Friday's PAX talk (with overview)

Can't find either in the stream.

Hi The_J:
I can confirm the second one about "Fall of Rome" scenario. It's in the last a few sentences of the interview, right after the introduction of Medieval scenario

The change to 100 hit points sounds great :D

Offtopic: When Greg goes zombie mode the camera man should have zoomed in on Dennis. Maybe it's just me, but it really annoyed me - sound and no video worked better for me :)

Wait, wait... this sounds great but... Carthage can cross mountains and Incas can't? Really?

Wait, wait... this sounds great but... Carthage can cross mountains and Incas can't? Really?

This! Hannibal may have crossed the Pyrenees and the Alps once, but the Inca dealt with the Andes - The Andes - on a daily basis... Go figure...

But I didn't like this cross mountains thing anyway...

Hi The_J:
I can confirm the second one about "Fall of Rome" scenario. It's in the last a few sentences of the interview, right after the introduction of Medieval scenario

This! Hannibal may have crossed the Pyrenees and the Alps once, but the Inca dealt with the Andes - The Andes - on a daily basis... Go figure...

But I didn't like this cross mountains thing anyway...

Well, it can be very useful for reaching some resources that are on the other side of a mountain, the problem of a mountain biased civ like the Incas. As you said, the Andes!

I agree with the Inca not being able to cross mountains - . - Inca LIVED in the mountains, right? But anyway, I am so excited for Austria!! I was hoping for them!

My middle ages internet connection, unfortunately, precludes me from watching this possibly interesting interview.
Can somebody , who saw it already, post here if there is anything in it about changing certain game mechanics of the Civilization V? Like one unit per turn and such?

The game has to have balance it cannot be based completely on reality. I suppose they figured terrace farming was the more fitting UA for the Incas. That does make sense. Although, they could add an improvement for the Incas to build suspension bridges to cross mountains. The Inca were quite good at building suspension bridges over canyons and rivers.

We could also argue that Napoleon crossed the Alps, so the French should have that ability as well. The Germans also formed, I believe it was 10 mountain divisions before the outbreak of WWII. Here again though, the civs have to be balanced. Certainly, if Switzerland ever becomes a civ they should have the abilty to cross mountains. What about the Danes? Or the Swedes if they become a civ? American Indians also crossed mountains. Russians did too and China. Mongols, Indians from India, and Alexander the Great did too etc etc etc. The Americans as well. I climbed Mt. Washington in New Hampshire myself so I am living proof that Americans can cross mountains. I also did not have a donkey or white charger, just some skinny Connecticut chicken legs. If you can climb it you certainly can go down the other side right? :lol:

If they are going to add mountain passage it should be available to all civs, and the Carthage UA would have to change to something else. I would give them a combat bonus if a great general is present called "Double Envelopment".

Considering this debate about mountain crossing, I second following:
Quote: "If they are going to add mountain passage it should be available to all civs," by Mr nokmirt
And, quite frankly, I like the most the idea of mountains being passable by military and settlers only on roads.
Best wishes

The game has to have balance it cannot be based completely on reality. I suppose they figured terrace farming was the more fitting UA for the Incas. That does make sense. Although, they could add an improvement for the Incas to build suspension bridges to cross mountains. The Inca were quite good at building suspension bridges over canyons and rivers.

We could also argue that Napoleon crossed the Alps, so the French should have that ability as well. The Germans also formed, I believe it was 10 mountain divisions before the outbreak of WWII. Here again though, the civs have to be balanced. Certainly, if Switzerland ever becomes a civ they should have the abilty to cross mountains. What about the Danes? Or the Swedes if they become a civ? American Indians also crossed mountains. Russians did too and China. Mongols, Indians from India, and Alexander the Great did too etc etc etc. The Americans as well. I climbed Mt. Washington in New Hampshire myself so I am living proof that Americans can cross mountains. I also did not have a donkey or white charger, just some skinny Connecticut chicken legs. If you can climb it you certainly can go down the other side right? :lol:

If they are going to add mountain passage it should be available to all civs, and the Carthage UA would have to change to something else. I would give them a combat bonus if a great general is present called "Double Envelopment".
Yeah, I was thinking about that too, but my point is that while some civs may have crossed mountains, Incas actually lived there, so they should be able to do that, in theory. Although you're right about the balance thing, and after all it's just a game, it doesn't have to be historically accurate :lol:
But still, it kinda bugs me somehow, considering the Incas are a mountain civ... anyway, I hope that they get something else (call it national pride if you want to) or at least they implement your road across mountains idea :)

Austria and Ethiopia! I like the choices, I guess we can kiss Poland goodbye, another european civ would be too much, the rest of the world needs some loving too.

About the mountain crossing, it would be nice if roads through mountains were allowed later on in the game for all civs (with high maintanance cost), Carthage would still be able to cross everywere and Incas would pay no maintanance on them, everybody wins.

But if the military AI is really as improved as they claim, then having Carthage near is going to be as terrifying as having Attila as neighbour, he'll massacre you in the coast, AND cross mountains to get you. Archipielago games will be great with all the new naval civs.

Im dying to get more info on Pacal.

But if the military AI is really as improved as they claim, then having Carthage near is going to be as terrifying as having Attila as neighbour, he'll massacre you in the coast, AND cross mountains to get you.
Sounds like a good challenge, people usually sees mountains as natural walls, so they may feel secure behind them, but now they have to secure them too. Would cannons and ranged units be able to shot them, with a 1-hex range? If it's not the case, then we have a serious threat there

From the stream:
"An AI player might come to you and say 'just wanted to let you know, that Pacal is going to attack you in five turns at here..' "

Mercantile city states give you happiness. They also have either porecelain or jewelry unique luxuries, which they will give to allies adding even more happiness to those civs.

Are you sure it's only either porcelain or jewelry with all the mercantile city-states? Or were they just two examples given?

Are you sure it's only either porcelain or jewelry with all the mercantile city-states? Or were they just two examples given?

Those are the two Dennis Shirk mentioned. He said they either have porecelain or jewelry. They could add others later though who knows.

Yeah, I was thinking about that too, but my point is that while some civs may have crossed mountains, Incas actually lived there, so they should be able to do that, in theory. Although you're right about the balance thing, and after all it's just a game, it doesn't have to be historically accurate :lol:
But still, it kinda bugs me somehow, considering the Incas are a mountain civ... anyway, I hope that they get something else (call it national pride if you want to) or at least they implement your road across mountains idea :)

I do see your point and would have no argument if they gave the Inca that abilty. One of my best friends is Peruvian. He is from there and I am certain he'd agree that they should be able to cross mountains. The suspension bridge idea would be pretty cool if they added it.

BTW has anyone thought of Australia as a civ? off topic yes, but just wondering

BTW has anyone thought of Australia as a civ? off topic yes, but just wondering

I have, the thought of a Boomerang Warrior would be great, but there's the fear that they may end up being somehow as Polynesia if it's focused in the natives.

If it's only Porcelain or Jewellery then how can it be unique? You have more than two merchantile and you're going to have more than one of the resources

Because only mercantile city states can produce those particular luxuries. And only allies of those city states can benefit and gain happiness from those resources. I could have sworn he said either jewelry or porecelain. I do agree with you though it makes no sense to just have two resources for that type of CS. I'd rather have more types of unique resources (tools, clothing, woodwork, glassware, metalwork, if I'm on the right track.) which would make things much more interesting. But not too many so you have a chance to sell extra for a bit more cash.

Yeah, but say there's three merchantile, one with Porcelain and two with Jewellery. If I'm allied with one, and I'm getting Jewellery, and then someone else is allied with the other CS giving Jewellery, how is it unique?

Top Bottom