G20. How is this possible?

Orange Seeds

playing with cymbals
[...]But the focus today – as it was yesterday – was on the massive security costs of next month’s G8 and G20 summits. Liberal leader Michael Ignatieff led the charge, accusing the government of incompetence and reckless spending, calling the planning of the summit “comical.”

“We would not organize a children's party this way and now we are on the hook for a billion dollar security charge on top of a $54 billion deficit,” Mr. Ignatieff said. “Canadian families who do balance their budgets wonder why this incompetence has been allowed to happen.”

Transport Minister John Baird, filling in for Prime Minister Stephen Harper, fired back that Mr. Ignatieff never misses a “chance to run down Canada.”

“Since 9/11 security is a new reality and we will not be intimidated by thugs and terrorists who would want to come to Canada and cause us harm. We are going to make sure that people are safe,” he said, noting at another point too that the threats are out there given the recent firebombing of an Ottawa bank.

Following up was NDP Leader Jack Layton, who accused the Prime Minister of creating a fiasco by mismanaging both of the summits, their venues and agenda, and security concerns. He even said the Toronto Blue Jays are a “laughing stock of Major League Baseball” because games had to be moved to accommodate the summiteers.

All of this for $1-billion in taxpayers’ money. “Everybody remembers all too well the $1-billion boondoggle at HRDC, as it was called at the time under Jane Stewart,” Mr. Layton said.

“Now the Conservatives have their own $1-billion boondoggle at the G20 summit. … Previous G20 summits cost a mere fraction and they kept everybody safe: $18-million in Pittsburgh, $30 million in London. How can this government and these Conservatives justify spending 30 times more than London did just a year ago to talk about austerity?”

Mr. Baird repeated his assertions that security in this post 9/11 world is costly.

“Canada is providing major leadership on the world stage,” the Transport Minister said. “We are doing something that is unprecedented, hosting both the G8 and the G20. … The reality is, since 9/11 there is an unprecedented need to ensure that the leaders are safe and secure, that the meetings can take place, and that we can also ensure the safety for the people in both Muskoka and in the great city of Toronto.”

Globe and Mail

How does a government like this maintain power? My mind is blown entirely. This amounts to about $700, 000 per hour per official delegate. One billion dollars spent over 72 hours is more than the security costs for the two week long Olympics. At a time when the nation is not projected to be back into surplus for years to come, this an absurd appropriation of funds. Deficit jumps to 55 Billion dollars. It's time to storm the Bastille.

How the hell can you spend that much more money? The inefficiency is insane and I highly doubt everyone is being trustworthy. Someone is pocketing dough.

Tories suck. And so does the opposition, to a marginally lesser extent, with the exception of the Bloc.

Ship them to the Bay of Pigs. The Canadian one to be precise(without telling beforehand). You need minimal security, and they will agree to anything just to be able to get away as soon as possible.

I wonder what the additional economic damage from locking down Toronto costs.

Do we have any kind of breakdown of the billion? There has to be some kind of nonsense with the figures, it just cant cost 40x glenneagles.

I wonder if Harper is going to be on time for the photo-ops this year... :hmm:

I think the only way to get rid of the Reform/Alliance-in-Tory-clothing is to "unite the left." But considering that a lot of Liberals are actually Blue Liberals, I really can't see them willingly cooperating that much with the NDP. :(

Do we have any kind of breakdown of the billion? There has to be some kind of nonsense with the figures, it just cant cost 40x glenneagles.

I tried searching for budget records, but couldn't find any recent ones. Maybe they got it off insiders, and said government documents they said they relied on will be published later. Or someone with stronger Google Fu can prove me wrong.

I tried searching for budget records, but couldn't find any recent ones. Maybe they got it off insiders, and said government documents they said they relied on will be published later. Or someone with stronger Google Fu can prove me wrong.

$930 billion is the figure released by the Government's 'fiscal updates.' Both the liberals and NDP have formally requested that Kevin Page of the Parliamentary Budget Office be given access to the actual dollar allocation.

Globe and Mail

I'm amazed at the lack of press this is getting. This may be one of the biggest funding scandals in Canadian history. Interestingly, only the National Post is giving this the coverage it deserves.

I just really don't understand why it has to be in downtown Toronto. They could host this out in the Rockies, or perhaps in Newfoundland, and everything would be far more beautiful, and far more secure.

I wonder if Harper is going to be on time for the photo-ops this year... :hmm:

I think the only way to get rid of the Reform/Alliance-in-Tory-clothing is to "unite the left." But considering that a lot of Liberals are actually Blue Liberals, I really can't see them willingly cooperating that much with the NDP. :(

That could also be sought through electoral reform such that Red Tories would no longer have to buddy-up with them to seize power. :p

Does anyone know of a page that lists uhh who our official representative in government is? What would that be, an MP?

I want to write a letter. An angry letter.

You can find your MP by entering your postal code here.

An angry (or polite) telephone call would probably be easier IMO.:p

Top Bottom