalties in happiness/amenities when waring with India.

India's Ability - Recieve the benefits of follower beliefs from any religions present in the city.

Unique Unit - Varu - Reducsed strength of adjacent enemy units.

Unique Improvement Stepwell - Provides Bonus Faith and Housing, Extra Food from adjacent Farms, and bonus faith from adjacent Holy Districts.

Well, turns out Ghandi's UA is basically what i had pictured in another thread. Didnt see the positive effect when not at war coming though

overall a nice interesting set of UA\UI\UU

Karma actually means duty. Dharma has multiple meanings. In colloquial sense, Dharma means religion. In the true sense of the word (as in if we go back 2000 years ago), dharma loosely means Order.

I think Dharma means both order and (on a personal level) duty, while karma is more like debt (which I guess can also be interpreted as duty). But I guess the ability name works in both cases. :)

We don't know yet. In the preview video we've only seen one, but we didn't see apostles and other late-game things.

Science or cultural. Funny thing is - India has no bonuses to those victories, it just has penalties for other ones :)

Actually India should be really good for a domination victory (assuming the bonus war weariness applies to civs that you declared war on)

because
1-war weariness, making it easier for your units to fight them
2-when you capture their cities, that gives you access to different religions, other holy cities

(you lose the bonus faith which is a minus, but those are two good plusses)

So only one bonus per religion.
But if you can juggle the timing of which religion is dominant at different times in a city you can build multiple faith houses. Or has the Holy site only room for one faith building? That would be boring.

Actually India should be really good for a domination victory (assuming the bonus war weariness applies to civs that you declared war on)

because
1-war weariness, making it easier for your units to fight them
2-when you capture their cities, that gives you access to different religions, other holy cities

(you lose the bonus faith which is a minus, but those are two good plusses)

I think if india focus on conquering civ which have not founded a religion is better first to keep having the faith bonus, and when there is not more left, well, it will be nuke time i guess.

But if you can juggle the timing of which religion is dominant at different times in a city you can build multiple faith houses. Or has the Holy site only room for one faith building? That would be boring.

Faith building is Worship believe, not Follower.

Only room for 1 'faith house'... (I think they wanted to minimize the "Juggling")

Can someone - please - correct the typo in the thread title. It's still "Gandhi", no matter how often it's misspelled.

Moderator Action: Fixed.

So India's UA and Ghandi's UA both are religious. So there is a high chance his agenda is as well.

Does that mean if you don't build a holy site and you meet Ghandi, he will lose his mind and attack you?

Makes sense. He gets bonuses for peace with civs with Religions.

So if you lack one, you are the only one he can attack.

Not my favorite civ. It sounds like you don't have much control over your abilities. And imposing penalties to the enemies may not be that useful if they cheat.

Well, but to win a religious victory, you still need your own cities to be a majority of your religion. So, yes, you want other religions to move in to get their bonuses, but not to the point of becoming dominant. Winning a religious victory as India means you need to make sure that other religions remain a minority in your cities.

Right, that's why I also said it shouldn't be too hard to flip your own cities back again after another religion moves in as long as the other religion doesn't become dominate in all of your cities too quickly.

I don't like this India at all but I suspect it might have to do with my lack of excitement for Gandhi. Also: what's up with his monster head and hands?

I like the way India's peaceful, tolerant religious emphasis contrasts with Spain's aggressive religious emphasis. Well done, Firaxis. I'm a bit disappointed that there is no overt bonus to trade, which is something I associate with India since it has been historically a great trading hub, but all the faith pouring in should help with rapid Great Person production and that can be steered in all sorts of directions. Religious victory actually seems one of the least likely to me.

Regarding the unique unit, I wasn't quite clear what was meant by lowering the strength of
adjacent enemy units. Does that mean before combat (because they're scared by the sight of the elephants) or only during combat? If the former, does that mean that a melee unit next to the elephant could attack and get the benefit of the lowered strength?

Top Bottom