Friday's PAX talk (with overview)

Yeah, but say there's three merchantile, one with Porcelain and two with Jewellery. If I'm allied with one, and I'm getting Jewellery, and then someone else is allied with the other CS giving Jewellery, how is it unique?
I'm guessing that there can't be to CS with the same special luxury. It also makes sense , since you would have to fight with other civs to control that specific resource. Maybe just two mechantile CS. But I really believe that there will be more.

Yeah, but say there's three merchantile, one with Porcelain and two with Jewellery. If I'm allied with one, and I'm getting Jewellery, and then someone else is allied with the other CS giving Jewellery, how is it unique?

Holy crapola. What they mean by unique is that the mercantile CS can make those luxuries. I suppose they are a unique type of CS. Other city states have their own UA. They apparently have learned the unique skill of creating jewelry or porcelain. More than one CS can have that skill as well. Mercantile CSs therefore have unique skills passed down from generation to generation, I suppose. They simply know their craft. But like you I think it would be better if there were more unique luxuries. Remember just because several places can make pottery does not mean that pottery is the same, from place to place. Each place makes it in their own way and therefore it is unique. Okay???:lol:

I do hope there will be more than two types of special luxuries.

Sorry for annoying you, my mind is in analytical mode tonight it seems. In the interview, Shirk said "A luxury that no-one else in the game has", which would imply that they're unique

The current AI "can do amphibious invasions." It is merely incompetent at doing so. This is not a new feature.

These kind of qualitative statements are utterly worthless. "The AI will be better." Right, sure it will. They've been saying that for more than a year.

The current AI "can do amphibious invasions." It is merely incompetent at doing so. This is not a new feature.

These kind of qualitative statements are utterly worthless. "The AI will be better." Right, sure it will. They've been saying that for more than a year.

Well they didn't only change the Ai but the combat mechainic so there is a good change this Ai can handle it better

True.

I remember before the initial release how they praised the AI about how it was able to play an overall strategy, adapt to what happens and micromanage at once. It seems to be bad at all 3, so promising us it will be good once again is something I doubt.

My guess is that naval AI invasions will be more like land AI invasions and with the new combat formula the AI might be able to put up a greater challenge. It's just that it wont be a result of a better AI, but merely because they altered the game to fit how the AI plays.

Probably the same way killing Helicopter Gunships works.

How's that then? I've built plenty of helicopters and like storing them on mountains waiting for the order to move in, but I've never had one destroyed on a mountain. I've also never destroyed an enemy helicopter on a mountain.
I can only imagine it would be possible with aircraft or ranged attack.

So the Huns are going to "steal" city names?
I hope this will not happen "Atilla has founded Taipei,Atilla has founded Cherbourg,Atilla has founded Tula..."
Can it be even more ridiculous?
Yes,it can!

So the Huns are going to "steal" city names?
I hope this will not happen "Atilla has founded Taipei,Atilla has founded Cherbourg,Atilla has founded Tula..."
Can it be even more ridiculous?
Yes,it can!

Are you seriously going to be pickign on that? Do you prefer

Atilla has founded New Attila's Court, Attila has found Attila's Court 2, Attila has founded New Attilas's Court 2 ? :rolleyes:

About the luxuries,

The phrase

"X city state has EITHER porcelain or jewelry" means that it has either of those two, but that doesn't mean there's only two types of unique luxuries.

How's that then? I've built plenty of helicopters and like storing them on mountains waiting for the order to move in, but I've never had one destroyed on a mountain. I've also never destroyed an enemy helicopter on a mountain.
I can only imagine it would be possible with aircraft or ranged attack.

I stopped short of saying how because I didn't want to be called out on getting wrong something I should know. :ack: But yeah, ranged attack (or attacking with your own Helicopter Gunship) is the way you have to go, because you can't attack a tile you can't move to.

Which means Carthaginian tanks could be devastating.

I agree, but there was more depth of explanation than just that.

I was initially sceptical of Austria as yet another European civ, but of course diverse gameplay trumps most other things, and they sound intriguing. Glad to see Ethiopia back, too.

I'm not entirely convinced by Carthage's Hannibal-esque mountaineering ability. It seems a bit of a gimmicky choice right now, but I guess it could lead to some interesting invasion forces.

As I understood it, these two ressources will be the only ones for Mercantile SCs - and this is totally enough, in my regards.

- First of all, there will not be so many Mercantile CSs at all, as they will share the map with all the other types.
- Secondly, even if you are allied with two M'CSs with the same "unique" ressource, just trade it away! Probably nobody else will have this ressource to trade with, so you will have no problems finding a trading partner!

Bottom line: don't over emphasize the "uniqueness" of these ressources. They are unique in the sense, that *only* M'SCs can give them. They are *not unique* in the sense, that there is literally just one copy of them in the game.

What's to say porcelain from two city states couldn't be treated differently? They would represent manufactures, which would be unique to a city state even if they are similar to something produced by another city state. Delftware v Chinese porcelain, for example.

That's nearly impossible, only Tanks and GDR and Horse units have the abiltiy to move after attacking, any other melee units won't.

It just makes it a bit harder to use the ability of crossing mountains.
What I am suggesting is this: They cannot end a turn on a mountain but can cross them so require an open terrain type with no units on the other side to end their turn in (if moving with melee units). Think of it like what currently happens if you build a unit in a city that already has a unit in it...(i.e. you have to move it out first before you can attack (because if you lose the battle you cannot end the turn in the city which already has a unit)).

I just realised this interpretation of their ability would mean that units would have to ignore terrain movement costs when crossing mountains and also make double layers of mountains impossible to cross.
So those of you who are suggesting they can end their turns in mountains are probably right (though I'm not yet convinced)

Sorry for annoying you, my mind is in analytical mode tonight it seems. In the interview, Shirk said "A luxury that no-one else in the game has", which would imply that they're unique

Its ok I was trying to determine what he meant too.

Top Bottom