football thread No11

Looks like Argentina is at least securing the playoff spot for now...Ecuador started winning the game, but 2 goals from Messi have turned things around...Elsewhere it seems that teams are being way to careful as the other important matches (Brazil vs Chile, Peru vs Colombia) are 0-0...

Paulinho scores for Brazil!

Uh the US are down 2-0 but both Panama and Honduras are also losing

Brazil score again, giving Peru the playoff spot on goal difference, assuming all current results stand.

I guess Australia will be happy to face Panama iso USA in the play offs...

Colombia score in Lima! Chile back in for the playoff spot.

I guess Australia will be happy to face Panama iso USA in the play offs...

I think I'd rather the troll value of playing the US. America plays weird sports so we don't get to have a rivalry with them in anything.

Messi scores again right after the radio commentator says he's not up to the same form as in the first half (to his credit, he acknowledged it).

Peru score, they're back on the playoff spot and Colombia takes the last place for now, assuming it ends 1-1.

Paraguay collapse at home losing 0-1 at home to Venezuela… I don't understand how they win their away games, big matches, and lose to the same teams at home.

And Brazil score again. 3-0

Brazil 3 -0 Chile
Paraguay
0 - 1 Venezuela
Uruguay 4 - 2 Bolivia
Ecuador
1 - 3 Argentina
Peru 1 - 1 Colombia

Peru seems like the best opponent NZ could have hoped for?

Chile is out...Unbelievably disappointing for the South American champions...

Panamá tied the game (On a huge blunder by the refs, btw)...As things stand, the US is going to the playoff and Honduras is beating Mexico and qualifying to the WC...

Oh wow

SCENES in CONCACAF

Chile is out...Unbelievably disappointing for the South American champions...
They asked CONMEBOL/FIFA to award them a match they'd drawn against Bolivia. Which ended up entailing Peru were awarded a match they had lost to Bolivia. So, 2 points for Chile, 3 for Peru… and Chile miss out by one point.

Brazil have scored an impressive 12-5-1, the second-best performance since the South American qualification became round-robin in '95.

I think this is definitely the low point for the US men since I've been following the sport. An own-goal against a team we should have maimed, in a game that shouldn't have made any difference anyway. Soccer/football is the analogy people use for "sometimes you have to go backward to progress", but there would have be a stunning turnaround - some kind of unexpected "Golden Generation" - by the next qualifying tournament to retrospectively justify this level of ineptitude. I don't see even a hint of a silver lining.

Anyone understands this new "UEFA Nations League"? I don't get how this new league impacts qualification to the Euro 2020...

The 4 best teams in the UEFA NL get automatically qualified for the Euro. Then 20 teams are qualified normally.

Edit : to be more precise, everyone will play the qualifiers normally, with 20 teams qualified. The 4 last teams to be qualified will be the teams who did best in the UEFA NL but didn't qualify.

Edit 2 : scrap that it's more complicated than that

Edit 3 : I think I understand it, but if I'm right then it's the stupidest thing I ever saw. Way to destroy a good idea.

Last edited:
Top Bottom