Fragile Peace

Moriarte

Immortal
https://www.channelnewsasia.com/new...anctions-cover-up--hearing-adjourned-11009956

Meng Wanzhou, CFO of Huawei, was arrested in Canada on December 1, the day Trump and Xi marked a 90-day halt to trade wars.

US prosecutors insist that she should be held accountable for Huawei's evasion of Iran sanctions in the past and will likely demand extradition to US during the next 60 days.

China summoned the Canadian ambassador to protest the detention of a top executive, calling it "unreasonable, unconscionable, and vile in nature" and warning of "grave consequences" if she is not released.

Will this escalate China-US conflict to a new level and send ripples across economies? Is it likely she is going to be released, become bargaining chip on a China-US trade table?

Will the latest round of talks bring about new quality of relationships between US and China, or is it just a pit stop to reshuffle the cards and both will be at each other's throats once the clock runs out?

Well I expect that the Chinese will arrest a Canadian business person but they will say it is nothing to do with Meng Wanzhou.

Well I expect that the Chinese will arrest a Canadian business person but they will say it is nothing to do with Meng Wanzhou.

"The glass is very clean but you should wash it anyway."

"So you gave me a dirty glass."

"The glass is very clean but you should wash it anyway."

I have no idea. My initial assessment is that it's probably shameless, but what do I actually know? Very little. I was just thinking that your prediction was informed by at least passing familiarity with the culture and the politics of the thing.

She's out on bail.

Given that the arrest was related to sanctions, which are by definition politically motivated economic violence against innocent civilians of a foreign nation I fail to see how the whole affair can ever be seen as anything but political. So of course it's hostage taking. But so what?

China, as a sovereign state, has no need to observe US sanctions on our trading partners. If this subjects our citizens to targeted kidnapping from the Five Eyes, then we will escalate accordingly. The talk from both sides of "this arrest is not related to..." is just plausible deniability, nothing more.

We will continue to be at each others' throats because this is what Trump wants. So long as he and the "attack China-first" faction of the US Deep State hold power, this nonsense will continue. Any "pauses" are tactical, hoping to see if the other side will offer more concessions, or to ensure the domestic economy is not too unduly damaged.

The arrest was in motion before Assclown crapped his pants with his mouth per usual. But generally aiding authoritarian jackassery is what he does. So now we've tripled it. Malignant tumors of the world unite!

It is my understanding that americans are angry at Trump because they only support their government taking on countries they can bully and not those that can actually hit back.

It is my understanding that americans are angry at Trump because they only support their government taking on countries they can bully and not those that can actually hit back.

Taking on small ones is reasonable, yes, but does America have a choice this time? China is a fast growing "challenger" superpower, yielding 6% annual GDP growth, 4x the population of US, with adequate army and plans for world domination, although in subtle, economic way. Even more importantly, ideologically, it is a hostile environment, because world corps can't project nearly as much power over there as they are allowed to at home. It is also obvious that the Chinese dare to offer an alternative to the development model, which is universally understood and used across the western world and beyond.

The crisis wasn't born last year too. There are few conflicts brewing along the busy shipping lanes of South-China and East-China seas, where China expands, while US challenges. The volcano was bound to erupt one day, it only took Trump to make it official. Trump apparatus was right: If you keep picking on Russia, there isn't much to be had, and if anything could be haggled out of it is under the risk of nuclear war. So, China is a natural enemy: rich in resources and markets, ideologically hostile, totalitarian to an extent, behaves boldly on it's borders. It's as convenient enemy as USSR was.

What US Deep State and what "attack China first" wing of it.

The us cannot realistically win against iran (i dont mean just attack its army). There is no ability to escalate anything against china. Thing is, unlike euro imperial powers, china actually invests in foreign countries and is there with more viable business plans.

Taking on small ones is reasonable, yes,
If by reasonable you mean utterly evil and imperialistic.

but does America have a choice this time?
I would actually say no and for the same reasons you mention. With the caveat that if I had to chose between the two I'd actually rather take China as the world hegemon as they seem to be content to exploit without trying to meddle in the internal politics of their victims.

The arrest was in motion before Assclown crapped his pants with his mouth per usual. But generally aiding authoritarian jackassery is what he does. So now we've tripled it. Malignant tumors of the world unite!

Yes, I tend to favour the cock-up rather than the conspiracy theory.

When your chief executive is a windowlicker whose dumps can be timed by twitter, rule of law gets hard to practice downhill. I'm pretty easy though. I have almost as high an opinion of The Middle Kingdom's executives as I have of president of The Americans.

Sorry Canada, clowns to the left of me jokers to the right...

With the caveat that if I had to chose between the two I'd actually rather take China as the world hegemon as they seem to be content to exploit without trying to meddle in the internal politics of their victims.

Except they do meddle in the internal politics of their victims. They are just more subtle about it.

I don't even understand the rest of your post. :confused:

My understanding is that Canada was legally required to arrest her.

When your chief executive is a windowlicker whose dumps can be timed by twitter, rule of law gets hard to practice downhill. I'm pretty easy though. I have almost as high an opinion of The Middle Kingdom's executives as I have of president of The Americans.
I don't even understand the rest of your post. :confused:

My understanding is that Canada was legally required to arrest her.

I'm here to help! :)

1. "Windowlicker" is a politically incorrect term. Imagine you're driving a car and in the (school) bus in front of you is a kid in the back row licking the window, largely as a causal function of them being... debilitatingly challanged in their development.
That's a windowlicker. By which FB means Trump.

2. "whose dumps can be times by twitter"
FB plays with two thoughts here: For one what Trump says may, by opponents, generally be considered feces, metaphorically of course. So he'd be defecating with his mouth. For another one might easily be tempted to speculate that Trumps tweeting corresponds to his completely unmetaphorical bowel movements, which may in turn be problematic owing to his dubious diet. I.e. he may be tweeting while using the lavatory and thus his lavatory use may be deduced by some sort of analysis of the timeline of his tweets. Supposedly (ignoring aides tweeting for him - obviously it doesn't work. It's a joke.)

3. The Middle Kingdom is China, as i suppose you already knew and didn't need me to tell you.

4. FB is making sublimely precise use of letters in the term "president of The Americans", thus disowning Trump politically and, such is his view i assume, patriotically.
The "p" is small to indicate that we are talking about another presidency here, not that of the United States, which would warrant capitalisation.
For he's not calling him president of Americans, but of The Americans.
Here FB is refering to the eponymous Soviet operatives of said TV show.

There's problems with that, seeing how The Americans are quite competent.
But in a rant, two lines long with such high meme-voltage, compromises have to be made as i am sure we can all appreciate.​

In any event, with the proper terms filled in i am sure you'll find FB's meaning to be intuitive and in fact rather agreeable and unspectacular.

At your service, metatron, explaining the proverbial significance of the actual Wash and the supposed loss of the crown jewels to fiercely patriotic Brexiteers since 2017.

Last edited:
Top Bottom