Future Update - Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't have anything against Portugal, but I am somewhat concerned about the niche that a Portugese Civ would occupy given the design of the other Colonial civs. We have a lot of civs with different trade route bonuses, some like Spain that have continental based effects, and several with Naval orientations. All of this narrows the obvious design options for Portugal.

Therefore, I am curious as to what Uniques players expect out of them that would create a new gameplay style that avoids too much overlap with existing Civs.
I know I wasn't asked the question but I have some answers.
Some unique abilities:
Naval units receiving exp. for exploration like recon units.
Extra era score for discovering new features, natural wonders, continents first.
Trade routes receiving extra gold for every coastal water tile in the origin city and traders claiming water tiles.
Coastal water generates science (leader in cartography science)

UU: Nau can have greater sight and movement than the Caravel it replaces
Unique Improvement: Feitoria can only be built on land adjacent to the coast and a luxury resource. Provides production and gold for every luxury resource and +4 loyalty and fortified strength when occupied.

I don't have anything against Portugal, but I am somewhat concerned about the niche that a Portugese Civ would occupy given the design of the other Colonial civs. We have a lot of civs with different trade route bonuses, some like Spain that have continental based effects, and several with Naval orientations. All of this narrows the obvious design options for Portugal.

Therefore, I am curious as to what Uniques players expect out of them that would create a new gameplay style that avoids too much overlap with existing Civs.
You could give them bonus to exploration - it's not something many Civs have, if any, and the Portuguese were very famous explorers. You could make their settlements more loyal on foreign continents. You could have them working with luxuries (only something the Aztecs have), probably connecting them to money somehow, since the Portuguese were known for their very lucrative spice trade. A replacement of Caravel with Carrack/Nau could work. Say, Manuel I would make a great leader either building up the country (Manueline architecture) or further supporting colonisation/trade somehow.

Given the lack of substantive changes to the actual DLC depots, I think that "2 weeks away" is pretty optimistic. It would be nice if I were wrong though.

Perhaps the depots are a red herring and they'll be removed later, keeping only Runner?

And couldn't they just copy and paste everything into the depots later?
---

As for Portugal, the most obvious unit would be a hard hitting medieval/renaissance gunpowder ranged naval unit which could also be used to occupy coastal cities.

The mechanics would have to tie in with whatever a new expansion is bringing to the game. Exploration alone is a bit shortsighted.

E.g.
Portugal can pillage sea trade routes without declaring war, unless civs are the same religion.

Unique naval Unit which can establish outposts along the coast, a bit like outposts in Humankind. These can then be turned into cities later on through a city project. Keeping them as outposts provides fort defensive bonuses and territorial ownership of every adjacent hex, plus a copy of every luxury/strategic resource in those hexes without needing to improve the tile. Forts suffer no loyalty pressure. Managing Portugal would involve knowing which forts to upgrade to cities and when.

Etc

Perhaps the depots are a red herring and they'll be removed later, keeping only Runner?
I understand everyone here likes to have fun and imagine all sorts of "wackiness" but I'm going to pour cold water on the idea that they created Steam depots solely for the purpose of trolling or deceiving people. Doesn't pass Occam's Razor by a longshot.

couldn't they just copy and paste everything into the depots later?

Sure, anything is possible. But we have 2+ years of reference for how Firaxis uses the Steam DB they have never done that.

The mechanics would have to tie in with whatever a new expansion is bringing to the game. Exploration alone is a bit shortsighted.

If we are getting a larger expansion, I would be less concerned about potential mechanics for new Civs, as there would be obviously be new mechanics to build around. If there were any new trade mechanics, as I've seen others request/speculate about, they would probably be a shoe-in for Portugal.

However, if these end up being smaller Leader Packs or Leader+Scenario Packs, I think the question goes back to what effects can they get that use existing mechanics are unique enough to make them stand out from existing abilities. I am also worried that there would be a lot of parallel between Portugal and Spain, given they were both Colonial powers. So I believe there would need to be a concerted effort to make a Portugal economic bonus distinct from Spain's Treasure Fleet.

Based on their Civ5 version and some of the suggestions here, perhaps their Unique Infrastructure could hold some of that economic power with part of a CA or LA serving to bolster that specialization. Leveraging luxuries, as suggested, also makes a lot of sense to me.

Unique naval Unit which can establish outposts along the coast, a bit like outposts in Humankind. These can then be turned into cities later on through a city project.

Beyond Earth also had a similar mechanic, where colonist built Outposts that needed to grow before they became proper cities. So there is a degree of precedent for that in recent Civ titles.

Speaking purely hypothetically, a Portuguese + New World Scenario Pack makes a lot of sense to pair together in my mind. Otherwise, I'm not sure what civ would be paired with Portugal if it was part of a Civ+Civ Pack. Thoughts anyone?

Last edited:
I understand everyone here likes to have fun and imagine all sorts of "wackiness" but I'm going to pour cold water on the idea that they created Steam depots solely for the purpose of trolling or deceiving people. Doesn't pass Occam's Razor by a longshot.

Sure, anything is possible. But we have 2+ years of reference for how Firaxis uses the Steam DB they have never done that.

I am suspicious that 2kqa_d has new content in it somehow. When they created the USK review build, they updated 2kqa_d the day before. Then they made a small update to two depots on the USK build and then an update to the same depots on the 2kqa_d build shortly after. It seemed like the two were briefly in sync.

Speaking purely hypothetically, a Portuguese + New World Scenario Pack makes a lot of sense to pair together in my mind. Otherwise, I'm not sure what civ would be paired with Portugal if it was part of a Civ+Civ Pack. Thoughts anyone?
Italy+ Portugal + New World Scenario :D

I am suspicious that 2kqa_d has new content in it somehow. When they created the USK review build, they updated 2kqa_d the day before. Then they made a small update to two depots on the USK build and then an update to the same depots on the 2kqa_d build shortly after. It seemed like the two were briefly in sync.

Interesting observation! I'd love to be wrong because I want whatever they've got in store ASAP! :D

I want a Civ that gets a penalty to era points in the normal and golden/heroic era, but get a bonus to era points in the dark era, plus some advantages on both a dark and a heroic era. It would be designed as an ideal Civ to play a Dark/Heroic era Strategy. Easy to get dark and heroic, and good at it. Basically a Dark/Heroic Georgia.

I mean, there’s this and this from the gaming press. There’s also plenty of references to a Third Expansion on Reddit, Steam and Steam.

Sorry, but I really wasn't trying to overstate the interest in a Third Expansion or suggest that masses of people are going protest in the streets if there isn’t one. I’m just saying that there’s been a reasonable amount of chat about a Third Expansion, not just on Civ Fanatics, that FXS haven’t done anything to discourage that chat (and have maybe even encouraged it a little), and that it’s possible some chunk of people might be disappointed if there isn’t one. That’s all.

But hey. Lots of games stop short before players want. Happens all the time.

Okay, maybe we disagree on what a "hype" consists of, and that's fine : ) To me, chat on forums that are dedicated to the game barely count as hype causing the press to react negatively if the hype turns out false. Also, the two articles you sourced: one is from august 2019 (that's half a year ago, not really good for the momentum of a hype train : P) and the other is written "250 days ago". Even if they were written today, I'd say it hardly counts as a hype, but since they're not, I'd have to dismiss them entirely. Two current articles show a mild interest at best, let alone a hype.
Of course, CIV is not as mainstream as say, Call of Duty, but still, on a Civ scale news coverage is rather on the low side of things. Again, we might differ on our view of a hype, and the way we think it will impact sales or publicity. I still think whatever FXS is going to release, people will buy it, people will like it, and people will complain that X is not in the dlc.

More on-topic:
I used to not mind the way FXS dealt with their media presence, but now that I see how simply for example Frontier (Planet Zoo, Planet Coaster) have issued a statement regarding Covid-19, I thought "That's given me such a good vibe". I really wouldn't mind them updating the news with some more engaging posts on, for example, Steam.

As for the DLC(s) itself, I'd really like to see some new Civs but have hardly a preference. I'm also looking forward to new natural wonders, although I don't see many other people rooting for that too. But most of all, I'm really waiting on a complete World Builder that just works, where you can make your own maps with TSL etc. And I want whatever modders need to make more amazing mods, eventhough I don't mod myself. I have currently played nearly 2000 hours of Civ, and I'm quite sure I would not have gotten more than 500 out of the game without mods. Just the simple mods that let me remove strategic and luxury resources alone, make such a difference. Who has ever heard of not being to build a new industrial district because there were some horses present the modern age...

Edit: yeah okay, I would love to see Maya, a North American tribe, and Vietnam most of all I think.... :'D

Last edited:
I am hoping Venice would get another mechanic then civ 5 if they would make a comeback. I always blocked them from entering the game together with Austria.

Portugal and Italy - the European dream team. And the best part is anyone who whines about too many European Civs get to skip it ;)

All I really want are TSL maps for Africa and the Americas, and bugfixes to get rid of the pantheon exploits.

So I had this crazy thought last night thinking about the "Babylon" problem, at least the problem that I see they have.
1. I think most of their cities would overlap with Sumeria.
2. Another of their prominent cities, Akkad, is also a city-state.

What if they decide to make Babylon the Venice of Civ 6. You can either build up Babylon making it the most splendid city in the world, or use your resources to go out and conquer the other cities around while not be able to train settlers. What does everybody think?

Historically it does fit as Babylon was an independent city-state who eventually conquered the lands around them.

Reactions: j51
So I had this crazy thought last night thinking about the "Babylon" problem, at least the problem that I see they have.

What if they decide to make Babylon the Venice of Civ 6. You can either build up Babylon making it the most splendid city in the world, or use your resources to go out and conquer the other cities around while not be able to train settlers. What does everybody think?

Historically it does fit as Babylon was an independent city-state who eventually conquered the lands around them.

There's really not a lot of overlap in cities. It's quite easy to make a 30+ list of Babylon city names without a single Sumerian city. Check it out yourself:

https://civilization.fandom.com/wiki/Babylonian_cities_(Civ5)
https://civilization.fandom.com/wiki/Sumerian_cities_(Civ6)

I want a Civ that gets a penalty to era points in the normal and golden/heroic era, but get a bonus to era points in the dark era, plus some advantages on both a dark and a heroic era. It would be designed as an ideal Civ to play a Dark/Heroic era Strategy. Easy to get dark and heroic, and good at it. Basically a Dark/Heroic Georgia.

These ideas rule dudes!

Usually, AI sucks in placing cities so that would be a downside, without OP early unit and other boosts in first 50 turns you will suffer on a higher difficulty, and you can lose all fun from city/empire planning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom