1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Foreign Policy: Apolyton

Discussion in 'Team CivFanatics' started by talonschild, Jul 29, 2012.

1. Maga_R

Maga_R Has quit civ

I really do not think it is a good idea to talk to our allies like that :(

2. 2metraninja

2metraninja Defender of Nabaxica

Actually, I am quite soft on this issue. Normally I would had changed way harsher tone/actions and even dropping Poly and CP as allies. This with the German lands is game shaping mistake. Both him and ot4e did it. Not to mention the NAPs they made with French.

And things must be told straight now, not when already under fire and you relying on your comrade to cover your back.

3. Maga_R

Maga_R Has quit civ

Ok, so I will say it last time and will be silent forever. I am afraid we will lose this game by diplomacy. By acting arrogant and offending people left and right. So far, RB's diplomacy was near perfect, even though their situation was very difficult as a score leader.

I am afraid some people may dislike us so much that they will not help us /listen to our advice even when it is in their in-game interests :-( Of course I hope I am wrong - so no beer bets.

4. 2metraninja

It is not something new to say that diplomacy will decide the winner of the game. I said it liek 10 times on different occasions already that the game will be won or lost on the negotiations table and not on the battlefield.

CP and Poly did not listened to us, because they did not believed RB will attack Germans and because MZ prefered to build Universities instead of axes, not because they dont like us. And they made a mistake by not listening to us. They must realize it. So they listen to us next time. It is absolutely straight-forward.

Other team who did not listened to us (and again suffer now because of this) is Germans. But they did not listened to us not because we treated them wrong and they dont like us, but because they preferred to believe this is not the light of the train coming their way. The "could not happen exactly to me" syndrome.

5. 2metraninja

Just as good ally, MZ told me this:

6. 2metraninja

Besides the excellent intel MZ gave us, he asked me if we are willing to help him slow the RB advancement in Germans lands. He asked us to pillage roads behind the German cities RB takes after the culture collapses. He said he have units there doing just the same :)

What you think about this? It is not breaking any of the things we promised to RB.

7. YossarianLives

YossarianLives Deity

I say yes. I already told Scooter in chat (jokingly) that we were going to return the favor and assist whoever they go to war with.

8. 2metraninja

:) Good.

9. bistrita

bistrita Warlord

i would not pillage roads , its to cheap but some nice towns, oh yeah.:lol:

10. 2metraninja

Yeah, I was thinking the same :)

11. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd I'll sit with you

Why not? RB is openly helping SpAp against us... And there are no illusions about what happens after the NAP. Plus it gives us a chance to help Poly and build a good working cooperation relationship... However.

RB has been trying to figure out who our allies are... Doing something like this definitely helps them.

12. Aivoturso

Aivoturso King

Well, you'll have to pillage the towns to get down to the roads anyway :) I say, go for it. For both roads and the towns. RB has been very careful about following only the letter of our deal. IMO it is time to return the favour.

13. YossarianLives

YossarianLives Deity

I think bistrita's and 2metra's only hesitation is that we should concentrate on pillaging the tiles that will give us the most return. I don't think they're concerned about us betraying RB. Poly is probably thinking that pillaging roads will be most damaging because it will slow the RB advance, but denying them the extra commerce from mature towns is probably a lot more damaging long term. I mean, the Germans aren't going to be able to get anything in their cities that will stop RB just because we've delayed the advance a turn or two.

Scooter says that RB razed the city because it was poorly placed. Our scouting chariot should be able to confirm this when we log in next. If this is correct, then we need to act fast, as I suspect they'll have a Settler there immediately ready to re-settle the city wherever they want it. If they had captured the city, then we would at least have had as much time as the city was in revolt to pillage the tiles around it.

14. 2metraninja

Yes, they razed Alamo. It showed well on the map. We see the ruins. Not sure why - maybe Ot4e had unit nearby and we see those ruins because we exchanged maps recently.

Our chariot is nearby the other city RB took. Too bad we did not thought about this earlier and send 2-3 more :)

Good point Sommers to showing our allies we are serious and cooperative and we mean business.

15. YossarianLives

YossarianLives Deity

Apolyton sent this message yesterday:

16. 2metraninja

Quite interesting chat I just had with MZ of Apolyton:

Most important part for me is that MZ says that he is not sure whichever will be best for them and he does not exclude the variant where we dont go against RB as agreed till now.

17. 2metraninja

More:

18. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd I'll sit with you

Most important thing to me is that MZ says without any hesitation that WE ARE NOT ALLIES with them. To me this is the most important statement of entire chat.

19. Maga_R

Maga_R Has quit civ

And that our war with CivFr substantially lessens his enthusiasm for RB dogpile. Difficult not to agree with this point :(

20. Aivoturso

Aivoturso King

Well, we never signed any alliance pact with Poly nor did we with CP. So he is correct that technically we only have NAP.