First Look: India (Gandhi)

We don't know which one is UA and which is LUA. Also, bonus faith comes from those civs who found a religion.

Pros: It's quite cool to have civ focused not on founding religions, but on having different ones.

Cons: I don't think it's that interesting to play passive religion game. Usually if I invest in religion I want to found one.

Cons: Both abilities are passive.

So far, India looks like the least interesting civ to play to me.

Yes we know. it was said in the video.

Gandhi's Ability - For each civ, India has met that has founded a religion, and is not at war, India gets a significant boost in faith. Opposing Civs suffer penalties in happiness/amenities when waring with India.

India's Ability - Recieve the benefits of follower beliefs from any religions present in the city.

india's ability name is dharma, i don't understand the name of the leader ability. And the varu ability seems to be reduced strength for each adjacent varu, the more you have the more your ennemies will have penalties

Pros: It's quite cool to have civ focused not on founding religions, but on having different ones.

Cons: I don't think it's that interesting to play passive religion game. Usually if I invest in religion I want to found one.

It is true that passive abilities tend to be less interesting. However, it is an interesting reversal to have a civ that will actually want other civs to convert their cities. Usually, civs fight to stop their cities getting converted to a foreign religion. India will actually play nice with Spain.

I corrected some stuff in my post. Faith from other civ part and war weariness is the LUA, follower belief from other Religion is the UA for the civ. Which means that any future alt leader keeps the juicy part of the bonus.

India is interesting - faith oriented civ but one not geared towards religious victory, it reminds me a lot of the Free Religion civic from Civ4. I guess India is geared towards any victory that is peaceful and relies on great people.

india's ability name is dharma, i don't understand the name of the leader ability. And the varu ability seems to be reduced strength for each adjacent varu, the more you have the more your ennemies will have penalties

There doesn't seem to be a clear definition but it appears to be interpreted loosely here as maybe seeing the truth in all religions / all religions being one?

India's color is a bit...visually awkward to me.

The focus on religion sounds very interesting, encouraging you to explore the map and meet as many Civs as possible.

Not sure what the UI can provide: bonus faith OR bonus food, or both?

So i go to war against Ghandi and i get extra unhapiness? What if Ghandi's the attacker and i'm helping an ally in a defensive war?

Maybe i'm misunderstanding things, but should that extra unhappiness trigger even if Ghandi's the attacker? Doesn't it make more sense if it's only valid when Ghandi is attacked?

I'm liking this Ghandi! I understand the boni... But can you win a religious victory even if there are followers of other religions right?

IIRC your religion has to be the most dominant, in every Civ. So yes, you can win a religious victory even if there are followers of other religions.

Ok, so the most interesting part of India ability (aside from UI) is bonus from different religions. It looks similar to Indonesia Candi from Civ5 (although bonuses were much less), so did anyone tried any sane strategy to maximize number of religions in each city? Does it work?

We don't know which one is UA and which is LUA. Also, bonus faith comes from those civs who found a religion.

Yes, we've seen it in let's plays.

Actually their ability has a strong active component... in the sense you found your own religion.... and then try to spread others into your cities.

Basically
1. found my religion
2. find the other founders and make peace/open borders/invite their missionaries in
3. use missionaries/apostles/trade routes* to spread foreign religions in my cities (hopefully there will be a way to do that that isn't too micromanagey/expensive)

But #2 is the diplo active part
#3 is the late game part (maybe after you conquered those religion's holy cities)

Also, if religion still travels on trade routes, there is a good way to get other religions in your cities... Trade routes, every single one of your cities should have a trade route to a city with a different religion than itself. (that guarantees ~2 religions in cities with commercial hub, 3 in those with commercial hub and harbor)

*trade routes from high pop cities seem to be the best way to get multi religions in a city

It would be interesting (not necessarily for a Gandhi player) if you could gain control of a religion (at least for the purposes of the Victory) by seizing the Holy City.

I'm hoping that India not being geared towards founding religions so much as collecting them means Arabia or Sumer will get a religious bent to them.

Also no reason to not fund your own religion, you just don't need it to dominate and be first with it. I think India will not be best at religious victory but rather use religion as a mean to an end.

It's actually a turbo charged Byzantium with Indonesia Candi building combined, you can have a lots of bonus beliefs without risking not getting anything like Byzantium if you buy found one your self.

India's color is a bit...visually awkward to me.

The focus on religion sounds very interesting, encouraging you to explore the map and meet as many Civs as possible.

Not sure what the UI can provide: bonus faith OR bonus food, or both?

So i go to war against Ghandi and i get extra unhapiness? What if Ghandi's the attacker and i'm helping an ally in a defensive war?

Maybe i'm misunderstanding things, but should that extra unhappiness trigger even if Ghandi's the attacker? Doesn't it make more sense if it's only valid when Ghandi is attacked?

The colors are the same as the Kavithan Protectorate in BE, if that means anything to you.

India and Ghandi is the first civ I'm underwhelmed by...I'm also not at all surprised by this, as I've never cared for the representation of India in any iteration of civ.

Edit: Also something about that leader head is jarring.

Thank the lords India is heavily religion focused! :D

Here's Gandhi - I personally don't really like his design all too much, and the way he is animated reminds me a bit of a hippie.
One thing to note, however, is his darker skin color. I think this is the darkest skin color in Civ VI so far, and one of the darkest skin colors he's been represented in Civilization games (very similar to Civ I, quite the contrast with, say, Civ IV)

Unfortunately, again, no Civ Icon, and the color scheme (while surprisingly enjoyable to look at) doesn't really help me identify what it could possibly be.

As for India, I LOVE IT! :D I've been really wanting to have an India that was a heavy religion player, instead of just being based on overpopulation, and Firaxis delivered!
Their uniques seem really interesting, both with taking other religion's founder beliefs (wow!) and gaining extra faith with each other leader you are peaceful with and founded a religion.

The only issue I might have with this is that there doesn't seem to be a bonus to founding early religion. Though there's two things I'm not aware of: 1. the tech that unlocks Stepwells - if it is an early one, you can get the extra faith produced by them to faith buy a Great Prophet and 2. the extra faith from other leaders - it won't allow you to be the first to found a religion, but it will help you get enough faith to faith-buy a Great Prophet as more religions are founded (as long as you meet the other players)

Overall, I'm happy with this civilization, and I can't wait to play as them! :D

Top Bottom