1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Funny Screenshots: Part Deux

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by BakingTheArt, Jan 21, 2009.

1. west india man

west india man Immortal

Poland is obviously in North Africa.

2. AdamCrock

AdamCrock Polish Pudding

I'm from Poland and I disagree, Poland is a small village in Kazakhstan :lol: We are bordering with Russia, yes - just recently got this sweet contract to buy Russian screen door submarines. Now we can invade Turkmenistan properly at last !! :lol:

3. digitalcraft

digitalcraft Warlord

Oh lord, this is up there with montezuma landing 40 catapults (and only catapults mind you) on my poorly defended island.

4. Abegweit

Abegweit Anarchist trader

There was some Polish guy who was absolutely obsessed with the idea that Poland should be a civ and he would go on endlessly about all the reasons why this is obviously true. His main argument was that it is much more important historically than civ A or civ B which were already in the game.

Other people would say that, whatever the truth of this, there are already too many European civs as it is. It would better to make a Polynesian civ or a Canadian civ or something anywhere else.

So someone decided the solution was to move Poland into Africa.

There you have it. The meme has stuck around forever.

5. AdamCrock

AdamCrock Polish Pudding

I remember that guy ;) He even wrote a mod ;) (played it xD)

6. Yudishtira

Yudishtira Spiritual/Creative

Between England and France, that would be a Cod Attack (and all that gives you is a load of 'battered' fish...)

7. ruff_hi

ruff_hi Live 4ever! Or die trying

My fav is HMS Warrior - one of England's first iron warship that never actually fired a shot in anger.

HMS WARRIOR 1860

As you arrive at Portsmouth Historic Dockyard, the stunning sleek, black lines of Britain's first iron-hulled, armoured warship, take your breath away.

Warrior, launched in 1860, was the pride of Queen Victoria's fleet. Powered by steam and sail, she was the largest, fastest and most powerful ship of her day and had a profound effect on naval architecture. Warrior was, in her time, the ultimate deterrent. Yet within a few years she was obsolete.

8. choxorn

choxorn Watermelon Headcrab

Huh, I only remembered people pushing for Poland, not anyone suggesting it be moved into Africa.

9. AdamCrock

AdamCrock Polish Pudding

Well people pushed so hard we are in Kazakhstan now :D Planning invasion on Turkmenistan ! ;)

10. TheMulattoMaker

TheMulattoMaker Dictator of RF

Wikipedia must be following our debate- today's featured article is on dreadnoughts. Hmm...

11. nerdfighter13

nerdfighter13 Prince of the Universe

Well, you know, some people on this forum may be contributors to Wikipedia, but sadly no link to this thread.

12. joanne

joanne Barbarian

Sorry for derailing this thread by posting something offtopic... :p

Spoiler :

scumbag mapgen: "perhaps you could use half of the global gold supply to aid with your expansion... into the middle of the freaking desert with no food available for miles around so you can't reap the extra commerce until the very late game without stagnating your cities"

Yes, I get empire-wide happiness, and I can settle crappy cities that will eventually grow to work them, but over a very long payback period at the cost of better food- and hammer-rich cities :cry:

13. Imp. Knoedel

Imp. Knoedel Properly Paranoid Proletarian

The upper two Gold you could work with a decent riverside city on one of these plains actually, but you´re right about the coastside Golds being crappy.

14. strijder20

strijder20 Wallowing in irony

... Or you just settle the city one south of the eastern gold, farm over its 6 grass tiles and work all the gold :huh:

15. CocoIsKing28

CocoIsKing28 Slightly less stupid

Only 2 of the GL tiles would be farmable in the early game.

16. Mad Professor

Mad Professor Deity

Oh! A screenshot!! :p

17. Merovech

Merovech Warlord

I think you can work consistently work all four gold with just two cities (one size 7 and one size 1) pre-Civil Service. The size 7 city wouldn't even be that bad.

The better city would go 1SE of the oasis and work the oasis until size 2, where it would either pick up one of the golds or a riverside grassland farm. It would continue growing (either quickly with the farm or very slowly with the gold) until size 3, picking up a farm (or a gold, but not so that it is working two golds). It would then grow another size, to size 4, picking up another farm or the gold, etc. until size 7, where it would stagnate on the oasis, the three grassland farms, and three golds. This requires expanded borders to grow much past size 2. At size 7, this city would produce (assuming you are not financial and not including golden age, biology, or railroad boost) 27 base commerce and 7 base hammers per turn. Not too bad for a food resource-less city.

The other city would probably go on the desert tile 1 south and 1 southeast of the two most southerly golds and work the western-most gold at size 1. It would produce 3 base hammers and 8 base commerce per turn. This city is certainly a filler; the other, not so much.

18. damerell

damerell Slow Worker

I don't think the issue is formality but modern usage. You wouldn't now call a sail-powered ship of the line a "battleship", but it is perfectly correct to call (say) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Trafalgar_(1887) a "battleship" and indeed it's hard to think what else (short of "pre-dreadnought", I guess).

19. guermantes

guermantes Emperor wannabe

LOL! Barb coming out of the fog this turn... :crazyeye:
    It has actually never happened to me before and now it happened in two games in a row. The second one I just love! :lol:

Spoiler :

20. nerdfighter13

nerdfighter13 Prince of the Universe

Maybe they are secret guerrillas from the people you were fighting.