1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Future Update - Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Mar 24, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zaarin

Zaarin Chief Medical Officer, DS9

Yeah, a Holy Site that generates Science as well as Faith is absolutely the route I'd expect. Other possibility is a Mayan Pyramid replacing the Temple.

679x, WorldWarIV, bbbt and 3 others like this.
  2. Jeppetto

Jeppetto Prince

Yo what's up with that War to Simulation and vice versa on depots? It has happened few times before and I dunno what to think about it.

Ah, I see you're a man of science as well...

Zaarin likes this.
  3. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

I don't think anyone has figured out why they switch store tags sometimes. I suspect they do that to mess with Steam's search results or something.

Jeppetto likes this.
  4. Kwami

Kwami Emperor

Isn't that kind of already Arabia's thing, though?

5. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

The shrines and temples could generate science based off of their mountain adjacency bonus maybe?
    Not necessarily realistic but it seems that mountains=astronomy in these games.

If they follow the route of GS, the Temple would hopefully look like a Mayan Pyramid anyway. Same as the Market and Bank in the Suguba having the Malian architecture.

They have a Campus building that generates faith. It would kind of be the other way around.

679x, Uberfrog and Zaarin like this.
  6. Zaarin

More than one civilization can leverage science from religion and still do it interestingly. Still, the Maya were a diverse people who could be taken in other directions: culture/religion under K'ak' Chan Yopaat of Copan; a mixture of expansionist and economic bonuses representing Mayapan or K'ich'e--or Siyaj Kʼakʼ or Spearthrower Owl of Tikal; or the more traditional (and perhaps iconic) religion/science/warfare under Kʼinich Janaab Pakal of Palenque or Lady Six Sky of Naranjo.

7. Alexander's Hetaroi

Yeah I hadn't even said my idea of making the leader a mix of Barbarossa and Pericles when it comes to city-states. Try to become the suzerain of some but will declare war on city-states who ally themselves with others.

679x, Xandinho and Zaarin like this.
  8. lordfistas

lordfistas Chieftain

You can "vote" for tag on steam, I think it's changed order depends on "votes" and we see that as tag swich on history.

Jeppetto likes this.
  9. theRoyzen

theRoyzen Chieftain

u forgot one thing, if its all of it; just call it YES

10. Arianrhod

Arianrhod Warlord

I don't feel like Civ 6 needs more features at this point, I feel like it needs to better integrate the features it already has, many of which feel practically independent of each other with no real reason to care about them unless you're pursuing a relevant victory type, and some of which feeling questionable even within their theoretical victory path. In that regard, DLC isn't inherently bad as long as it's tied to major game updates that sort this sort of thing out.

My main reason for hesitation when it comes to DLC, and why I was strongly hoping for the increasingly unlikely third expansion, comes down to content. We're still missing more than a handful of civilizations that feel like the game needs before it ends. The Maya, of course, are big here. The likes of Portugal, Babylon, Byzantium, Ethiopia, Assyria, etc. are not terribly far behind. With an expansion, we could be fairly confident in receiving around eight new civilizations, which would hopefully fill most of the biggest holes alongside whatever civs the marketing team deems necessary. DLC is less certain: we could end up getting more, allowing them to add additional new civs or bring back some of the "nice to haves" like Siam/Austria... or we might only get one per known branch and nothing beyond that, which would almost certainly not contain enough to make me feel 100% satisfied in the final Civ lineup.

Civs, of course, aren't the only form of content I'd appreciate more of -- an expansion would be a good way to fill in some of the more obvious unit gaps (where are my trebuchets) and more unfortunate absent wonders (e.g. Notre Dame), but those at least have historical precedent of being added with updates (particularly the big religious one) or DLC, so it's not impossible to suppose those could happen in either path.

The biggest difference between DLC and a third expansion to me, at this point in time, is the uncertainty. How many additional civs can we expect? Of them, how many of the big "veteran" gaps will they fill? And how can they be made interesting, provided the DLC is forced to assume that you may not own either previous expansion? And how are you going to make up for the other less marketable content gaps, like units? These aren't the sort of things you can answer with smoke signals, and considering that they haven't formally announced anything in over half a year, that sense of uncertainty is only intensified.

The "big dream" for me would be another set of DLC that ultimately leads into a third expansion sometime next year, after the worst of the pandemic stuff has (hopefully) blown over, resulting in by far the most content-loaded game in the series. But I'd be surprised if that ends up as more than a dream.

11. Jkchart

Jkchart Emperor

I could deal without Portugal if Brazil weren't also in the game :p

Welcome back to the forums, Zaarin! I missed your posts.

12. Zaarin

I think my opinion of Brazil's presence in the game, as well as of its esteemed leader Dom Satan, are well known. :p

Thank you! It's good to be back. :)

679x, Kjimmet, drakula15 and 8 others like this.
  13. RohirrimElf

RohirrimElf Emperor

welcome back Zaarin. And if i havent said it already. I wish everyone good health.
    And If need be a swift recovery. And exciting civfanatic times ahead of us.

drakula15, j51 and Zaarin like this.
  14. Jkchart

Jkchart Emperor

How true! Looking forward to seeing all of your opinions on the HK stuff as well as the new potential Civ content :)

j51, Zaarin and RohirrimElf like this.
  15. Kimiimaro

Kimiimaro King

Eh, I guess you could say that, though I don't really think he's representing Portugal any more than just by mentioning his title of king of Portugal in his first meet cutscene :p

Agreed on the leader. Would still take the Byzantines even if Justinian/Theodora represented it, but my sincere hope is that we see a later leader like Basil II Bulgaroktonos or some Komnenos with the Varangoi. Or Herakleios. Herakleios could be paired with Khosrow II, a Sassanid Persian alt-leader, and perhaps make a nice scenario of the Byzantine-Sassanid war of 602-628 :love:

Xandinho and Zaarin like this.
  16. Alexander's Hetaroi

Let's not forget Alexander who represents Macedon, Greece, and Egypt. Might as well of made him the leader for Persia too in the DLC. :mischief:

Jeppetto, LMT, Hawke9 and 1 other person like this.
  17. Zaarin

I'm not generally a lumper, but we have a finite number of civs that will be added and Portugal isn't at the top of my wishlist. :p

18. Alexander's Hetaroi

Well I can agree with you on that. They might not be at the top but they are there on my wishlist.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
    Zaarin likes this.
  19. Xandinho

Xandinho Emperor

I think Portugal would be interesting because it could bring a different flavor to exploration and colonization, which other civs like Spain and the Netherlands do not have.

WorldWarIV, Jkchart, Hawke9 and 3 others like this.
  20. DefiantMars

DefiantMars King

I don't have anything against Portugal, but I am somewhat concerned about the niche that a Portugese Civ would occupy given the design of the other Colonial civs. We have a lot of civs with different trade route bonuses, some like Spain that have continental based effects, and several with Naval orientations. All of this narrows the obvious design options for Portugal.

Therefore, I am curious as to what Uniques players expect out of them that would create a new gameplay style that avoids too much overlap with existing Civs.

679x, Zaarin and SammyKhalifa like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.