Python Performance and Interface Overhaul (PPIO)

v0.5.5
  • Lots of changes to the main interface. A WIP, so some stuff may look crude.
  • Once more I changed how the promotions a unit have is displayed.
  • Implemented tooltip code to be used for help text, to replace the exe implementation wherever possible.
    • Currently only used for the promotions a unit have, ...
    • for the revolt bar and the trade route panel in the city screen, ...
    • and for the advisor buttons.
  • Only a couple of small text size adjustments in the pedia. (pedia was not a focus in this development cycle)
Known bug, lots of errors when you change resolution within a game.... Not sure what the core of the problem is yet.
Spoiler in game picture. :
8800_20171019151943_1.jpg

Last edited:
Powerful wanderer! I LOVE the way you display the unit promos but when it runs off the page to the right, can that panel be scrolled?

And great work on the help text alternative wherever it can be put to use!

Powerful wanderer! I LOVE the way you display the unit promos but when it runs off the page to the right, can that panel be scrolled?
If you got a mouse wheel on your mouse, yes it can.

v0.5.5.1 - Hotfix
  • Some performance tweaks
  • Fixed the errors related to "alt+tab"-ing and changing resolution.

• Lots of main interface tweaking. No pedia changes this time either.
  • Performance improvements.
Spoiler City screen as it is now. :
8800_20171026042754_1.jpg

that City screen looks Very nice :) I'll try it as soon as I can, hope I'm actually able this time 'round, seeing the last version I tried was with the Subdued animals bug :D

I take it you'd have the ability now to add a new tab where resources and properties are that would help with tracking idea influences? (once I have the ideas system setup and reporting to python anyhow)

I take it you'd have the ability now to add a new tab where resources and properties are that would help with tracking idea influences? (once I have the ideas system setup and reporting to python anyhow)
Sure, there's enough space, though it will require some work to get more tabs to fit for the lower resolutions.
that City screen looks Very nice :) I'll try it as soon as I can, hope I'm actually able this time 'round, seeing the last version I tried was with the Subdued animals bug :D
The subdued animal bug is gone, but I can't guarantee a bug free experience atm.

No there is no room.
I would say look at his screen pic but I understand he's showing a higher res than you and I would look at it. Still, do you really need the whole words, Resources and Properties fully displaying to know what the tab is? One more tab there doesn't take up more room, just competes for label space. We could give these three tabs their own little graphic icon at the beginning of the term if that's much of an issue.

I would say look at his screen pic but I understand he's showing a higher res than you and I would look at it. Still, do you really need the whole words, Resources and Properties fully displaying to know what the tab is? One more tab there doesn't take up more room, just competes for label space. We could give these three tabs their own little graphic icon at the beginning of the term if that's much of an issue.
Using icons instead of Words is a good alternative, it would make scaling by resolution easier in this case, and I can add a tooltip to them that tells what the icons represents.
Finding the right icons for the job is not that easy though.

Using icons instead of Words is a good alternative, it would make scaling by resolution easier in this case, and I can add a tooltip to them that tells what the icons represents.
Finding the right icons for the job is not that easy though.
Can't help much with that today but we can look later. Could create new ones perhaps. Resources, Properties, Ideas... hmm... how to iconographize these concepts.

I was thinking an icon that has 32 pixel vertically and 96 pixels horizontally, so that we can fit in three small 32x32 sized icons (typical size for civ icons) side by side for each tab header.
The trick is to find three fitting symbols to use for each tab.

e.g. Image Start |
Untitled-1.gif
| image end (Only found one fitting symbol for resources atm).

Edit:
dfhdf.gif

OR
sergdrhfk.gif

it would look something like this: (This is photo-shopped)
ghkghk6042754_1.jpg

efasf.jpg
aerhtjt.jpg

Last edited:
I run a 1920×1080 monitor,

Spoiler The Resource and building list can be a bit smaller, and the Properties could be shown better :

when I noticed your Prehistoric screenshot I was already wondering how it would look around the time I currently am, but it looks nice except those small details,

when I noticed your Prehistoric screenshot I was already wondering how it would look around the time I currently am, but it looks nice except those small details,
Thanks for the pics, I too wondered how it would look like at a later stage in the game, I have no late game save atm.

Great person bar and the city arrows needs to be adjusted as well.

Note: I see you haven't updated to v0.5.6.1.

No, I hadn't had time nor seen it before making those Screenshots, I'll update later today,

Ugh, it's going to be a challange to get the lowest resolution to look good:
Spoiler 1024x768 :
8800_20171027145239_1.jpg
I need to ask; how many out there use 1024x768 resolution...?
I would so love to discontinue support for that res.

I'm using 1280x1024.

Even here font is bit too big and there is some overlapping text.
Spoiler :

Last edited:
Any thoughts (Other than it being a bit too big for the background), does it look completely out of place ?
Spoiler :
8800_20171028003313_1.jpg

Another suggestion
2222.jpg

Those buttons are not photoshopped btw, I cropped the screenshot but that is exactly how they look in game.

Last edited:
Ugh, it's going to be a challange to get the lowest resolution to look good:
Spoiler 1024x768 :
I need to ask; how many out there use 1024x768 resolution...?
I would so love to discontinue support for that res.

I still use that resolution, It is better for my old PC and also my eyes.

When I eventually upgrade, I will probably still use it.

Top Bottom