1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Future Update - Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Mar 24, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Casworon

Casworon Prince

That's so soon! Time to prepare some serious hype.

Imagine if it is a spin off but as DLC this time. So launched via civ vi

2. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

Don't go crazy. Maybe there is no symmetry between the age rating date and announcement date of the most recent product and the next one. We will only know for certain in hindsight.

RohirrimElf and pokiehl like this.
  3. Civinator

Civinator Blue Lion Supporter

There is an interesting text in a current Firaxis job offer:

'To help the team that brought you Civilization VI to the next level', whatever this is meaning. May be with the current depot updates they have finished Civ VI and now the team is working on Civ VII ?

Attached Files:

• Job.jpg
      Job.jpg
      File size:
      110.8 KB
      Views:
    RohirrimElf likes this.
  4. Zaarin

Zaarin Chief Medical Officer, DS9

Not saying they won't start working Civ7, but to me that just sounds like normal HR-speak.

5. blackcatatonic

blackcatatonic Queen of Meme

Agreed. To me that reads like Civ VI is just being name-dropped show off what the development team has done/can do. No reason to infer the role has anything to do with any particular project.

Jkchart, CPWimmer, Kjimmet and 3 others like this.
  6. Atlas627

Atlas627 Deity

To be fair, part of the point of small DLC is that it is often content-rich but feature-poor, whereas core game development is about features. What you end up with is artists who have finished their work long before the bugs have been ironed out, and then they have a long period of downtime before the next expansion has been designed and prototyped, so they start work on something that takes a lot of art work, proportionally.

Art spots being open indicates one of a few things: no more art work is needed on the current project so their old environment artist decided to move on (and needs to be replaced), or additional artists are being hired for a large project, or new types of artists are needed (the next project needs different types of environment artists, for example). I think all of these indicate that the current project is complete, which sounds like it would be 1 expansion, not a bunch of small DLC. Part of the point of doing small DLC is, as I mentioned, that you can work on them as you go along, so they wouldn't release them all at once (and thus suddenly change art needs) like this.

That being said, I think they are unlikely to need additional work on *environments* at this late stage of Civ6 development. I think it is far more likely the Civ6 team is (at least partially) moving on to a new project and thus need environments again.

7. ShahJahanII

ShahJahanII Homesick Alien

Reads like every other job description

8. pokiehl

pokiehl Emperor

Yep. They had multiple job offerings a few months ago and the exact same wording was used. I believe the same phrase was also used for their XCOM openings.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2020
    AntSou and Zaarin like this.
  9. Vandlys

Vandlys Prince

Please also note that *the team* is taken to the next level in this sentence, not Civ VI. So applying for this job might actually mean you'll be working on XCom, or their new game Barbie's Fun Factory (this is a joke).

10. Civinator

Civinator Blue Lion Supporter

Please note, that I posted 'whatever this is meaning' and that this thread is a speculation thread. I agree, that it could mean, that the focus of the 'Civ VI-team' now is on something different from Civ VI (that is the reason why I did the post about the job offer). The text of the job offer uses the past for Civ VI. Of course one can say, that the 'bringing of Civ VI' was in the past - but we all know, that the 'Civ VI-team' did more for Civ VI but only to 'bring it'.

If there is a consense, that the current focus of the Civ VI-team now is on something, that is different from Civ VI (as we actually know it), this of course can be a game like 'Barbie's Fun Factory' (joke) or - what is more obvious in a speculation thread - Civ VII. This would also fit well to the history of former versions of the Civ series. I think they are releasing soon Civ 6 Complete (as it was done with Civ 3, Civ 4 and Civ V, too) plus some features for Civ VI that Firaxis always was posting in the past, that they are working on them. The current focus of the Civ 6-team is on something different from Civ VI as we know it - and I think this is Civ VII (speculation).

Another possibility could be a project, that Firaxis did in the past and whose preparations did attract a lot of attention at that time: Civ Chronicles, a bundle of Civ 1- Civ IV plus some additions like a Civ card game. It could be that Firaxis is doing something similar with Civ 1- Civ VI, but in the time when the release of Civ Chronicles was prepared by Firaxis, they did contact some Civ 3 modders and here it seems that there are no contacts from Firaxis to modders about including their work.

11. Laurana Kanan

Laurana Kanan Don’t underestimate who I am.

In any event, FXS is almost assuredly doing preliminary work on VII, but based on all the aggregated information from the past couple months, mainly being updates to the various Steam database branches, I think we can safely say their focus is still heavily on VI. There's also plenty of other threads in the Ideas & Suggestions forum dealing with VII speculation if that's your desire. As for the job posting, as others have said, I also think it's basically a nothing-burger.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2020
    Zaarin likes this.
  12. AntSou

AntSou Emperor

I'm currently inclined towards:

a) A single large expansion (that being the Runner depot) - with Plaid, zoomzoom and SoonTM being red herrings, thus largely retaining the Civ model of previous titles;

b) A change in approach for the "all-platforms era", where the "purchase" button is just one click away and where small but cheap DLC dominate.

13. Haig

Haig Deity

Was there a teaser for the XCom: Chimera Squad announcement or did the announcement just drop out of nowhere?

14. Cyon

Cyon Cosmonaut

There was a teaser, but only like a week before.

Haig and CPWimmer like this.
  15. Nobody

Nobody Gangster

Australia is one of the most fun Civs to play, but they are the most obnoxious civ.

WorldWarIV, Builderphile, j51 and 2 others like this.
  16. LKx

LKx Chieftain

Civilization VI: beyond humans

In the future era you fight a new indipendent AI facton threat: Aliens.
    They invade earth and establish new aggressive city states (even in the sea if needed) trying to conquer the world.

New feature: aggressive type city states which pops out from modern era (flipping existing cities if needed), and they reveal themselves in future era as aliens in disguise.

New troops: x-com units

Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
  17. blackcatatonic

blackcatatonic Queen of Meme

Giant Death Robots is about my limit for sci fi in Civ*, so that would be a hard pass on alien city states.

* I will also accept underwater cities in the Future Era, as Call to Power had. But aliens and stuff belong in Endless Space 2 (which is arguably a better 4X game anyway!)

Nerevatar and Zaarin like this.
  18. JungleTreetops

JungleTreetops Chieftain

The most I want for sci-fi in Civ after GDRs (which in my opinion should be limited to a new Future Era tech, but always is one of the staring FE techs) are colonizing planets. The problems are, there's no incentive as they don't really help in any particular victory as there's no resource / economic victory and scientific victory is pretty resource-cheap for what it is, you should need to rely on other empires for resources, what do you think happened after WW2, as everyone tried to rely on themselves and eventually started fighting each other instead? They globalized. But being reliant on yourself is pretty easy because you can just settle a city in the modern era in the ice for that oil. I think more units need oil but there are more oil sources in compacted areas (sand tiles specifically, and give units defending on desert a +4 defense bonus to discourage fighting there, to make it extremely lucrative but hard to take. Perhaps Arabia's Mamluks or Saladin's ability can ignore this.). For the other reason of not having colonizing planets, the scientific victory has already been reworked. I would love a satellite layer separate from projects, and more missions to scout Moon, Mars, send satellite to explore interstellar space, etc. There's a lot Civ could take from CtP.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
  19. Pistol90

Pistol90 Warlord

It would be extreme disappointment for me ... waiting for year for another DLC/Expanssion and then not wanting to install it (maybe just patch if it comes). Right know I can somehow survive Giant death robot because I always play on Diety and game is usually few turns from winning when those finally come to exist.

20. RohirrimElf

RohirrimElf Emperor

Is there some kind of new zealand/Australian rivalry i am unaware off?

You know that civ quote: dogs look up to us, cats look down on us. pigs treat us like equals. As the dutch we think the brits are alright. We look up to Germany. And the Belgians look down on us. They treat us like dirt but they know we are better then them.

(i am about to get roasted by someone from Belgium. Please be kind to me. And take that container from the road blocking our path)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.