Game Schedule 2019-2022

I have set GOTM 179 Russia as my goal for a first victory in the game of the month competition, so I look forward to playing it but not making it.
I will accept assignment as designer of any one of the games from the fourth quarter of 2020 onward at your discretion. I want to review the feedback, if any, from my design of India Monarch GoTM 178 before I make anothert game.

I was hoping to play that one myself and perhaps earn my first victory, but you may assign me any one of the other upcoming games to design.

really no other takers? i would really like to help, but i have no civ installed at the moment plus won´t be available for another month... i really hope we can lift that lonesome burden from Piu to keep the XOTM alive.
t_x

Thanks, templar_x, but I really have gotten a lot of support in designing games. I make only about half of them myself.

What worries me more is the very low activity in the spoiler threads. If we never talk about our games, we might as well play them in solitude.

Instructions for creating a GOTM game

1. Download the appropriate base scenario file from this thread. There are two zip archives for GOTM/PtW and COTM/C3C, respectively. GOTM.zip contains just GOTM.bix, whereas COTM.zip contains COTM.biq and COTM_A.biq. The difference between the latter is that the first contains China but not Austria and the second contains Austria but not China.
  2. Open the editor of either PtW or C3C suitable for the game you are creating.
  3. In the editor, open the base scenario file. Save under a new name suitbale for your game so you don't destroy the contents of the base scenario file.
  4. Open the Scenario Properties... dialog and in the Description on the first tab change the x-es in GOTM0XXX_OPEN or COTM0xxx_OPEN to the appropriate game number of the game you are creating. Save again.
  5. Still in the Scenario Properties, on the tab Players, set the first Player to the appropriate Civilization of the game you are creating.
  6. Still on the Players tab, set the Difficulty Level to the appropriate Difficulty Level of the game you are creating. Save again.
  7. Create the game as you find suitable keeping the following caveats in mind:
    1. Flood Plains cause Disease on Play the World. It may be a good idea to avoid putting them directly around the playable Capital.
    2. One-tile islands can make the Victory Condition Conquest very difficult to achieve, as there are very few amphibious units available.
    3. If you use a generated map, select a starting location for Player 1. Check all starting locations and move them one or two tiles if reasonable, since they are oftentimes placed in a non-optimal way. The AI always settles at first opportunity, so help it make the right decision.
  8. Save the scenario. Start the game programme.
  9. Some settings are not taken over from the scenario, but from the previous game played. Therefore, if you have made any of the following settings (the list may not necessarily be complete), create a dummy game from the menu item "New Game" and apply the settings there. Use the intended playable Civilization, for this is one of the affected settings. Start the game, play one round and save. Now press shift-ctrl-Q to exit the game and get back to the main menu.
    1. Map size change for a 100k game in Conquests. The cultural limit is chosen according to the map size of the previous game and not that of the scenario.
    2. The setting "No Barbarians". It is replaced by the Barbarian setting of the previous game.
    3. There may be more similar bugs.
  10. Load the scenario into the game. Click away the initial welcome message. Make a screen dump to be used for creating the starting location picture. Save the game in order to create the published starting save.
  11. Please, if you can, play the game in order to test it and see if your design works as intended. If needed, go back to the editor, make changes and repeat from item 8. above.
  12. Open the screen dump in a picture editor and cut it down to show just the starting location. Use this picture to create the Spoilers Thread in the Forum. This thread should ideally be started three days before game release.
  13. Email the correct save to AlanH. This can be done months ahead of time.

Attachments

• GOTM.zip
    23.3 KB · Views: 144
  • COTM.zip
    67 KB · Views: 160
  • PediaIcons.txt
    92 KB · Views: 59
  • De_PediaIcons.txt
    92.1 KB · Views: 66
Più Freddo makes most of the games and we owe him a big thanks for that. I've made a few games recently and it is great fun. I encourage everyone to give it a go. It's as much fun as playing the games, but in a different way. I'm looking forward to Bob Frank's GOTM 182, and I'm expecting a win at the Emperor level!

I can't figure out how to play games in Civ 3 Play the World with my Civ 3 Complete from steam. I can't find the Civ 3 Play The World disc i played on several years ago. I can still make a civ 3 play the world game, but will have difficulty testing it. Not sure how much of an issue this is.

Bob, I don't think you can play Play the World on Steam. I'm pretty sure Steam only gives the Conquests version of Civ3.
What I did was buy a used PTW disc on eBay and I have it loaded on an old computer. I use that computer for PTW and another old, but less old, computer for the Conquests games.
It's certainly not as easy and straight forward as it could be.

There are NO solicited or sponsored victory conditions anymore. We removed that when we reduced the number of games per year. You can always play towards the victory condition of your choice.

count me in as the designer for the Hittites game in October!
t_x

I would like to design GOTM 185. I hope I did understand the instructions, because my English is not very good. Do I have to write a description? This could be a problem...

Top Bottom