Funny Screenshots: Part Deux

Status
Not open for further replies.
Poland is obviously in North Africa.

I'm from Poland and I disagree, Poland is a small village in Kazakhstan :lol: We are bordering with Russia, yes - just recently got this sweet contract to buy Russian screen door submarines. Now we can invade Turkmenistan properly at last !! :lol:

lol the one time the ai actually makes a succesfull d day

Oh lord, this is up there with montezuma landing 40 catapults (and only catapults mind you) on my poorly defended island.

What is this joke of Poland "everywhere but in East Europe, bordering with Russia" ?
There was some Polish guy who was absolutely obsessed with the idea that Poland should be a civ and he would go on endlessly about all the reasons why this is obviously true. His main argument was that it is much more important historically than civ A or civ B which were already in the game.

Other people would say that, whatever the truth of this, there are already too many European civs as it is. It would better to make a Polynesian civ or a Canadian civ or something anywhere else.

So someone decided the solution was to move Poland into Africa.

There you have it. The meme has stuck around forever.

There was some Polish guy who was absolutely obsessed with the idea that Poland should be a civ and he would go on endlessly about all the reasons why this is obviously true. His main argument was that it is much more important historically than civ A or civ B which were already in the game.

Other people would say that, whatever the truth of this, there are already too many European civs as it is. It would better to make a Polynesian civ or a Canadian civ or something anywhere else.

I remember that guy ;) He even wrote a mod ;) (played it xD)

Nonsense. Everyone knows the water weighs down the praets, giving them -2 strength. Plus there's a good chance you'll get the Shark Attack event, which will clear out your ranks.

Between England and France, that would be a Cod Attack (and all that gives you is a load of 'battered' fish...)

Battleships aren't steam powered and never have been. Ironclads, yes, but the ships after it don't.
That depends if you mean Civ IV Battleships or all the ships called "battleships". Obviously, I meant the latter. Sheesh.
My fav is HMS Warrior - one of England's first iron warship that never actually fired a shot in anger.

HMS WARRIOR 1860

As you arrive at Portsmouth Historic Dockyard, the stunning sleek, black lines of Britain's first iron-hulled, armoured warship, take your breath away.

Warrior, launched in 1860, was the pride of Queen Victoria's fleet. Powered by steam and sail, she was the largest, fastest and most powerful ship of her day and had a profound effect on naval architecture. Warrior was, in her time, the ultimate deterrent. Yet within a few years she was obsolete.

Huh, I only remembered people pushing for Poland, not anyone suggesting it be moved into Africa.

Huh, I only remembered people pushing for Poland, not anyone suggesting it be moved into Africa.

Well people pushed so hard we are in Kazakhstan now :D Planning invasion on Turkmenistan ! ;)

Wikipedia must be following our debate- today's featured article is on dreadnoughts. Hmm...

Well, you know, some people on this forum may be contributors to Wikipedia, but sadly no link to this thread.

Sorry for derailing this thread by posting something offtopic... :p

Spoiler :

scumbag mapgen: "perhaps you could use half of the global gold supply to aid with your expansion... into the middle of the freaking desert with no food available for miles around so you can't reap the extra commerce until the very late game without stagnating your cities"

Yes, I get empire-wide happiness, and I can settle crappy cities that will eventually grow to work them, but over a very long payback period at the cost of better food- and hammer-rich cities :cry:

Spoiler :

scumbag mapgen: "perhaps you could use half of the global gold supply to aid with your expansion... into the middle of the freaking desert with no food available for miles around so you can't reap the extra commerce until the very late game without stagnating your cities"

Yes, I get empire-wide happiness, and I can settle crappy cities that will eventually grow to work them, but over a very long payback period at the cost of better food- and hammer-rich cities :cry:

The upper two Gold you could work with a decent riverside city on one of these plains actually, but you´re right about the coastside Golds being crappy.

... Or you just settle the city one south of the eastern gold, farm over its 6 grass tiles and work all the gold :huh:

Spoiler :

I think you can work consistently work all four gold with just two cities (one size 7 and one size 1) pre-Civil Service. The size 7 city wouldn't even be that bad.

The better city would go 1SE of the oasis and work the oasis until size 2, where it would either pick up one of the golds or a riverside grassland farm. It would continue growing (either quickly with the farm or very slowly with the gold) until size 3, picking up a farm (or a gold, but not so that it is working two golds). It would then grow another size, to size 4, picking up another farm or the gold, etc. until size 7, where it would stagnate on the oasis, the three grassland farms, and three golds. This requires expanded borders to grow much past size 2. At size 7, this city would produce (assuming you are not financial and not including golden age, biology, or railroad boost) 27 base commerce and 7 base hammers per turn. Not too bad for a food resource-less city.

The other city would probably go on the desert tile 1 south and 1 southeast of the two most southerly golds and work the western-most gold at size 1. It would produce 3 base hammers and 8 base commerce per turn. This city is certainly a filler; the other, not so much.

So the original battleships were purely sail powered wooden ships, at least in informal terms. The earliest formal usage would be for the steam powered ships of the late 1800s.

I don't think the issue is formality but modern usage. You wouldn't now call a sail-powered ship of the line a "battleship", but it is perfectly correct to call (say) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Trafalgar_(1887) a "battleship" and indeed it's hard to think what else (short of "pre-dreadnought", I guess).

LOL! Barb coming out of the fog this turn... :crazyeye:
It has actually never happened to me before and now it happened in two games in a row. The second one I just love! :lol:

Spoiler :

Maybe they are secret guerrillas from the people you were fighting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom